All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you are coming. I've got a spare bedroom and could squeeze a Vespa in my garage. I recommend coming in the spring or fall as it does get a bit hot here in the summer. November is actually peak leaf season here.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Joan had "projects" around the house today. I asked, "Can you use my heip, or would it be better if I stay out of your way?"

"Please, go ride your scooter or take the boat out." No need to tell me twice. I put a storage cabinet together for her last week, and she wanted to get it positioned and filled in the storage area under our house. And arrange other stuff. Wash windows. Paint a marker for our address. Sounds like a one-person job(s) to me.

Besides, I wanted to try some other things with the helmet communicator. And take a moment to get the current scooter tag. And ride. Because... I am not a slacker.

My main goal was to see how the helmet communicator and phone play together when multi-tasking. I turned on the comm, paired it with the phone, and pulled up SeriusXM for some music. Yep, works great. Riding around town, the volume was good and I could still hear traffic around me. With the music playing, I stopped to grab and send a photo for the scooter tag game. All good. I pulled up Waze to see if it would still keep the music playing. Yep. Then, I asked Siri to call our daughter... it muted the music and made the phone call. I could hear our daughter just fine, and she said there was "not much difference" in the sound of the call vs straight from the phone. I ran the scoot up to 60 mph going over the causeway, and the conversation continued all the same.

Yep, the phone can handle it and works slick with the helmet communicator. When I hung up the phone, the music came back up. A flick of the finger and Waze was back on the screen. When I got home and turned the helmet comm off, it said there was 90% battery remaining; that was after two hours yesterday (with us talking bike-to-bike) and an hour today playing music and using the phone. I am happy with that. A USB connection I added to the Vespa kept the phone happy - even with the different usage, the phone battery was gaining charge.

:thumb
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    @CaptnJim - the review on your blog + the price makes the Lexin units compelling. Glad you are enjoying them.

Joan got much better mileage than you did on the PCXs, so the Vespa may not be such a laggard on fuel economy, once adjusted for her lower wind-age and mass.
    klaviator and CaptnJim like this.
  4. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Jon, obviously you meant my mass and windage and not the scoots... funny. Not. I had read about what to expect for fuel economy with the Xmax. One of us tends to be very competitive (and I won't say which one she is); I thought I might be able to slip ahead on the mileage thing, but, no. "Laggard"?? Ouch!
    klaviator and jon_l like this.
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim - I meant it in only the friendliest way :lol3
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I kinda like "laggard." You know, after I got over that initial stab. I may put that on my resume'. Yeah, I'm kidding - I don't need no stinkin' resume'!
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got caught up on your thread and as always a treat to read. Carry on!
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I wrote about a "trifecta" on our blog yesterday. Driving whale watch boats, a trifecta was 3 different types of whales on one trip (Orca, humpback, Minke). Yesterday was a trifecta of tropical pursuits: a stroll on the boardwalk by the beach, an afternoon out on the boat dolphin watching, and a scooter ride to grab a "tag." Today was a bit of a reversal, with the emphasis on the scoots and a short boat outing at the end of the day...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/11/do-it-again-we-like-it.html

I didn't take a camera along on the scoots, but Joan got me a Quad Lock tripod mount and I was able to use my phone for a shot of us with the scoots...

[​IMG]

Gorgeous day today: a high of 73º (below average), sunshine, and a light breeze. I did take a DSLR out on the boat; nice when the dolphins come right up to our boat...

[​IMG]
  9. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Much enjoyment reading both your post's here ,and your more in depth blog reports.
    Ride2Live/Live2Ride likes this.
  10. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Well, another orphan jumped into the truck and came home today. 08 MP3 500ie, in OK shape but some serious DMV problems. We'll see what the next few days bring.

08 MP3 Front.jpg 08 MP3 Left side.jpg 08 MP3 Right side in truck.jpg
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the MP-3, Bob - it will be interesting to see if you have 50% more fun by adding an extra wheel! :clap Supposed to be really fun in the curves - keep us posted.
    Wentwest likes this.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I've never seen a white one. I thought they only came in red. Congrats!
    Wentwest and kpinvt like this.
  13. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    I think they were know as the Fuoco in Europe.
    Wentwest likes this.
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Yup.
    Wentwest likes this.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about Nevada.
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    don’t have to take the bike to Vermont to get plates and title in the mail.
  18. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    Where should I look for the details? I have family in Vermont.
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Another lovely day in the Tropical Tip - beautiful blue sky, temps in the low 70s (perfect with a mesh armor jacket), very light breeze. No where to go, no great roads, but the riding was nice.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/11/in-between.html

[​IMG]

First time I've had the GoPro out since we left the Black Hills. Since there are no fun curves, I had Joan ride ahead of me so there would be something besides a horizon to photograph. I did get the high score on the "Your Speed Is..." game!

[​IMG]

Across the causeway over the Laguna Madre - the water was a lovely blue-green today...

[​IMG]

And a stop for cheese curds today...

[​IMG]

A month or so ago, we discovered one of the restaurants on the island offers fried cheese curds - it has been a once-a-week stop for us since then. Because man does not live by pizza alone.

In spite of leaving my helmet communicator on for two days last week, I still had 50% charge today when we got home. This is the first that I've had to charge mine since I installed them.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    google is your friend on this one. “Vermont motorcycle registration”

considering that bike is less than 15yrs old, Nevada might be a better option.