Albuquerque Ride

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GSDude, Dec 28, 2005.

1. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    Just relocated to Albuquerque and wanna ride my GS. I need some help on good off road and on road routes. I live by Cottonwood Mall off 7 Bar Loop.

DJ
  2. Number 6

Number 6 Minty-Fresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good for you! I got here about 6 months ago from the east coast, and the riding is great! There's a lot nearby, and in every direction. You're on the other side of town from me, and I'm sure some of the riders out there will chime in on what's closer to you, but here's one near me in the East Mountains:

You can take I-25 to I-40 east and exit at Tramway. Left onto Central heading east to Tijeras (Central is the old Route 66 and parallels I-40, becoming 333. That's a nice little stretch on 333, but you can also stay on I-40 and exit in Tijeras.).Turn right onto 337 and enter the Cibola National Forest. Nice switchbacks, but lots of those pesky road snakes. About 4-5 miles in, you can turn left onto Juan Tomas (it's also a group campground turnoff, but I don't remember the name).

Anyway, this goes from paved to dirt and is just fun enough. It turns into gravel, then paved again, and lets you out on 217. Head north onto 217, and you end up back onto Route 66 (aka 333). I like this little run because it's near my home!

Or, instead of turning into Cibola NP, keep going on 333 and head north on 14. This is a nice ride up the mountain, and on Sunday, lots of local club members stop at Dawn's for coffee. You can take this all the way to Santa Fe, or just have a little fun by turning left onto 536 (just past the Shell station on the right) and go into Sandia Crest. Lots of twistys, and you might not get going too fast, but sure is fun.

This is just the tip of the great riding you'll discover. Now, if you head north, there's even greater riding. If you want let's meet up and I'll share my maps!

Hey, I also recommend joining the local BMW club: Land of Enchantment BMW Riders http://www.nmbmwmc.org/ These are a good group of folks, with great info on NM.
  3. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Great town.. my sister lives on the east side of the mountain in Cedar Crest. I'm not sure of the names of the road, but there's an unimproved road that leads from the base of the ski area north along a stream bed - perfect for GS riding.

Then of course you do need to take Hwy 14 north thru Santa Fe to Taos and the loop through the Red River Canyon to Eagles Nest. What a ride..
  4. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm the sales manager at the new Sandia BMW Motorcycle dealership and have already met a few of the club members and they seem like a great bunch. If you want to ride this Sunday or Monday call me at the dealership, 884-0066 and we'll go burn it up.

Oh yeah, ask for Dean!
  5. Number 6

Number 6 Minty-Fresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I'll just drop on by!
  6. hoogavin

hoogavin KMHA

Oddometer:
    There's the Big Dog ride this Sunday (New Year's Day, weather permitting) which starts out at Hurricane's on Candelaria & Eubank in the AM. The full ride is about 300 miles, but you an cut off and make it shorter if you want. There's a thread on the LOEBMWR website about it. If you go, be watchful for ice patches in the shadows on the twisties up in the mountains.

Most every Sunday (with special events being the exception) a lot of the club members meet at the El Camino on 4th street (north of Osuna on the east side of the road) for breakfast at around 7:45 - 8:00. Come by and meet some of the club regulars. They are a wealth of knowledge about the local (and not so local) riding opportunities.

BTW, I was by the dealership and met you on the 27th. Congrats, and best of luck on your new job. That's a good outfit you work for. Most of us here in ABQ are very happy about the "new" BMW m/c dealer in town. [​IMG]

Be safe out there.
  7. roberts

roberts GS'er

Oddometer:
    Dean,

Congratulations on your move to NM! I look forward to getting out of this city for the Sipapu Rally next year. Have you been to that rally? I always have a good time there. I've only ridden GS's in the area, but next time I'll be zipping around on the ST.

Robert

8. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    I love this place, cool people, great owner to work for and a very nice facility. When you come down, you'll always have a place to stay and a bike to ride! Let me know when you can make it to Albq.