Alberta Hwy Questions

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Fool4Buell, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Fool4Buell

Fool4Buell Accountant on Wheels

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a week-long dual sport ride from Seattle to Yellowknife next June. What is Alberta Highway 734 like? I'm interested in that as an alternative to Hwy 40 north of Grande Cache and would like some gravel. Is it generally open all the way? Any fuel or services? It looks like I'd have to fuel up in Hinton and then around Grande Praire somewhere.

Later in the summer, wife and I are taking our maxi-scooters to Edmonton (from Seattle, again). What route(s) would you recommend from Edmonton south to Glacier Nat'l Park? Highway 2 looks boring and we prefer 2 lane. The route needs to be paved and we'll have time to spend one night between Edmonton and Glacier.
  2. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Well, I cannot comment on Hwy 734 as I've never been on it. Hwy 40 is a nice ride from Hinton to Grand Prarie but there isn't much between Grand Cache and Grand prarie.

Now south from Edmonton I would suggest hwy 22. Hwy 22 is a 2 lane black top running from Mayerthorpe all the way south where it intersects hwy 3 west of Pincher creek. I enjoyed the drive when I rolled over that route a couple years back. Gets you away from the freeways and back into rural Alberta. You'd have to ride west from Edmonton for a bit to run into 22 but it would be worth it IMHO.
  3. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    If you want to plot a dirt route from Van. to Calgary, I can help. Search for posts by Stand Up. I also have pics, plots and tracks for most off road routes through southern BC. I'll be in Vancouver for servicing sometime near the end of May or June but it sounds like you will be in a hurry? I'd want to take 2 or 3 days just to get back to Calgary.
    Cheers,
    Stand Up