All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. nomadicbrett

nomadicbrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good thread.

My story is similar to yours Capt. Jim. Living in the northern tier and decided life’s too short to freeze for 6 months. Retired early, people said you’ll go crazy with nothing to do. Started spending winters in Mexico or Key West. Always came back north rejuvenated. Got to spend more time doing what I like, riding bikes, sailing, snorkeling and just laying in a hammock under some palm trees. Last year we decided to buy a place in Hawaii after spending the two previous winters here. We had planned to spend those winters in Southeast Asia. Only got as far as Oahu. Scooter life really agrees with me and hardly a day goes by that I don’t take a ride somewhere.
    CaptnJim likes this.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    We used to reward ourselves with a Hawaii trip after a long hard working season. I love the climate and beauty of the islands. I was offered a boat job there about 8 years ago; couldn't wait to tell my wife about it. She said, "NO WAY are we putting Izzy (our feline family member) in quarantine for 3 months!"

We stopped going to Hawaii as an annual treat once we built a house in the Tropical Tip of Texas. Somehow, it was more fun flying into Maui when leaving the snow and ice of the Black Hills than going from this warmth to that warmth.

I appreciate your scooter posts, Brett! The scooter riding you have there is definitely better than ours - more varied scenery (mauka to makai) and terrain. Keep 'em coming!

Aloha!
  3. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This going south thing sounds better all the time. I shoveled the wife's driveway for about an hour, sliding to the bottom of the hill twice on the glare ice under the snow. I told her this isn't happening next year.
    I stay in the area most of the winter due to my 90 year old dad. Make it to Florida about three weeks late Feb. to MTB and ride the scooter. This will probably be the plan as long as he's living. After that, screw this cold weather.
  4. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday, the temp got up to sixty! I put about 200 miles on the Majesty, just because I could. Almost all of our snow melted and it was pretty foggy or whatever it is. Weird thing though, was riding seemed to be colder than the other day when it was high twenties-low thirties. Got back and gave the scoot a good washing. Today(Saturday) I woke up to 11*f, and a foot and a half of snow in the driveway.
    I too retired early. I wanted to enjoy and do things while I am still in relatively good shape. The guys that told me I was nuts to go out early, either passed on the job or are crippled up or in poor health and never got to do the things they wanted to. Heck, the one guy died one week after getting his first pension check! I'm one of the guys who says how did I ever find time to work?
    tankshooter and nomadicbrett like this.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    You have to try it once to decide if it is for you. When my wife suggested we buy a motorhome "so we can take the bikes south", I know my mouth was hanging open. We had rented a motorhome a couple years before that and had a miserable experience (mostly due to us having no clue what we were doing and a bad rental). We spent spent winters trying different areas: southern Florida, southern Arizona, southern California, and Mexico, before we gave south Texas a try... I was hooked right from the get-go.

This was before the days of much cell coverage (I carried a bag phone), ATMs, and easy mail-forwarding. These days, it is a piece of cake - you just have to let those who are used to having you available know that you will be gone.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if it was foggy, the humidity can sure make things feel colder.

An acquaintance in the same industry was appalled when I told him we were retiring early. He said, "I'm going to work 'till I die - I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing." Turns out, he was right. You never know. I was just absolutely sure that I didn't want to deal with the cold and snow anymore.
  7. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My daughter sold her scooter this summer that I bought her for graduation last year. Honestly, it kind of hurt my feelings. As a 20 year scooter commuter I'm fairly passionate about scootering from the angle of rational, low priced transportation. She's a college student and I thought it just made sense. I've come to terms with it and the cool thing is, my 34 year old female coworker purchased it. She rides pretty much every day and loves it.
    Salth2ofish likes this.
  8. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Well, the wife has several years before she retires, so I can't afford to wait on her. This will be a ' better do it while you're still able, or while you still have the desire ' thing. Arizona is too far right now, and I don't know if South Texas has any mountain biking.
    Guess it will be Florida for now!
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I understand. Motorcycling has been a part of our family life since the Blonde and I dated in high school. I think I have posted this image here before, taken in late 1980 or so...

[​IMG]

That little girl on the right (my now 45 year old daughter) was 8 when we got her her first motorcycle. We lived out of town, and there were trails where she could ride. When she turned 13, we moved into town and I got her a Honda Aero scooter for her 14th birthday (legal for her to ride during daylight hours). Of course, we made her gear up to ride it. Some kids at school made fun of her because of the helmet, gloves, and boots. She parked the scooter and refused to ride it. "OK," I said, "You can walk to school." Not a big deal, since it was only a few blocks. It sat until that winter, when I traded it in on a Honda snowblower. Couldn't get the kid to run that one, either. :jack BUT, I was disappointed that she let a couple dumb-asses (who didn't have any wheels) cause her to miss out on riding.

Thinking back, that scoot was in my name, so I guess I did own a scooter before getting the PCXes. Oh, and she was excited for us when we bought the PCXes. She asked, "Can I take it for a ride?"

I asked, "Do you still have a motorcycle endorsement?"

"Um, no."

"Too bad for you - these are a lot of fun!" :D
    k7wcb, The Virginian and tastroman like this.
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    MOUNTAIN biking? Here? Our house is at one of the highest elevations on our island - a whopping 7 feet ASL. :rofl

When folks in the frozen northland go south, they tend to go directly south: those along the northern East Coast go to Florida; mid-westerners and central Canadians come to south Texas; and folks from the Pacific Northwest tend to go to Arizona or southern California. Unless you're like Brett, and then you go to Hawaii!

Our fat tire e-bikes are good on sand and gravel, but they get more use when we are out and about with the motorhome... where we can find hills and trails.

Joan and I worked together most of our adult lives. It was good that we retired at the same time... 'cause I would have really missed her. :-)
  11. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Florida actually has some incredible Mountain biking. Santos, near Ocala, and Alifia River area near Tampa. Old phosphate mines and quarries. Tight, technical single track, some of which is expert-only stuff. But there are also flat perimeter trails for the not-so adventurous.
    Scooter-wise, well, it's mostly flat and straight. But the scenery is different from what I'm used to.
  12. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In south Texas, you can head over to Big Bend which some folks I know love to ride both pedal and scoot. Alternative move to the hill country of Texas rather than the coast. Weather is still pretty temperate and you have lots of good riding including the Twisted Sisters that look a lot like parts of Colorado.

Personally I prefer Texas to Florida, and yes I've lived in both.
    tankshooter likes this.
  13. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yes, Hill Country (west of San Antonio) has some great terrain. About 6 hours north of us. We did a week in Big Bend this spring - hiked and scooted all around, didn't get out the e-bikes. Rugged terrain. About 12 hours away. I'm with you, Cheryl: TX over FL for the way we live... but, both have their appeal.
  14. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired at age 56. Only took about a week to decide that I don't care how much money I have coming in.............it's worth it! Been retired for 15 1/2 years now and loving it. Nice day in the Pacific Northwest today. Got out for a short ride on the CanAm trike and Triumph "SCOOTERS" (to keep it relevant) today. :clap

Jim
  15. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    Heckscher Drive and A1A is always a good ride. River, ocean, tidal marshes and a nice stretch of tree canopy, then you're back at the ocean again. Therapeutic.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    We moved from the Berkshires in New England to the San Francisco Bay area 23 years ago, because I got a great job here. It was hard going from a very small New England town to the millions of people here, but the weather made up for it, and the food was a big bonus. I bought my first grown up motorcycle a few years later (Suzuki Intruder 800), one thing lead to another and I realized a scooter was much more what I wanted for the kind of riding I was doing, congested cities, endless traffic and stop and go, up hill and down, in a State that allowed lane splitting. 20 minutes on a scooter and I wasn't going back. So here I am, retired and happy. We were lucky enough to move here when real estate prices were lower, and bought a house then. Today, it would be impossible. The first house we bought has gone up 350% in the last 20 years.

These days it feels like I live in a different country than everyone East of the Sierras. It's pretty strange.
  17. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I retired at 55, because of a disability. Then I developed a couple more problems, and became unable to do most of what I used to do. I not only like to ride scooters and motorcycle, I like to work on them. I'm also into working on vintage cars. Unfortunately those disabilities prevent me from doing most of what I loved to do. I sold one motorcycle because I couldn't even get on it anymore. And working on cars is now very painful, taking most of the fun out of it. It's only been 3 years since I retired, and I would gladly go back to work if I could, if I could also do the other things I used to enjoy so much. I'm stuck in Phoenix, AZ, where the summer temperatures make it almost impossible to do anything for several months out of the year other than drive an air conditioned car. I'm planning to get a single rail bike trailer so I can haul a bike up north where it is still cool enough to ride in the summer without getting heatstroke.
  18. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

I think what turned my daughter off was my insistence on using my scooter as a form of around town transportation after she became self aware enough to feel embarrassment about it, you know, the whole "your Dad rides a scooter" thing. I tried to use it as a teaching experience about how not to let others opinions influence how you feel about things. I thought she would outgrow the image her friends painted for her but my persistence in doing things like picking her up at high school created a wound that might not heal for a while. I rolled the dice and learned that sometimes best intentions can still backfire. If I had purchased her a motorcycle she would most likely be riding it today so the other mistake I made was trying to impart the practicality angle on the mind of an 18 year old. She did get her motorcycle license out of it and honestly, I could see her purchasing her own motorcycle when she's out on her own.
    gasandasphalt likes this.
  19. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    My daughter got me to transfer from motorcycles to scooters. She asked me to help her find a good used scooter, so I did. That was the first time I ever rode a modern scooter. My only other experience was a 46 Cushman I had in college in 65, and it was not a pleasure to operate. My daughter's scooter was an eyeopener. Over the next several years I got rid of the motorcycles and started messing around with old Elites. To me, it's close to the dream of flying, just floating along through the city sitting in my chair.
  20. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son's girlfriend sometimes talks about getting a scooter for transport to and from uni. Since she's afraid to drive I can't really imagine her actually getting a motorcycle license.