Alaska trip failures

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EM-50, Oct 14, 2009.

1. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    First, let me say that you are going to have a great time.
    Next hing that pops out to me is that you will probably ride a lot farther each day than you think. Unless you are working on the road or dead set to get a ride report posted from ther road. (DAMHIK). The Alaska highway is just lots and lot of really long days strung together. 99% of it is now paved. Reasonably smooth and a pretty easy ride. It's daylight up there for longer too and since all you are doing is riding you feel like you are cheating yourself if you stop early.
    Next thing I'm wondering is ferry from Seattle to Vancouver? Why? Much faster to ride it and the road up near Bellingham is very scenic. Just wondering. I've done the ferry thing over to Vancouver island or Widbey Island so I would miss Seattle before but not from Seattle.
    At any rate, you could get there a lot faster if you so choose.....and still see lots of stuff.
    Either way, keep snooping around here and you can find out just about anything you want about the trip, the road, the ferries, gear, etc.

2. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend putting a fresh set of TKC's on in Fairbanks.

Take your time, the road conditions can be difficult, slow down for the wet stuff and loose gravel. Approaching trucks can kick up blinding dust clouds, slow down for them. But y'all knew that!
    Late June and early July the bugs are likely to be ferocious. If you've never experienced a summer in the north you're in for a treat!:lol3

Don't worry about bears much, they will be on the rivers fishing or out hunting caribou. Though there is a bear up there who has a taste for Anchorage lawyers.

There's terrific burger place a few miles north of the Yukon river.
    Coldfoot has good food and beer and is the only predictable fuel stop.
    You'll need to squeeze 250 miles out of a tank.
    Be sure to try the buffet at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel! It's worth the trip!
  3. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Contact AKTracks. He has a bitchin new tire changer and can do this for you expeditiously. Good people and trustworthy.

Called the Hot Spot. It's on the left as you go north. It's got flags posted (like a car sales lot) out at the road. Otherwise, you can't really see it from the road.
  4. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    NO NO NO! Not WD-40! Soap and water! Otherwise your tire might slip on the rim- which can be bad!
  5. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  6. EM-50

EM-50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick thanks to all who replied. This has been a great source of info. There is so much information information on the site it's hard to go through.I'm lookin at a early June departure. Anybody up for a beer at the end of the Dalton?
  7. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  8. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Need to breed some more bears like that one and import them to California!
  9. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Never thought of changing the tire that way. And I just bought a NoMar tire changer.
  10. GOMA

GOMA Get Off My A$$

Oddometer:
    OK, so I've seen at least four or five posts here about peeps going to Prudhoe Bay in June(ish) 2010. We're doing San Diego up the coast to PB via Dalton. Anyone have/start a thread on planning in the planning section... I'm a friggin noob who is doing it anyway(with another noob, cause noobs do what noobs do) but if I have a reason to raise a glass along the way with others then more the better.
  11. daq7

daq7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be doing the ride to Prudhoe probably in 2012 when I get my sabbatical. I have not purchased a DS bike yet but likely will next summer to do a bunch of motorcycle camping here in Colorado.

I am kind of leaning toward an F800, but I must admit it is discouraging to hear that taking it to Prudhoe runs the risk of doing a lot of damage to it just from the chemicals on the road. For a long time I had settled on a KLR for reasons just like this. I don't want to trash a more expensive bike on long adventure rides, but I just can't resist the F800. I am trying to talk myself into spending less by going with a G650 GS, but it seems that might not be as comfortable on the highway.
  12. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was a brand new bike. Most of it washes off.

[​IMG]
  13. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets see the clean pic now.:D
  14. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought about this but it comes down to departure dates.
    Most of you guys from the south seem to want to leave in late May or early June.
    Being from the north I would rather wait until late June or early July. This is because it is still pretty cool and possibly snowing where I live at this time of year. And I'm sure its only going to get colder in Alaska.
    So we are waiting for some warmth!:D Which is anything above -10 or so. Clouds of mosquitoes we already have.
    But maybe a common thread with some approximate dates would be a good idea. Maybe a few of us could hook up on the Dalton.
  15. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is clean :D

[​IMG]
  16. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If some of you folks are looking at dates when to go to Alaska you really, really should be designing your itinerary around D2D. It's in the Alaska forum.
  17. Z50Pilot

Z50Pilot Sparky

Oddometer:
    You had better bring your own and drink it in your room, there is a strict no alcohol policy up there.
  18. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He didn't say which end of the Dalton. :evil
  19. greenjeans

greenjeans man with purpose

Oddometer:
    plan on being in Tok by June 21st and you'll be with a bunch of alaskan dualsporters who are going on the D2D, called dusk to Dawson, annual party, i was up there in '07 on my KLR...have a GSA now and wanna go too...i left on the 13th June and returned on the 4th July, 21 days 6000 mi. it was grand...but could be better(GSA)..leaving early does give you the jump on the RV crowd..most schools don't let out till end of June so mom,pop & the munchkins aren't out on the road yet:lol3
  20. motodavid2000

motodavid2000 MotoDavid

Oddometer:
    Greetings -

I just did this trip from Ohio to Deadhorse and back in 35 days and I did it solo and happy that I did ~10,000 miles. I do not feel that I would have been better off with another rider or a group. No crashes and my 2008 R1200GS/A gave me ZERO problems.

I rode across the Yukon Territory on the Campbell and the southern section was more desolate than anything else I rode, including the Dalton.

BTW, you DO need knobbies on portions of the Dalton when its wet, and I would suggest the same on the Dempster when its wet. PM me with any specifics or drop a note on my RR (in sig line) if you have a question.

This ride is NOT technical, just lots of miles and if help is needed, it is not that tough to find, but it might be expensive due to distances involved. Alaska is a VERY big place. Take a SPOT with you if you or your wife are really concerned.

Good luck - Dave