Alaska trip failures

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EM-50, Oct 14, 2009.

1. JZracecolor

JZracecolor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

No real problems the whole run. Bailed out more than one rider with the extra fuel ( Though I never needed it)
    Took way to many tools but made life easy with "on the road" maintenance

Three of us made the run from Fairbanks to the bay in one day and back the next
    [​IMG]

The last stretch into Deadhorse was the most challenging riding I've ever done. The gravel was treacherous! 35mph cross wind and us wicking it up 65-70mph the whole run. Bragging rights and all.....

Was a damn stupid thing to do but testosterone is a helluva drug.

[​IMG]

^^^^ My mate from Austrailia... He flew all the way to the states to be abused..... He was ready to fly the hell out of deadhorse by the time we made it in ( I beat him there )
    :rayof:wings:rilla:gdog:ken:dizave

Was the trip of a lifetime...

15000 miles 30 days

When I got home I was pretty much...been there .....done that.. Didn't buy the damn T-shirt at Dead horse
    :asshat

After a few months......... I'd do it again
    :clap
  2. TPD

TPD Serious Dreamer

Oddometer:
    $357.- at Barb's shop in Anchorage + $70.- for mounting.

I was riding a 2002 1150 GSA up to Prudhoe from Florida this summer.
    Changed rear tire as well at Missoula (Tourance), great guys at Big Sky.
    13,600 miles, Burned out headlight, oil change, tires that's
    it, no other problems.
    Avg. was 42mpg. Rear brake pads still
    okay, looks more like a problem if riding through the sticky wet stuff for extended time.
    BMW dealership in Fairbanks is very friendly but expensive (did oil change there)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. PITS

PITS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    !!!!!!
    what a trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap :clap
  4. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Hey, I recognize that fuel stop. Isn't on the way to Dawson City, YT? At the end of the Dempster. Last year I paid $30 to fill my tank there!
  5. JZracecolor

JZracecolor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope......

That's Cold Foot on the return from Deadhorse
  6. TPD

TPD Serious Dreamer

Oddometer:
  7. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    My bad. The old memory ain't what it used to be! :lol3
  8. bobinaustin

bobinaustin planning for the adv

Oddometer:
    alright i cant take it any more...

i just got my first BMW, a new to me R1150GS (2004) and i am planning on a trip to Alaska next summer. i stumbled on this thread and i have looked in vain for any information on what exactly a ring antenna is.

i am noob. i own my noobness.
  9. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike doesn't have one. So start planning.
  10. bobinaustin

bobinaustin planning for the adv

Oddometer:
    well, i mean i have been planning for a while now. actually i am quit far along in the plan. but i was curious what some of the expected maintenance issues were on such a long journey. this one (the antenna ring) is the one that i wasnt sure of.

just out of curiosity, what is it? and what bikes is it on?
  11. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    It's an anti-theft device forced on the bike by paranoid insurance companies. The key has a chip and the ring picks it up and if it doesn't pick it up, or if it malfunctions, then the motor won't run.

There's an alaskan legend about a guy who stopped in Alaska to photograph some grizzlies. He turned off his bike. The grizzlies got closer... and he got eaten alive because his antenna ring failed. The grizzlies ate everything- side cases, handle bars, tires... everthing except his 'stich and his stock seat.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    I need to follow this :evil
  13. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    I use to think my bike was safe because when it is out of the garage I am always on it but this has me a little concerned:

From Phuck me! Bike stolen last night...

14. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just compiling my parts list now. Got a new set of TKC80's delivered yesterday. I plan to install them in Whitehorse.
    I was going to order:
    air filter
    oil filters (I'll change it out in a WalMart lot if I have to)
    spare bulbs
    brake pads
    Since I was going to service the bike before I leave the plugs will be new. How much dust on the Dalton? Do you need to swap an air filter out?
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dust??? Dalton??? I guess... maybe. Think mud.
  16. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep :nod -
    [​IMG]

That too :eek1 -
    [​IMG]
  17. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Going back through this thread (can't believe I hadn't noticed it earlier :scratch ) and reading riders' concerns with the damaging effects of CaCl2 on metals, reminded me of one of the tricks I've adopted for my bikes: The axles get a good coating of anti-seize before being inserted. After having to drive an axle bolt out once, at the risk of ruining wheel bearings, decided that prevention is a better method. That Dalton mud will get into every crack and crevice, and even a pressure washing in Fairbanks will only remove the stuff on the surface. There will always be some left to discover in a major teardown. "We don't need no steenkin' souvenir, we got the mud to prove it!" :lol3

There may be other fasteners on a bike that can benefit from the application of anti-seize (although on my KLR Loctite gets priority :rofl ), and I use a lot of the stuff when maintaining my machines. While some advise using a waterproof grease, my experience has shown that anti-seize adheres better, and will do a better job of protecting the surface. When I worked at a salmon hatchery years ago, we used to coat the threads on shackle bolts with anti-seize before putting them into saltwater in the spring, and when we had to remove them in the fall they came right out.
  18. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now I just knew that you would post a picture of the dust on the haul road. I had imagined it might be a pic of you covered in an inch of dust. But I think you'll agree that the dust kicked up by the trucks is a minor concern compared to the muck and mud of the calcium chloride.
  19. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Well... at least you don't breathe the mud. But it seems that sometimes you actually taste it. :puke2

On one ride there was a strip of mud about a foot wide all the way up my back, to the top of my helmet. Didn't wash that suit for three months, looking for a chance to have myself photographed wearing it. :rofl
  20. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:

Hi,

I spent 41 days and 10,500 miles riding around the far north, ie, BC, Yukon, and Alaska. I had a flat tire near Valdez. Sure, mechanical things can and do break, but if your GS is in mechanically sound condition and you've done your preventative maintenance, and have good rubber, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'll don my flame suit now, but I think the "myth" of Alaska as being the rugged place where only the hardiest riders and toughest bikes survive is funny. Sure, there are lots of "off road" opportunities, and countless miles of dirt roads, but in general the riding in, and to AK is pretty benign.

I only say this, because I know of riders who didn't go because they were put off by the distances, the supposed rigor of the ride, or they felt they didn't have the mechanical aptitude to cover the challenges. Just make sure your bike is in good shape, spoon on some new rubber, make the appropriate ferry reservations if need be, and have fun!

Of course, take all this with a grain of salt...I decided on a Monday to do a "Four Corners in 21 Days" ride and left on Wednesday morning, so YMMV!:rofl

Have fun up there, and take lots of pix!

Steve