All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm handicapped according to my Dr.'s and the state . I have the hanging thing and use it if I'm having a bad day mobile wise. Other than that I park as close as I can and hobble along. :-)
    I can get handicapped plate for the car, not sure about the scooter though . Doubt I will go that way unless things get worse.
    I count myself as lucky , but also get a bit peeved when I see people who are not needing the HC parking spot and use it anyway because they are driving Mom's or Dad's car that has the tag or plate.
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Asking to get it stolen. In most states you can get a handicap plate including for a motorcycle which is the same class as a scooter yet. I have two friend with handicap plates for their scooters.
  3. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is temporary, I've actually got so no walker or canes, runs out in March 2020, and it will do me good to walk farther from the scoot or car anyways.
  4. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I took the scoot out for some fresh air and general bopping around this afternoon. There is a norther due to blow in here tonight, so it will probably mean no riding (or boating, or bicycle riding, etc) for a few days. It got up to 80º today, supposed to be in the low 40s, rain, and wind gusting above 40mph tomorrow. And this front is going to hang around through about Friday or so. Yes, I know that folks in the frozen northland are looking at months before the chance to ride again... you have my sympathies

I used to be a moderator on a testosterone-fueled high performance sailing trimaran forum, years ago. It was about this time of year that people started getting a bit crazy there. I get it. I will be headed towards that by Thursday. Nice to have friendly folks here to commiserate with when Mother Nature keeps us from riding.

Bundle up!
  6. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    At least it's pretty...
    118.JPG
    The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  7. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are supposed to get a little of that awful white stuff today :-(
    The mountains an hour west of us are already getting some.
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    On this morning's news, I saw that 70% of the country will be experiencing freezing temperatures today. :vardy
  9. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    We went from 75 yesterday afternoon to 35 this morning.
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    The local weather weasels feel the need to explain "wind chill" during these northers. In the frozen northland, people expect cold weather and know how to dress for it; around here, not so much. Local school is starting an hour late - I understand that from living with snow when we lived up north, but it doesn't make sense to me here. It is 40º and miserable outside with that NNW wind, but in another hour it will still be 40º and miserable outside. With steady or falling temperatures, there's no advantage in waiting an hour.

I had to put a jacket on to go out and check lines on the boat this morning; that cold wind will cut right through you. This would not be a good day if the scoot was the only transportation we had.

IF we go outside today, we'll get to use the heated seats in the car.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It went from around 65 degrees to 20s this morning with a forecast high of 32 and dropping into the teens tonight. But it will be mid 50s and sunny by this Saturday so I'll be back out riding in a few days.

I was out riding last Saturday:

[​IMG]
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Nice image, Klaviator! We don't get fall colors around here, so it is always a treat to see that.

I was wrong about going outside today: Joan told me that the helmet communicators she ordered are supposed to show up today, USPS. Our central mailboxes are about a half mile from our house... you can be darn sure I won't be walking to get the mail today. I have mental images of us sitting around the house with helmets on... "Can you hear me, now?"

That's assuming the mail shows up... on a Tuesday after a holiday... and snotty weather.
    klaviator likes this.
  13. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    New record low this morning in St. Louis. 11 degrees

No riding today.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it was 83 and a bit on the humid side when we went for or swim with dolphins in Puerotto Valletta today. Traffic was very well behaved 1 noticed almost every PTS rider we saw had a mush vest on, usually high cuz with a black backpack on top of it. The guy wearing a black one with 2" wide strips of highly reflective X shaped material made me think target not safety.
    CaptnJim likes this.
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that, Bud.

It was a good day to stay inside. I worked on another music project with my long-distance partner Mark (in Arizona): the Bill Withers song "Ain't No Sunshine" seemed appropriate. Mark on piano, synthesizer, sax, and strings; me on drums, bass, guitar, and vocals...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/aint-no-sunshine

A bit of scooter content at the end of the day: the helmet intercoms arrived today. I installed them in each of our helmets - everything seems to work as advertised. It is going to be a few days before we get to try them out on the scoots. I'm looking forward to seeing how the noise canceling (for the wind) works on them.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  16. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the song!
    CaptnJim likes this.
  17. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    It's not scooter related, but it is Bluetooth. I got new hearing aids and they link with the TV as well as with my phone. Someone calls and I push a button behind my ear and, just like that, I'm talking on the phone. Very nice. They have a music setting and you can custom tune them to your own musical instrument if you want. Very slick, and a hell of a lot more expensive than earbuds or communicators. But they work.
  18. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might consider giving us a link in the unlikely event another scoot dude needs help with hearing or lack there of,:-)
  19. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been encouraging my wife to try those hearing aids you mentioned. We spent a very large chunk of cash for the ones she has, and she is always having trouble modulating the sound. She say's the type of phones we have will not work with the type you mentioned. I'm not sure ??
  20. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:

These work with Android. Lots work with Apple, but Android is trickier because it's open architecture and different manufacturers can modify it in many ways. The solution for me, today, is a brand called Phonak, and the model is Audeo M70. If you are insured through some sort of large group, or if you have a Medicare Supplement, look through the documentation or call and ask them if they have an arrangement with a hearing plan like Tru-Hearing or Hearing Care Solutions. You deal with that organization, they set up an appointment with a local place for you, and if you buy the hearing aids you actually pay Tru-Hearing. There's a detailed price list. Like I said, it's not cheap, but it is cheaper. Compared to the sophisticated electronic things (TV's, computers, sound equipment, etc.) you can buy for the same money it made me feel like puking, but that's the state of things.
    DandyDoug likes this.