Alaska's Last Frontier Rally

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by legion, Mar 28, 2005.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Up for a little adventure? This is the place. I've attended for the last several years and have noticed a few others there. Seen Ace Dauber, Fighter, and a handful of other nutbars from this site and a bunch of travellers that were coming through for the summer or specifically for the rally and filling in their trip w/ other parts of Alaska on their way up and back out.

[​IMG]
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Good call...... Legion
    The Northern Riders put on a super rally.
    Great sight, great grub, great people.
    One of the best. :thumb
  3. RV'nGS'r

RV'nGS'r Homeless trailer trash

Oddometer:
    I'm coming up from FL. Checks in the mail. I want my pin. Do'n the Dog Wood @ Vicksburg this week end. See ya up there!
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    We'll have the coffee on.

Don't forget your bug dope. You'll be glad you've got it starting about Canada. :uhoh :lol3 :thumb
  5. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Great....you might get the long distance award!!!

but the slow race trophy will be mine (again) :evil :lol3
  6. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    A slow race? I've been practicing for that all my life.
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
  8. akjohn

akjohn AKjohn

Oddometer:
    watching Moto Gp at Laguna Seca. I would like to attend both events. But, as much I will miss attending the local fiesta, I am looking forward to watching Rossi and the rest of the Moto GP madmen scream at Laguna. jb
  9. globaldude

globaldude AdrenelineJunkie

Oddometer:
    Legion,
    I'd love to make the rally too, but leave for LA on the 7th.

But, AkJohn, as soon as I get a battery in my KLR that I leave in LA, I might be up for a little Moto Gp. Too late to get tickets, or what? What about a room? Any info you can share would be much appreciated. :wink:

I'll be in the LA area the 7th-10th, then to Salt Lake/Park City, Oakland, Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, Baltimore, and back home July 27th for two days before a little shark fishing in P.W.Sound. This lower 48 travel/work stuff is really interfering with my Alaska summer plans. :huh

Later,

Globaldude
  10. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Same very small core group doing all the work for the last 16/17 years and they've earned a break. Shitload of work to put on a good rally and an esoteric reward.

12. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    We're facing the same problem here. Lots of resistance to change, too. We are still doing it the same way after 26 years. Way too much labor for the ones actually doing the work. If it actually gets done in 2006, it will be without me.
  13. akjohn

akjohn AKjohn

Oddometer:
    Tickets are still available. You can order online at the Laguna Seca site.
    http://www.laguna-seca.com/Tickets/
    The challenge is getting a room anywhere near the track. I would happy to offer some space in my room (reserved last October) but my significant other is going with me...things could get a litle crowded. :-) As a last resort I see there is still unimproved off-site camping available near the track.
    I know there are a bunch of Alaskan folks going. Check with Barb...she may have a handle on who is going. Maybe one of those guys have some floor space to share.
    2 days ago I saw that guy on the BMWSporttouring site had a a package of ticket, paddock pass and grand standing seating for sale for $145. Seeing how paddock passes are going for $300 on Ebay, this is a real bargain.
    Drop me a line if I can assist...jb
  14. globaldude

globaldude AdrenelineJunkie

Oddometer:
  15. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Beginning July 5th, I am coordinating after work (Pau Hana) rides on Tuesday's from 6:30pm-9ish. The first ride is the Hatcher Pass loop from Palmer to Willow. See http://www.vstromalaska.com for more info.
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Don't believe we've met before. You ridden w/ any of this group or the N/Riders group? What's a pau hana? This you on the left?

Looks like Howler the Creamster on the right, no?

Are you attending the Last Frontier Rally? There will be a couple die hard Strommers there.

[​IMG]

edit: please select a different avatar, akphotog. the one you have selected is in use by a member that posts regularly on this board and in this section. tx.
  17. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Legion, pau hana is one Globie will be most familiar with. Its pidgen for "after work".
  18. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pau Hana: an excuse to meet, eat and drink after work. An old island tradition first started by Captain Jame Cook as an excuse to sell rum to the Hawaiins. Practiced by tourist who don't go to work but are willing to start Pau Hanaing as soon as the plane touches down on the island.
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Great time heading up and over Hatcher Pass. Several riders went on a street ride. These nutters went over the top.

Xlnt rally and the last one for at least a couple years. Thanks to all for helping make it a great time and a particular thanks to the Glenn, Mari and Aaron family, Dave & Belinda, Kurt and Marianne, and Bill & Linda. They are behind the lion's share of the work that goes into something like this... the rest of us just enjoy.

Many thanks :thumb

[​IMG]
  20. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I also want to take this opportunity to thank them all. They have done so much for so little thanks. They are a very special bunch.
    A suggestion was floored to do a ride to Kodiak next year. I am thinking that might be a great idea.
    :bow Northern riders club leaders......................................!
    Gusgus