All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL.....
    when I want to go away for a day or two ride....
    The next thing I know is she is standing there with her helmet in hand...
    In Thailand us farangs "Westeners" can not be trusted anywhere you might run into
    other Thai females , which is everywhere...
    to meany of them want westen husbands/boyfriends and she is going to protect her
    property at all cost...

2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    More "Live to Ride, Ride to Eat" content. It was a gorgeous day here: sunny, light breeze, low 70s, low humidity. Nothing on the agenda, so a hundred mile ride for an afternoon meal at Texas Roadhouse. Scooting, steak, and ribs. Totally didn't suck. I didn't get any enroute photos, only before and after, so you'll just have to make mental images of this lovely day.

Riding makes my heart happy. :ricky
  3. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got some replacement frame parts installed today........... 20200107_214113.jpg
    rdhood, Salth2ofish, Tromper and 5 others like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! No like for you on that post. Heal up fast!
    Salth2ofish and bikeridermark like this.
  5. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll give a like since this it's the time of year to do it if least interference with riding is your goal
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I'm with Eric on that! Nothing fun about getting new parts, but I hope your recovery is full and fast, Mark.

-----------

I had my last appointment (8 months in) at the hip surgeon's office yesterday. You don't see him after the surgery, but one of his assistants called it: my "graduation." It was a waste of time, but I guess it was one last opportunity to bill Medicare for them. At two months, one of the other assistants told me "No riding a scooter or a motorcycle again," to which I said, "You people are fired." At least the physical therapist said, "The doctor said 'No riding again,' but you need to do what feels right for you." Riding my scoot feels right. Yes, I rode it to that last appointment.

And today, it was Live to Ride, Ride to Shop: we rode into Brownsville for some shopping. Winds blowing 18 gusting to 27, crosswind. Highway most of the way. The Vespa handled it OK, Joan's Xmax looked like it was on a rail.

[​IMG]
    Salth2ofish, kpinvt, RobG. and 2 others like this.
  7. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    I walked out of there like a boss today! I have a feeling tomorrow will be different. Left one will get replaced Feb.19. Hopefully, it won't affect my ability to ride.
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It probably will, for the better.
    OldCoot and The Virginian like this.
  9. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had both of mine replaced (simultaneously) over seven years ago. Should have done them sooner. Recovery takes awhile for the nerves to reconnect. Knees are doing great. Waiting on decision on right hip now. Best of luck with your recovery and next replacement.
    bikeridermark and The Virginian like this.
  10. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Mine should have been replaced this summer, but I had too much stuff to get done, and I would rather be laid up in the winter.
    They say you normally recover from hip surgery easier than knee surgery.
    The Virginian likes this.
  11. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should have told them that riding ensures a positive outlook, which is half the battle in recovery.
    OldCoot, Dan V. and Wentwest like this.
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Further proof that my recovery is going well: we pulled the boat out yesterday. Almost two hours of powerwashing and scrubbing. Flushed the motor, drained fuel, climbed all over the boat... and put it away for the next several months. That routine last year left me wiped and in pain for a couple days... it was "the straw" that made me decide to go for the hip replacement. Today, a couple ibuprofen, and I'm good. More than ready for my morning bicycle ride and a walk. Even though we are getting some things ready around the house, I was able to sneak out this afternoon for a grab on the scooter tag. Joan has been researching more roads for the next couple months. Ahead of schedule on chores, there should be some time for a real ride tomorrow. :clap
  13. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are putting the boat away for a couple of months, that must mean there are some new adventures happening :-)
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yes, heading to Arizona to visit our daughter and son-in-law (we volunteer in her classroom), make some face-to-face music with my friend, and do some "urban cruising." I get itchy feet when we've been in any place for more than a couple months... it's been just over 3 months that we've been home. It's time.
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I was given a "to do" list today. And told, "It doesn't all have to get done today - just things you need to take care of before we go." (In a week or so.) Any married guys here? :jack I was thinking there would be some scooter riding today. I am so silly. I worked my way down the list... oh, look: scooter content! I had mentioned that I wanted to change oil in the Vespa before we go... that made the list. So, after spraying for insects and spraying for weeds (well, grassy-looking stuff that grows up between the bricks), I got to play with the scoot... I mean, after changing oil, you need to run it (and ride it) to make sure nothing leaks. It wasn't much of a ride. And then on to cleaning and putting away kayaks, and tidying up lines we keep on the dock. Then, a run to the local city oil recycling area to get rid of the old oil. Kinda pissed away the day.

I was told that was "the list" until we're ready to start loading the motorhome (this weekend). You know there will a new list before then. Did I mention: any married guys here? :zillaI had said I was done working, but I may have to get a paid job... so I can get a little time off.
    CashCow, BMWBUD, Wentwest and 3 others like this.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Your list seems to be mostly about taking care of toys and tools, so I would probably try not to blame those on my wife. The weed clearing is just standard responsibility until we all end up in a home. In the interest of domestic tranquility I try to use Ray Magliozzi's tried and true phrase for men who have decided that married is better than divorced - "Yes, dear." I do fail at this stuff, a lot.
    Dan V. likes this.
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Ha! I am the KING of "Yes, Dear." After 47 years, I can say, "Yes, Dear," with the best of 'em. My question (let's call it that) was about the timing. As in: "Here's a list of things you need to get done this week."

"Yes, Dear, I know what needs to get done." (We go through this "departure stuff" several times a year.)

Twelve minutes later... "Did you get that list done, yet?"

"Um - this week?"

"So, you plan to wait until the last minute?"

"Two words: Tues Day." (Notice, I did not answer that last question with "Yes, Dear.") :jack

Easier to just get everything on the list done. Same day. And you know what that got me?? Yeah, another list today. After checking the air in the tires on every conveyance today, I decided the tires on her Xmax should be road-tested after adding one whole pound. Damn, that is a fun scoot! Joan's legs are longer than mine, so we each have the scoot that best fits us... I am just open-minded such that I can see why she likes that scoot so much. And I don't make lists, so there is that. :-)

Our warmer than usual weather (it was 78ยบ today for a high) is going to come to an end this weekend. So, it will be time to get the cargo trailer ready to roll before the rain comes. Discussion today about Friday being "strap down day," even though we don't plan to depart until Tuesday (ish).
    BMWBUD likes this.
  18. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    My last scooter outing until we get to AZ. The weather was lovely and the views of the water while riding across the causeway were a delight...

[​IMG]

Didn't suck. :-)
  19. ishmac

ishmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Honda Innova by APM Photography, on Flickr

New to me, my 2005 Honda Innova, one owner from new with only 1,250 miles on the clock, such a lucky find..!
  20. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Nice find! We never got those over here in North America.

Are they tubeless tires? You might want to check the condition of the tire valves carefully as I have had several experiences with them breaking off at speed, and the experience is very unpleasant. Old valves get brittle and crack and then just disappear, along with all the air in the tire, leaving you rocketing down the road on a flat. It's memorable.
    Tromper, kpinvt and ishmac like this.