Alberta ADV riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GP640, Oct 17, 2007.

1. noved

noved Whitehorse

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know a good motorcycle appraiser, I had already used Paul and Keith at Mottorad but I am being ripped off by Blue Circle/wawanesa so I have to get a second one done to fight them. Any help would be appreciated.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  2. Dirt2Oil

Dirt2Oil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To the riders in Edmonton can you please tell me from your experience the best place to buy valve stems and balancing weights. I am going to be down there at the end of the month and would like to get them then. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Much Thanks.
  3. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m looking for like minded riders (call us old and slow if you want :rofl) who would like to connect for rides starting in the Edmonton, Alberta area. Does any of the following sound like you?
    • Older (probably 5X+)
    • Equipped, motivated, to ride dual sport and / or street legal dirt.
    • Has time available – perhaps retired or semi-retired, or self employed with flexibility.
    • Doesn’t want to “push the envelope” – the need for speed and challenging terrain is overshadowed by a desire to stay healthy.
    • Rides ATGATT, respectfully, and legally - well, more or less :wink:
    • Everything from an afternoon at the Bruderheim OHV area, Victoria Trail, to a few days on the Forestry Trunk Road or beyond.
    • From two riders to larger groups.
    • Pavement is OK too!
    Don’t get me wrong – I respect and envy the “faster, harder, damn the torpedoes” crowd, but at my age, an injury just takes too long to heal. Of course there’s always risk, but that’s riding.
    If this sounds interesting, drop me a PM with first name, what kind of riding you do (big – small – on/ off road bikes?), email and phone number would be good, and I’ll see what happens. I could see the group having a “sticky” on ADV and or ALBERTADUALSPORT.CA
    I won’t put anything up anywhere without checking back with all the respondents first.
    (Please make it stop snowing)
    Ron
  4. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    I'm Trying Ron, I'm really trying!

I bought my DR for just the kind of riding you're suggesting. Got my Happy Trails panniers and IMS tank last week and the shock goes out for rebuild next week. Could be 4-5 weeks before i'm riding it but still have the V-Strom.
  5. Millhaus

Millhaus Millhaus

Oddometer:
    Hey Luma,

I was down there last spring and have a couple of books and a map of the area. I live in Blairmore as well and am eagerly waiting for the snow to disappear! PM me if your interested.

Millhaus
  6. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Millhaus - what's the consensus on the snowpack in the Pass? Do you think we are looking at July before routes like North Fork & Racehorse are free of snow?
  7. Millhaus

Millhaus Millhaus

Oddometer:
    A good question. I work in the avalanche business and it there is about 1-1.5 meters in the valley bottoms and 2-3m at around 1900m. That said, I think with some solid rain it will be good by sometime in June although the river crossings will be...wet!

We are going to try the Kook in a couple of weeks.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    had a great little tour up Whistler Creek on Indian Ridge behind Marmot in Jasper today. Bluebird and good temps. Great way to spend my day off
  9. madjak30

madjak30 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the first ride of the season in Friday...only about 50-60kms, but man was it nice to be back on the road...went for a second ride on Sunday about 100kms...a little cool at 120kph, but I had a smile on my face for over an hour while riding...and for a couple more hours after...

Now, to plan the first road trip...:wink:

Later.
  10. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if there are any big group rides scheduled this year in western AB or eastern BC? I know there is the BC Traillie, but Kelowna is a bit far to ride out (especially on a 250s).

What I was thinking is a good 2-3 day ride, in good terrain, with a good mix of rough double/ mild single track. I know other regions have a lot of good group rides, but I haven't seen many for AB region.

I always thought Hinton or Nordeg area would be great for a staging location. That way both Calgary and Edmonton area riders could easily attend.
  11. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in a low key dual sport ride.

Lots of good riding down in south west Alberta. I've never really poked around Nordeg before.

I hope to do lots of dual sporting this year now that I have luggage bags, etc for the 650R.

If interested and in the Calgary area, lemme know. We try to get out on rides often.
  12. sarkmych

sarkmych Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Send me a pm or something. I'd be interested anytime. I'm pretty flexible with my schedule.
  13. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    Check out the ADSMC site I believe they do a ride down to the Cypress Hills area late May that sounds like what you have described.:D
  14. alberta bob

alberta bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (albertadualsport) They also do a ride in nordeg and the crows nest pass.:deal
  15. Mile Maker

Mile Maker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Alberta, only 150 km to a curvy road
    The Cypress Hills have alot of melting to do before the ADSMC ride at the end of May. On the bench i would say that there is an easy 2 foot of snow left. And then there's the drifts......
    These were taken just off of the 41 south. at the turn off for the toboggan hill.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  16. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Yikes... good thing we're not trying to do it in the 1st weekend of May (like previous years).
  17. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    :eek1
    With the arrival of another storm tonight it might need to be rescheduled for Canada Day:rofl I am really really getting tired of this:topes
  18. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh boy were my kids ever pissed off when they looked out the window this morning.

My son got a new bicycle and my daughter is itching to plant a garden.
    They'll have to wait till June at this rate.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I made the best of it with my supercharged snowplow.

[​IMG]
    :lol3
  20. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that if this is our yearly spring snow storm...it's early:lol3