All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    XMax 300 or 400?
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    If asking about the Blonde's Xmax - it's a 300. The 400 isn't available in the US to my knowledge.
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Running a few errands today, at different times. First time out, I took the PCX; such a neat little scoot. Then, I heard from the Honda shop in Brownsville: they got the new front tire in a day early; I'll take it in first thing in the morning and wait for it. Second errand, I needed to check the electronic gate sticker on the Xmax, so took that out... great not small scoot. Joan isn't sure about the fob/keyless thing, but I found it very convenient: with the fob in my pocket, I didn't have to mess with keys while on and off the bike. Big ol' like on that.

What's that? The Vespa? Yeah, less modern than either of those two and still my favorite.
  4. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    The PCX is sporting a new front tire. The Honda shop in Brownsville is good, the drive from our island to Brownsville is on Hwy 48, once considered "the most dangerous road in Texas." Over the years, it has been widened to 4 lane, a concrete divider for most of it, and a generally ignored speed limit of 65 - 75. A crosswind and some rain on the way home made it interesting... the crosswind blows over those concrete dividers, making for all kinds of wind swirls.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Take 3. I like having my phone on the scoot; not just for the navigation/GPS info, nut for the speed double-check. The Vespa, like most scoots, is optimistic on the speedometer. I put a RAM X-mount on it last year; holds good, but it takes a bit of fussing with it to get the phone "strapped in." This year, at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, I bought another unit that looked like it would hold without the tether. It didn't. Fortunately, the power cable held the phone long enough for me to catch it while it was swinging. On Modern Vespa there was a discussion of the Quad Lock... looked good on their site and plenty of positive online reviews. One hand to attach or detach the phone to the mount. It came in today, and I put it on... yep, looks easy and secure.

It was a gray, sometimes drizzly day today, so no riding. Tomorrow should be good for some scooting.
    Wentwest and The Virginian like this.
  6. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question about the quad lock ; is that something you stick on the back of your phone , then that piece locks into the quad lock itself ??
    If so then you forever have something sticking out from the back of the phone , making it difficult to put in a pocket ??
    The Virginian likes this.
  7. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Excellent question, Doug. I bought the Quad Lock Case - a phone case for my iPhone that has the indentation built in. I had concerns that it would be a lot thicker than the case I have been using, and not be compatible with the wireless charger. Turns out, the case, while a different material than what I had, is close to the same thickness... and, it works fine on the charger. Fits in my pocket the same as with my original case. They do have a piece you can stick on your phone, but the case is a better choice for me.
    DandyDoug and The Virginian like this.
  8. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get out and ride! Tonight a low of 39* here in the Old Dominion! :vardy
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Low of 74º here overnight. Yeah, there will be riding. :nod
  10. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We gots frost on the pumpkin...34* at 0700. But gonna have sunshine today, and Sunday high of 65*. Which scoot gets exercised?
    CaptnJim and The Virginian like this.
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    And there's the advantage of being a "one bike kinda guy": no decisions. :evil Enjoy getting at least one of those scoots exercised!
    CROSSBOLT and DandyDoug like this.
  12. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snow this morning but we’ll be loading the BV up and heading to Houston the end of next week. I very briefly considered riding it down but I don’t think I’m up to a 1.200 mile ride yet.
    The Virginian, CaptnJim and CROSSBOLT like this.
  13. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah! Come on!
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Especially if it were to start in the snow. I did that last year and damned near froze my toes off. Heated grips and at one point muffs kept my hands good but the low20s in New Mexico had me doing every hour to warm them up
  15. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done enough frost bike riding, if it's below 50 I'm not going .
    My one exception is my annual New Years day ride.
    I started it in this area and ran it for several years, then the stroke did me in .
    The motto is " how bad or good can the new year be , if you start it out riding with friends"
    Still showed up for the start though, then got back in the car .
    This year if all stay's on course I'll be back on two wheels.
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride yesterday. It was high 40s when started and high 60s by late afternoon. I used to handle the cold better because I was cold until mid afternoon and never did take any layers off. At least it was a beautiful day.

[​IMG]
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    We rode to Arroyo City today, just for someplace to go...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/10/arroyo.html

Another warm day here. No hills. Straight roads. On the bright side: riding. Almost no traffic. A stop at the DQ on the way home. And, riding. Joan is really enjoying the Xmax, even getting comfortable with that whole "no key" thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting to see the Xmax and GTS side by side...

[​IMG]

Modern Asian design vs classic Italian design.

Arroyo City isn't really a "city," more of a river-side fishing village, which is quite different from the quaint sea-side version. Several bait shops, a few boat storage lots, fishing cabins and some homes, a couple RV parks, and one restaurant/bar. Only 16 miles to another small town that has a grocery store. We used to go there by boat for overnights once in a while; first time we've been there by land in about 15 years. It would probably be more of a fun destination if we fished. :evil But... riding. :ricky
    Jim T, kpinvt, CROSSBOLT and 2 others like this.
  18. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I don't see an arroyo in Arroyo City. What's the deal
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Named for the river bed... but I have never seen that go dry. In fact, it is still used by barge traffic to bring goods inland about 20 miles. And, I don't consider it much of a "city," either. There is another community in this area called Bayside... and it is a couple miles from the bay. There should be some truth in adver... um, city naming. :-)
  20. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    It's not just a Texas thing. In Connecticut East Hampton is about 30 miles southwest of Hampton. Also the village and post office of Canaan, CT is not in the Town of Canaan. It's in the Town of North Canaan. In the Town of Canaan there's only the post office and village of Falls Village, all about 3 miles east of Lime Rock racetrack. There is a waterfall in Falls Village, though. All of those have nothing to do with the Town of New Canaan, which is about 60 miles south.