All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Never got above 50º here today, a bit less wind, but still occasional rain. I'm not riding in that. Hey, when we went out for lunch, we turned on the heated seats in the car; that's a rarity for us. Still trying out things with the helmet communicators today: set each one up and tested it for use with the phone. The last time we had bike intercoms was before smart phones. For the record, I don't use my phone much when I'm off the bike, so I don't anticipate taking or making any phone calls while riding... but having satellite radio (via the phone) was interesting. :super I do use the phone with the Waze app frequently, with the phone on a Quad Lock.

Not looking particularly pleasant weather-wise for a couple days.
    klaviator likes this.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Day four of the crap weather. The Blonde asked if I am having cabin fever...

[​IMG]
    RobG. and klaviator like this.
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have limited sympathy my friend:

[​IMG]
  4. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I won’t get any sympathy here today. I believe it is 85-88f here today. A65BB37D-C458-4987-BB9B-B06DFB00F780.jpeg
  5. Fiftygrit

Fiftygrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's Johnny, hahaha this is my first year in the last 12 of staying home, just below the southern tip of Alaska, and not going to Arizona for 5.5 months in winter, I'm going nuts, it's snowed, the high during the days is in the 30,s, I've aquired a real taste for scotch.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got out today, rode to the dealer and got a new front tire put on the Majesty. Tomorrow I expect to get together with friends and ride around 200 miles:ricky:ricky Forecast is 57 and sunny:rayof
    CROSSBOLT, kpinvt, RobG. and 2 others like this.
  7. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I didn't expect any sympathy. Tomorrow should be back up to around 70º, so my disposition should be back to normal. We used to live in the frozen northland, so I completely understand any "You think that's bad??" response. There is a reason we moved to the Tropical Tip... well, OK, plenty of reasons. And, a reason why we still travel frequently... in search of that "perfect weather"... I'll let you know if it ever happens. :D
    kpinvt, Ride2Live/Live2Ride and jon_l like this.
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no such thing as perfect weather. There may be short periods of perfect weather in most places but never all the time. Frankly I can deal with high temps if there is low humidity. I can also deal with cold temps with low humidity. I can deal with rain or snow but anything with humidity over 89% regardless of temp is going to have me unhappy. Worst for me us high humidity and mid 60s. Too warm to run a heater and too cold for a/c.
    kpinvt and BMWBUD like this.
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Just to show you folks how tough I can be, I took the Vespa out to get the scooter tag late this afternoon. Yeah 52º and windy. But, don't worry about me, I'll be fine... after I have a hot chocolate with a bit of adult beverage added to it, 'cause that's the way I roll. No, Joan didn't go out with me; she said, "Stay warm!" and then something about a color that is a dark shade of red. Anyway, I did give her a call with the helmet communicator: her voice was great from my perspective, and she said she couldn't tell I was on the scoot; she did hear the "snap" when I opened the face shield on my helmet and the "clunk" when driving across metal partitions on the bridge to our island. I couldn't get it up to highway speed because I was in town. Maybe tomorrow.
  10. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    52*! That would be a summerlike ride.
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Average daytime high on this date here would be 79º. After today, 70s to low 80s predicted for the next week. That's more like it. :nod It is after dark now, and the temperature has gone up since I was out; up to 56º and still too chilly for me. At least it is heading the right direction.:rayof

How is it in central Florida these days?
  12. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At our Upstate N.Y. home it was 12* this morning. Even I won't ride if it's below 20*. Here in CFL, it was a balmy 57@6:30am. I see the natives walking around in parkas!
    klaviator, kpinvt and CaptnJim like this.
  13. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it is perspective. It is 55º here this morning. I will have a stocking cap and jacket on when I go for a walk shortly. People just getting here from up north will be wearing a sweatshirt and shorts. :vardy
    minimac and klaviator like this.
  14. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    The first winter we visited our son while he was at graduate school in Baltimore I saw a woman of about 70 in a supermarket parking lot who was struggling to get a parka zipped up on a young child. It was about 60F out and she was telling the child, "Johnny, it's only going up to 70 today."
  15. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Yup, here in the Bay Area it never really freezes, but some mornings I see people in parkas with fur lined hoods and heavy mittens, and it's 40 - 45 degrees. We moved from inland New England 25 years ago and laughed at the shivering Californians, but now I find myself wrapped up in winter clothes, too. When the fog rolls in and the temps drop, that 50 degrees wet air feels mighty cold. Call me a thin blooded wimp, I don't care. If I'm cold I put on more clothes.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  16. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    The other day we got in the car and the thermometer said 64 degrees. My wife turned the A/C on and I turned my heated seat on. A normal day at our house.
    minimac, CaptnJim and cdwise like this.
  17. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing like a toasty ride on Electra on a sunny winter day!

Or as the Norwegians say: there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

MJS scooter winter IMG_9780.1280.jpg

P.S. two thumbs up for the Tucano Urbano Thermoscud apron -- my legs stayed toasty and never got cool at all.

M
  18. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    It got into the upper 60s, beautiful sunshine, low humidity, and a reasonably light NNE breeze - yeah, we got out for a ride! Well, mostly a shake-down on the Lexin helmet communicators... there was a lot of "Can you hear me, now?" :-) The short review: they work great! For a more detailed review...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-helmet-communicators.html

I put a wind shirt under my mesh armor jacket. Joan zipped the liner into hers. She also had on flannel-lined jeans. Right there with you Bob (Wentwest) - we were quite comfortable, and happy to be riding.
    Wentwest and DandyDoug like this.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CROSSBOLT, minimac, RobG. and 3 others like this.
  20. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report on the link.
    I need to get back to Al. and do some exploring on my Vespa, the only place I have been so far was Birmingham and the Barber motorsports park /museum.
    klaviator likes this.