All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Since the thread I started months ago ("Nothing much to do with scooters") got bumped to a part of the ADV forum where most of us scooter riders don't go, I thought I'd start another thread that is ONLY about scooting. Because I wouldn't want to offend the sensibilities of the Battle-tough Scooter riders who can't just skip a thread if it doesn't apply to them. Not mentioning any names.

I know that there are some scooter brothers and sisters who may be dealing with Mother Nature's ravages of winter... I'll try to do my part to keep some scooter content in here for them.

I admit, I don't read every thread here; who has that kind of time? But, if you want to wander off topic a bit - now and then - here's the thread for it.

I checked the Scooter Tag thread this morning, and realized I haven't participated all that much. Brett has been pulling his share in Hawaii, and I enjoy seeing that. Today, I went in search of "your scoot with a stadium" here in our town of about 5,000.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/01/git-yer-motor-runnin.html

I found something that I think meets the criteria and posted an easy-to-get tag: your scooter with a pink dolphin wearing a quilted jester's outfit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nah, just kidding - I made it a bit less specific than that. But, mostly, we were just out enjoying some time on the scoots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------

Yesterday, after quite of spell of not being able to get the boat out (during which I was thinking about scooters) due to a dredging operation on our island blocking our exit canal, we had a low enough tide that let us get out under a low bridge in another canal...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/01/we-make-break-for-it.html

[​IMG]

Lots of dolphins (who could only wish they could ride scooters - sadly, they cannot twist the throttle with their pectoral fins)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, some warm content for those who currently are dealing with the cold. What are you doing to occupy yourself 'till it is scooter weather again? Feel free to post about it here - while you're thinking about scooters, of course, so this thread doesn't disappear into the far edges of the forum.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/nothing-much-to-do-with-scooters.1186308/

Warm wishes,
    Captain Jim
    Salth2ofish and nomadicbrett like this.
  2. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being in the great white north(east), I had a nice 120 mile ride today. It was 26*F when I left this morning, but the roads were dry-so why not? No real special gear-just my Cortech kevlar reinforced cargo pants, my First Gear Jaunt jacket, a good pair of lined gloves, and a thin painters baclava under my full face. The Majesty has good enough wind protection that I didn't get cold at all. I had make a run to a specialty womans' store in Syracuse for Mrs. Mini, about 90 miles there and back-but who ever just goes to and back when on a scooter? I made an out of the way stop at a small cycle shop that is going to do some engine work for me while in Syracuse. The sun was shining (a rarity here lately) and it warmed up to 35* by the time I got home. The river in my backyard is still frozen over, so there won't be any Kayaking for a while. Sorry,I'm technologically challenged, so no pictures, but I did get a lot of smiles and thumbs up today.
    nomadicbrett and Cosmic_Jumper like this.
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    A big thumbs up from me, also! :thumb

You are one tough dude to be riding in those temps. There was a time (OK, decades ago) where I would do that. Now, if it is under 60º, I'd have to think real hard about gearing up. You may think I'm getting soft, but I prefer the more correct terminology: candy-ass. :nod

I do recall the time I got my Harley out in February when we lived in the frozen northland... I managed to hop off as it slid sideways off my driveway and softly rolled into a snowbank.

Thanks for sharing on this thread.

We stopped for BBQ for lunch today. The manager of the restaurant asked me about the scoots (he saw us when we pulled up)... how fast?... can you ride it across the causeway (55mph speed limit)?... mileage. I told him we filled up both bikes before stopping for lunch... $4.61. The total for both.
  4. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sort of funny but I this week when I was down to just a scoot in Houston I was balking at 50f temps but when I've had a car in the drive as well as a scoot I've ridden at 26f. Been a very damp cold here the sort that penetrates deep and no sunshine. Between that and dealing with workmen all day I simply didn't feel like gearing up to ride somewhere for dinner especially since I would then not be able to indulge in an adult beverage (I don't on 2 wheels especially after dark.) I sure am looking forward to some sunshine. Temp I don't care so much about but I want my sun.
  5. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    It's been soggy and cloudy and in the mid 50's here in the SF Bay Area, and so I took the time to shop for and buy some tires that fit my Honda Elite 250's. I ran into a free shipping deal and a great price for the Kenda K413 tires at Motorcycle Superstore ($28.00 each), so I ordered them and they showed up in 2 days! Today I took off the rear wheel, took it to my favorite tire guy who put on the new tire, came home and put everything together. Of course, by then it was dark and damp and what we call cold, so tomorrow I get to carefully scuff it up some on my local streets. The weather is supposed to get a bit drier, sunny and 60 on Saturday.
  6. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Weather is perfect in Phoenix. I moved one of my cars out of the garage, and put both scooters and the Sportster in there to make it easy to get them in and out without having to squeeze them through the front door. I'm riding as much as I can while I can. 100+ degree heat will be here all too soon.
  7. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    My scooter has been layed up since we knocked off for Xmas...I start back at work next week, and get the scooter out. Too hot at the moment, so it will be shorts and a T shirt.
    gasandasphalt likes this.
  8. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Route to Fernandina Beach.jpg

I had to meet with two clients in Amelia Island yesterday. Amelia Island is a very pleasant 45 mile ride up A1A through the Fort George Island and the Talbot Islands.

It was reasonably warm, around 60F with a threat of rain when I rode to my favorite restaurant before heading out.

When I came out of the restaurant, it was misty, leaving the scoot wet. But I decided to ride anyway.

I was pressed for time so, in this case, I had to ride up I-95 to Heckscher Drive in that heavy mist, getting wet along the way.

But it lightened, making for a reasonable ride on the good parts even though the temperature dropped to probably 50F as I got near the ocean.

After the meetings, I realized that I had been riding into a strong headwind on the way up, and had a nice downwind ride home.

Rocket performed very well, solid, stable and fast the entire way.

Rain threatened as I got closer to home, but it never hit. I was glad I decided to take the two wheel option.

Bill
    MiniBike and Wentwest like this.
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed CaptnJim. Was wondering what you were up to. I will enjoy your posts while we hibernate, waiting for April and the start of warm weather.
  10. cdwise

Oddometer:
    After a cold rainy morning the sun came out and I was thinking I might get out for a lovely scoot to have a good cup of coffee since no workmen were here for a change. Then workmen showed up and thunder boomed, sigh. It is however supposed to be sunny all weekend possibly starting as soon as tomorrow when no workmen are scheduled to be here. I may yet get out and enjoy some sunshine on two wheels even if it will be a tad nippy at 50.
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi Jon - I was wondering how you were doing. Good to see you post here. What does hibernation look like up there? Go out into the garage and make "Varooom, varooom!" noises while sitting on one of the bikes?

I'm hoping this thread is able to keep us all in the scooter mood, even when weather or circumstances don't allow riding.

Warm wishes!
  12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the welcome Jim! Lovely to see the pontoon boat & scoots being enjoyed in January.

We have just enjoyed 36 hours of weirdly warm weather. This winter, we have had lots of snow and it has been very cold (0F and sometimes colder daytime highs) for several weeks. Then today a high of 49F! I was able to reclaim several feet of driveway width from the encroaching glaciers, which is oddly satisfying for an anal-retentive old fart who likes to maintain the clearest driveway in town. I hate parking on a rutted, icy driveway.

Home, 4 days ago:

[​IMG]

No photos from today; the snow banks on the sides remain, but the driveway is back to almost its summer width, and dry. Tomorrow morning, we’re heading back down to freezing temps by 5am, and down to a high of 10F on Saturday.

I turned 60 last summer, and lately can’t stop thinking about how much I would like to load our bicycles, my V7 & Wifey’s PCX into a trailer and head SW to warmer / dryer climes, during the coldest month (or 2). But I need to work a few more years before that can (possibly) happen. I may hit you up for rental recommendations one of these years.

Work & ADV will help pass the months until riding season returns.
    Martijn Wils likes this.
  13. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good thread Capt.

"Battle Scooters" is pretty much the only forum I look at on 'advrider'...................and I don't even own a scooter...............what's up with that? You folks just seem to take life and 2 wheel transportation less seriously than some of the other forums. I've got two motorcycles and 1 CanAm trike, but there's a scooter on the horizon one of these days. Some of the others will be going away.

Jim
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Jon, we were fortunate in, while our home was in the frozen northland, we were able to "practice" being retired for a couple months each year, during the winter, for 20 years before we retired. The first time my wife said, "Take me someplace warm!" I was appalled.

"We have warm all summer," I argued. "Winter is our time to go skiing." At the time, our home was within 20 minutes of two ski areas.

As usual, we compromised... and went someplace warm. Sitting on a beach in the Caribbean in February was life-changing for me. It was 1986. For the next 20 years (until we retired), we went to the warmth and came back renewed. One never knows how much time you get, and we both decided we didn't want to spend any more of our time in the cold. We retired early. Some said, "TOO early - What will you do with yourselves?" I can say with absolute certainty, it was worth it to give up making more money to trade for having the time to travel and do what we wanted... while we could.

We can visit any time that works for you. Warm wishes sent your way for the rest of this season.

Jim
    CMS likes this.
  15. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    The sooner you get it the more time you will have to ride it. I have 4 motorcycles, but really enjoy the scooters. A scooter is a whole different kind of ride. I was over 50 when I got my first one. I wish I had gotten one years before that, though my main reason for getting into scooters was a disability that makes it difficult to get on and off motorcycles. I had to sell a dual sport, because the seat was too high for me to safely get on and off any more. But then I discovered how much fun scooters were. A very relaxing ride. You can go out and just cruise all day, without being concerned about performance.
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard, Jim. You certainly have "been here a while," since you logged on in 2004. I was on here from time to time in that era, but forgot my sign-in until we started thinking about scooters. I have said this here before, so apologies for repeating, but... if I had known these scooters would be this much fun, I would have done this a long time ago! I got my first motorcycle when I was 14 and have been hooked on two-wheels since. I look back fondly on traveling with our full dress Harleys and Goldwings, but have zero desire to go back to that. With a progressively bad hip, it was getting hard to throw a leg over a tall motorcycle (my last "small bike" was a 2008 V-Strom)... I was about ready to call it quits with riding. Then, almost 5 years ago (time flies when you don't know what you're doing), my wife suggested we get a couple small scooters. I scoffed. Put my foot down. Then, bought a couple scooters. Since getting these Honda PCXes, I have had more fun on two wheels that in the past couple of decades. I am long beyond having to have the biggest, baddest bike, and just totally enjoy the ease and fun with these scoots. And I can still get a leg over the "hump", twist the throttle, and go.

I wish I would have made this move years previous. I am not one to say, "You should definitely do this!" But, it has worked for us. My wife is having fun riding again (she had quit riding her own bike ten years before we got the scoots), and I do all I can to make sure this is even easier for her: I get the scoots in and out; I do the maintenance; and, yes, I wash her bike as needed. I want her to put on the gear and get on to ride... because I discovered during the time with the V-Strom that it just wasn't much fun for me riding solo.

I thought I'd miss having a motorcycle, shifting, eating up some twisties... turns out these scoots are just as much fun in the twisties, and enjoyable around town. And I don't miss shifting one bit. Somebody shoulda told me about this! :evil
    TM1(SS), conchscooter and Phipsd like this.
  17. cdwise

Oddometer:
    That's our feeling as well which is one reason I pulled my retirement trigger a few years ago. My husband had been undecided until he agreed to a "hiatus" after getting laid off last year to travel. He may still take on the occasional consulting gig but between the travel we've been doing, dealing with the aftermath of Harvey and noticeable changes in his vision he's on the same page.

:rofl:imaposer:rofl

FWIW, yesterday I was able to park not just the Vespa but also the car in the GARAGE yesterday. Still a ways to go but you can now see the faintest crack of light at the end of the tunnel.
  18. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jerry, I'm drifting somewhat down the same path as you and Capt. Jim. Last summer I bought a XT250 dual sport to carry in my Pickup when traveling with our travel trailer. I'm fortunate that at age 71 I'm still able to get on and off, but I still find myself thinking of it as being my "pre-scooter" since I do very little dual sporting anymore. Also a scooter, being clutchless, would be a lot easier to ride up the ramp into my pickup.

Jim
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I never thought I was going to live this long. Not being a smart-ass, I just had very little idea of something my dear ol' departed Mother used to say to me: "Getting old isn't for sissies." I don't want to be the old guy who sits on the porch and laments about "back in my day..." These scoots have made me appreciate that I was very wrong about being done riding. While the hip bothers me pretty much all the time, I grit my teeth and go have fun; whether it is riding the scoot, riding the e-bike, kayaking, boating, or just a (slower than it used to be) walk. If I had waited until now to retire, I would have probably not have done many of the things that have been highlights of the past 11 years.

We have done what my wife calls "fun summer jobs," that have been adventures in themselves. For 8 of those 11 retirement years. It adds to the "cruising kitty" and reminds us that we really appreciate having no schedule the rest of the year.

Glad to see that there is starting to be light at the end of the tunnel. For those that haven't been through a natural disaster, it is a lot more than refurbishing a house: you are displaced from your home, and you are trying to put it back together while scads of other people are also vying for the same workers and builders, who are likewise working in tough conditions. It is a lot less of a chore to build new, on your schedule, than to try to put things back together after something widespread like a hurricane or a flood. Sending good wishes your way, Cheryl!
    conchscooter, Wentwest and cdwise like this.
  20. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    10 years ago a new neighbor moved in, right next to me. A few days later my new neighbor came into my garage while I was messing around with some old Honda scooter, and started asking me questions about it. We talked, I found out he used to ride motorcycles, and maybe a month later I let him try my 87 Honda Elite 150 on our block. One thing lead to another and about 6 months later I sold him the scooter, worried that it would be a bad idea, he'd get hurt, the scooter would crap out, whatever. Didn't happen. Today he's still riding the same machine, and he was hanging in my garage again while I was fussing around with some machine, and I asked him how the scooter was running these days. And he said, "I couldn't live without it."

I'm 72, he's 75. Anyone who's waiting until some random time in the future to get a scooter needs to just deal with it. There's no REWIND button on your life.