Alaska under 29 days?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Ge-Mini-gun, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Try to include D2D. You will meet locals who can assist both of you (and others) in your FarNorth adventure. Keep us posted.
  2. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Keith and I need to nail down a date first. Being the first time up that way any help would be nice.
  3. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    JUNE!
  4. SkylineKeith

SkylineKeith Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer:
    WooooHoooooooooooo! Take off hoser! Take off to the Great White North.

I'm ready, willing and able.
  5. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Dude; Hosers live south and east of here.
    Don't ever forget that. :huh :huh
  6. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    You are the champion, upon whose tracks we are unworthy to wipe out on. 26 hours to Deadhorse and back.....in frickin credible. :thumb :thumb
  7. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I was too tight to pay $160 for a room at the Artic Oilfield Hotel, it was too cold to camp, And I was too scared to rough it with the bears...great motivators all :lol3

I'd talked myself into not going to Prudhoe while on the Inside Passage Ferry, amongst other things my bike didn't have the fuel range, and I thought I could spend the time riding somewhere nicer rather than going somewhere just to say i'd been.
    I reckoned i'd just hit the Artic Circle, snap a few pics and head back to Fairbanks, thinking there was nothing to see but tundra any further north.
    I had a few chores to take care of in Fairbanks, order tyres, upload some pics etc. so didn't leave until lunch.
    I got talking to the chap in the small visitors centre on the right just after you cross the Yukon. He pretty much told me i'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least go as far as the Brooks Range and do Atigun Pass.
    I went across the road to fuel up and got talking to the mechanic over at the workshop there, told him the same story, got the same response. He leaned over behind the fuel pump and pulled out a 1 1/2 gallon plastic gas can, "I keep this here just for the bikes, take it with you, fill it at Coldfoot, just put it back where you found it on your way back."
    So, right there and then, I'd lost my last excuse for not going all the way, it's not like I was going to run out of daylight either :D

Once I'd crossed The Brooks, a quick look at the GPS, figured 'bout 3 more hours to Prudhoe. The road was dry as a bone, weather was gorgeous, I now had the fuel, may never be here again, and I was having a blast and didn't want to get off the bike...what the heck, might as well go for it.

If i'd planned a little better I could've made an IBA ride out of it. I was in sightseeing mode for most of the trip, wouldn't have been too hard to chop two hours off it and make it official, but I like to stay flexible and trust in the road gods...as you can probably tell i'm not too big on planning. :wink:
  8. pmdave

pmdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the big problems with Alaska dreamers is the scale of the maps we look at. On US maps, they tuck a large Hawaii just off the California coast, and a piddling-size Alaska next to Seattle. If you look at the scale, you suddenly realize Alaska is about the same size as Texas plus California plus Oregon.

Years ago I had some British friends show up to "see the USA". Same problem. They didn't realize that the USA is several times the size of Europe, which is much larger than GB. Most of the riders put up for the night at our place near Seattle. One guy said he wanted to get in some miles before he turned in. I asked him what destination he had in mind. He said "San Francisco". Of course, he had the entire USA on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, so it was only a finger or so from Seattle to SF. (about 1,000 miles)

Or, for a different perspective, consider that if you fly in a jet from say WA DC to Seattle, and then from Seattle to Anchorage, you'll be in the air for the better part of two days, at roughly 400 mph.

So, when you say you want to "see Alaska", that's sort of like saying "I want to see the Western half of the USA. Can I do that in two weeks (or whatever)?" You could spend two weeks between San Francisco and Los Angeles, and be rushed for time. That's why the Alaska folks are trying their best not to chuckle, and encouraging you to do the long transits in the silver tube, so you can spend your quality time in Alaska on a motorcycle. (rented, purchased, borrowed, or shipped)

If you want to see Banff, consider taking your vacation to go see Banff. Toss in Glacier National Park on the way, and a few hundred other really scenic places, and you'll squander your month in good form.

pmdave
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You been flying w/ the silk scarf and leather helmet types again, haven't ya! It's a long flight that will suck wildy... but they got the time down some lately. It'll take 1/2 a day to do that flight. Ballpark.
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Pilots these days have got the route down a little better. They must be using those smaller maps. Flight time.. Seattle to Anchortown about 3.5 hours.
    :evil
    Not sure about flight times to Seattle... your mileage may vary.
    Personally, I hate to fly. :nod
  11. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Last big air trip was Anchorage to Memephis, about 12 hours of sniveling whining crying traveling with small children hell, but I stopped my fits as soon as we got on the ground again.

A-Dubya, you are still a riding machine in my book. :bow I've been up the Dalton to the AC once, but in a cage. with the wife and 2 exchange students. We went from Wasilla to the AC in one long damn day....the girls decided to wade in the Yukon and the water was really cold. The girl from Germany mentioned that she could no longer feel her feet. I told her that was a sign to come back to shore before she fell in and washed up out in Kotzebue or somewhere.

But like Adub says, you're here and you might not get a chance like this again. At least go to the Arctic Circle. Just remember to fill er up at the Yukon, it's the last gas fer a long dang way.
  12. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    I know that this is going to be a 10,000 mile trip. That said, I think Keith and I are crazy enough to do it. We have lot's of planning ahead of us though.
  13. pmdave

pmdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, OK, geeeeze! You guys are correct, the jet pilots use the small maps or something. But yes, I've been flying in an open cockpit biplane.

According to Orbitz, you can catch a flight from IAD to SEA, departing Washington DC at 7:30a, arriving Seattle roughly 6 hours later. Quickest plane change is about one hour. Then depart SEA for ANC at 11:10 (SEA time) arriving Anchorage at 1:49p (ANC time) Total trip time, assuming no delays: 10 hours 19 minutes (+ check-in & security screening time)

The return trip requires about 12 hours flight time plus check-in & security. Typically, departing ANC 2:27p, layover in Seattle, departing SEA 10:43 (SEA time) arriving IAD 6:31a the next morning. (Eastern time) Total trip time: 12 hours 4 min.

So, it's not really two days, if you don't count the red-eye flight eastbound. But I'd still call it "one day" each way.

My point is still that it's a long way to Anchorage, and if you intend to ride a bike you need to allow plenty of time. If time is limited, the option of flying/renting allows you more time to see Alaska, and less time droning across the prairies. For those of us living in the Northwest, we only have about 2,500 miles to Anchorage.

One other option for the time-limited: ride your bike across the country, store it in Seattle or Vancouver, then fly back and continue the trip north. Or take the whole month getting to Anchorage, then store the bike there and fly home. Go back when you have more time and ride the bike home again. If you ask around, you'll find fellow riders willing to store your bike for you.

pmdave :thumb
  14. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Well said PMD..... yudaman. :nod :nod :nod
  15. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn Fighter:

Sounds so nice that I may have to retire early and do the AK trip in 60days and enjoy the hell out of it!!! :evil :thumb

Hope all is well--wanna buy some white bags!!! :wink:

16. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:

I'm thinking I could get up and back in two weeks also if I rode by myself and didn't dilly dally.

What part of Alaska are you aiming for?
  17. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Good to hear from ya AZB. I think you should come see us. 60 days would be a nice relaxing trip. :nod
    How are you getting along with that new 12?
    I threw a set of Bitubo shocks on Big Bird last year at the Nationals. Now I'll have to keep her for another 20 years. I rode a 12 last year and was very, very, impressed. Way cool motorcycle.
  18. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    In 1998 I did Nova Scotia to Prince Rupert, boat to Skagway, Dawson City, F'banks, Anchorage, Homer then by road back to Nova Scotia. About 12,000 miles in 26 riding days ( plus 2 days on the ferry ).

My advice.... Go for it !

trip report is here
  19. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just read your report, looks like you had a great trip. Only wanted to mention one thing-none of the volcanos you mentioned are dormant. They just weren't awake when you came through. Barb
  20. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    That's what I needed to hear! Nice report. :thumb