Alberta highway advice

Discussion in 'Canada' started by NextRide, May 12, 2006.

1. NextRide

NextRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me about Alberta Highway 40 from Hinton to Grand Prairie? I'm picking a route to Alaska and have decided to go through Banff and Jasper. It looks like the best way from Jasper to Grand Prairie is Hwy 40. What is the road surface? Terrain? Scenery? Services? About how long will it take to go that route?

Any help at all is appreciated!
  2. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi: I'm about an hour from 40....was up it last year.....paved all the way...nice ,scenic route.

Hinton to Grande Prairie hmmm depends how fast you ride...maybe 3 hrs or so

:clap
  3. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    It's an excellent route w/ fun curves and good fast riding... but be watchful for animals! Any cycle w/ some sproingy legs can take it at up to 75-80mph. I just drove back up in my Tacoma w/ 600# in the back; handled it fine. The road surfaces aren't unlike anything else you'll have seen by the time you've travelled Banff>Jasper. Pretty good, that is!

Your best bet is to gas up in Jasper for just enough to get to Hinton, depending on your bikes thirsty legs. Forget about a hotel room in Hinton; all the oilfield/gas exploration crews have the rooms bought up, or pay $$$ for a lousy room. Grand Cache has good services and food mid-way toward Grand Prairie.

You should be able to rip it in less than 3 hours. Not a lot of scenery along the route (save your time for later up the road :deal).

Within the first 40 km of the Junction leaving Hinton, there are some steep coulees w/ bridges at the apex, bottom of the draw! Not the ones to over-cook going in...

Enjoy your trip!
  4. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    NR, give me a PM if you're coming into Fairbanks; we'll have a brew.
    Anything you wish to ship up here in advance, I have tons of storage space for a mid-trip cache.
    Safe travels!
  5. NextRide

NextRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of you guys for the info. I was a little worried about services along the route, but it seems that it's just a short trip.

Helikron: We'll be in Fairbanks, but I don't know when. It will really depend on the weather. Thanks for the invite! I'll be on a black F650 classic with homemade (ugly, but cheap) aluminum boxes attached. Hope to see you!
  6. sulman

sulman introvert

Oddometer:
    Paved and pleasant...took that route a few years back.

sul
  7. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    I crashed once half way along at Muskeg...

:huh :huh

Better to say, "I took a nap," or "I pulled over to sleep for a while," or ?!?! other than "I crashed"....
    :deal
    :thumb