Alaskan Ferry Question - Whittier to Valdez - Standby late June?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by bigjohnsd, May 13, 2019.

1. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    A motley crew of four of us are riding to D2D then into Alaska and back to home in June/July.

The Whittier - Valdez Ferry was "Full" on June 28th when we tried to make reservations for the four bikes.

They gave us reservations for July 1st.

Would some of you Alaskans with experience give me some idea of the likelihood of 4 bikes getting on the ferry standby on the 28th of June?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

John
  2. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it's only a few days delay. Could you possibly check out another part of our beautiful state while your waiting? As to getting on a full ferry with bikes it happens all the time. I have showed up at the wrong date in the wrong city in the wrong country and got on the ferry but that is one or two bikes. Keep checking with the ferry system because there could be a tour company that did not fill all of their seats so they cancel.
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  3. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    You all have to show up at the ferry terminal the 28th and get put on stand by. 50/50.
    bigjohnsd and Bigbob1 like this.
  4. bigjohnsd

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
  5. bigjohnsd

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve never NOT been able to get on a ferry on a bike, even when full, but I’ve also never been in a group of four bikes.

Seems like a good idea would be to make sure everyone agrees in advance on what should happen if the ferry can only take some of you....

PS - lived in SE AK for several years and the marine highway was my preferred method in/out vs a plane
    windypoint and AKDuc like this.
  7. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    The Whittier-Valdez ferry gets pretty crowded during peak tourist season. You could be standby bike # 10+. Yes, they can usually squeeze you in but you better have a backup plan. Also bring your own tie downs!
    AKDuc likes this.
  8. bigjohnsd

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all.
  9. bshirley85

bshirley85 n00b

Oddometer:
    Which ferry are you using? I'm looking to go bellingham to whittier, late june or early july. How much did it cost? I'm a solo traveler and heard you can camp on the deck of the ship. Viking ferry calculator said it was going to be $1800 just for the bike?! That can't be right...
  10. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    That's the right price. Then you have to pay your fare and food.
  11. Drachenfels

Drachenfels Wayfairing Stranger

Oddometer:
    I've done that ferry (Whittier / Valdez) twice - and would seriously doubt that you're going to get lucky until 1 July. Two options - there is tons to see and do in the area; either enjoy the extra time and check out Seward, Soldotna, and Homer would be plan A; plan B would be to simply ride to Anchorage, then Glenallen... another pretty ride. Enjoy!
    wilsonjw42 likes this.