All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    All about riding the scooter! We threw in the towel today, and pulled the boat out after getting some time on the water. The dredge operation has our exit canal blocked, and we can now only get out by going down another canal and under a low bridge that is only accessible to us at a very low tide. Here's the scooter content: we staged the SUV and trailer at our Welcome Center (near the boat ramp) - Joan drove that rig while I followed her with the scoot; once parked, she hopped on the scooter with me, and we went back to our house, untied the boat from our dock, and shoved off... while we knew we could get under that low bridge.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/01/throwing-in-towel_14.html

A preview...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, there were dolphins. Nice to get to tell 'em "Good-bye!"
    k7wcb, The Virginian and villageidiot like this.
  2. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked at your blog Capt. So now that the "winter" boating season is over........when does the "spring" boating season start? Glad you got to ride your SCOOTER today.

Jim (the other)
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey, Jim - there is no "boating season" here; folks use them year 'round. Looks like it will be another month (minimum) before the dredge finishes that last canal. By that time, we will be in Arizona visiting our daughter and son-in-law (and grandcats). We volunteer in their classrooms (they're both teachers), bop around "the big city" (scooters and car), have supper on the table when they get home from work, and mostly just enjoy some time with them. We'll be in our motorhome, so we have our own digs. After a couple months of that, I will be ready for some boat time (and quiet time) and we'll head back. For the last decade or so, we've gone out there for 2 to 3 months each year. Any time we're home in Texas, it is "boating season." Just like it is always scooter riding weather here... although it is hot and humid in the summer. Not "Arizona hot," (low to mid-90s is typical in August) but the humidity can be around 300%. Yes, I am exaggerating - it is more like 375%, but who would believe that? :-) Fortunately, there is an almost constant sea breeze, keeping conditions on the coast pretty pleasant. We also make it a point to go somewhere cooler for a few months in the summer.

We picked this spot specifically because... it is easy to leave. It is a gated community, with 24 hour security. Roll down the hurricane shutters, shut off the water, and we can head out. World's best "neighborhood watch" (mostly retired folks). Smart house. And, the fact that there are canals - we can keep a boat just steps from the house. When the boat comes out, it goes into our storage unit about 40 miles inland (out of the salt air, less risk with hurricanes).

I've bemoaned this dredge operation, but it needs to be done once in a while (13 years ago was the last time). The problem is the time it has taken - the dredging has been going on for 16 months (was supposed to take 6 months or less). The dredge equipment looks like something from Sanford & Son, and there are a lot of residents here who are seriously pissed off. I know these dredge guys are hard workers, but this equipment hasn't been up to the task. The first year of it, they were working in other canals and not blocking what I call "the exit canal" for about 1/4 of the island. When we left in June for an extended motorhome trip, we thought they'd be done by the time we got back in late September. Nope. And the last two months have been a struggle for those in our canal. I could be an ass and demand that they break the pipe and allow passage, but that would mean a shut-down for them of a half hour for us to get out, then the same to get back in. If everyone did that, they would never finish. So, management on our island has asked that those of us who are affected try to find a different place to slip their boats for this last canal work... better for us to just pull the boat, and let them get their work done.

More time to bop around with the scoots. Well, until the next norther blows in this week. :jinx Truth be told, our winters here are more pleasant (to us) than in the desert. 70º for an average daytime high in December and January, nicer than that on either side. But, our kid is in the desert, so...

Probably more than you wanted to know.
    sro99 likes this.
  4. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone who has spent time along the Gulf Coast would believe it. What they would have more trouble with is the snow/sleet warning we have for tonight and high forecast of 32f tomorrow. I will be warmer when I get off the plane in Denver tomorrow than Houston. We've been trying to get the front door's second coat of stain on for two weeks but it hasn't been over 50 and not raining.

Oh well, on the home issues front we have been making good progress lately (finally) and because the garage door spring broke getting the garage cleaned out moved up the priority list. So now with a new garage door and opener (spring breaking in the middle of opening the door did a number on it too) we now have a useable garage for the first time since Harvey. There had always been a place for my Vespa in it (priority) but now one of the cars can go in it too. As you can see the Vespa gets the prime spot by the door ready to escape.
    garage.jpg

Once the kitchen cabinets arrive Thursday and they get installed next week we'll actually have a functional house again. Then it will be time to turn to the garden which has become a dump ground for construction crap.

Then we can get serious about finding scoots to rent in Italy. I'm so looking forward to that trip.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I'm excited for your Italy trip, Cheryl! That sounds like big fun. Glad to hear the home repairs are almost done.

We are almost 400 miles south southwest of Houston... the climate is different here: cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter. Oh, we're gonna get that norther sometime overnight, but I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt today. (Yes, outside - we put the boat away in our storage unit, inland.) 60º for a high tomorrow... early... then dropping throughout the day. I'll be taking a couple days off from the scooter. :vardy
  6. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, today turned out quite pleasant around 60 but temps are dropping tonight with daytime snow tomorrow now predicted. We shall see. OTOH, I will be back in the land of snow tomorrow evening. I need to find where my son put the battery tender for the Vespa and get it plugged in so when I come back in a about five weeks she'll be ready to ride. It was such a lovely afternoon I had hoped to get out for a ride but workmen were he until dark when the temps started dropping and the wind picked up.

Still a ways to go as kitchen cabinets have not yet arrived. Fingers crossed they show up as scheduled on Thursday. Upstairs is supposed to be finished first part of next week. I'll believe it when I see it since the original schedule said 3 weeks from start to completion. That would have been Dec 3 or 8 if you allowed extra time due to Thanksgiving holiday. I did call a halt the 22nd of Dec so we wouldn't have workmen over the holidays but still.
  7. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yep, here comes that front: at 7:00 this morning, it was 60º and a light breeze; moments later the first of the gust front winds hit. It is blowing about 30 mph right now (gusting higher), and the temp has dropped 9º in a little over an hour. No snow here, but it is going to be snotty out there for a couple days.

Living in the Black Hills, we were used to the cold and snow. Not so here in the Tropical Tip. On Christmas Eve 2004, we had a dusting of snow... first snow here in 109 years! People were calling it "the Christmas miracle"... I said, "We didn't move far enough south!" The local weather weasels love to talk about this occasional cold snap. People lose their minds here when it gets cold. Looks like 39º as a low here tonight... colder than I care to be out in. Some homes in this area don't have heat... most homes have exposed water pipes where the water comes into the house. Won't be taking the scoot out today. :-)
  8. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! 39* here and people are wearing tank tops and shorts!
    KansasKawboy likes this.
  9. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Still 50, still cloudy and gray and damp here in the Bay Area. You can ride every day, but it's not a beautiful day.

The photo of the garage in a posting by @cdwise looks like mine used to look before I got two hanging racks from Costco. They are 4 x 8 each and pretty sturdy if you mount them right. They hang over the garage door when the door is open, but it looks like you have enough clearance to make it worthwhile to explore. And they are up at the ceiling, so your occasional floods won't damage the stuff you store up there.
  10. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did we get from "All about scootin' " to costco storage racks? Not trying to be the thread nazi, but sheesh.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Back to scooting.

The North Florida weather was nice today.

Got to around 60 F under clear skies.

Tonight we have 6 7BSC riders signed up for a 20 mile ride to Atlantic Beach to dine at Fish Company. That usually means 10.

I will be riding Rocket.

It will probably be under 50F for the 20 mile return ride home.

I think I will have Dungeness Crab with plenty of butter for dipping.

Bill
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    OK, the storage racks are in the garage... the scooters are in the garage. Maybe the storage racks could be used for scooter gear? This makes perfectly good sense to me. But, I have been in the house most of the day because it is freakishly cold outside... for this southern edge of the US. Cabin fever in less than 10 hours?? OMG, I won't be able to get out on the scoot for the next 3 days!! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together!! Arrrrrhhhhhhhhgggg!

Whew! I'm OK now. And just between you and me, I only titled this thread "All about scooting" so someone wouldn't get pissy about it and have the thread zapped into ADV never-never-land (like the previous "Nothing much to do with scooters" thread). We're all scooter riders here - I'm good if this thread wanders around. We enjoy our scoots, but we aren't one dimensional; if we were all sitting around a pub talking, we'd probably talk about more than scoots. This is the place. :-)
  13. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    It's about scootering because those racks are where I put stuff so there's room in the garage for cars and scooters. If you pile stuff on the floor along the sides of the garage you can't park scooters there.
    CaptnJim likes this.
  14. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whoa Capt. ................back up the train! I happen to know that you have a room full of guitars, just waiting to be played during crappy weather. And a captive audience! LOL

Signed, the other Jim (iritating folks for years with my banjo playing)!
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes; although they get played during nice weather, too. I got my first guitar when I was 11 (a Sears acoustic), and my first motorcycle when I was 14 (a very used and tired Honda 150 Dream). Bought both myself under threat of expulsion from the house if I did. Those two endeavors have stayed with me through the decades. I started playing for pay in a band when I was 12. Quit college first time around to go on the road with a horn band. I think the Blonde dated me just to piss off her parents: played in a band, rode a motorcycle, and had long hair... the trifecta of what a parent doesn't want to see their daughter bring home. :jack

As long as we are off topic, here's a recording I did last week...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/let-it-be

To bring this back towards on-topic, Born To Be Wild is in my repertoire. :strum :ricky
  16. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice Capt. I suppose "Boot SCOOTIN Boogie" would be sort of on topic as well! :jive:kumbaya
  17. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was good scooting weather- about 45*.

Today- snow. ☹

I was looking at the map to see where Capt Jim lives. I like his photos and talk of year round shorts/ tees.
  18. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi JB - Looking at the map, follow the Texas Gulf Coast all the way south. Just before you come to the US/Mexico border, you're in the ballpark. This has been an odd winter season - on our third Frost/Freeze Warning in the past month. Back in the 70s for the weekend. Long pants, socks, a sweater and a winter jacket today. Sheesh!
    JerseyBiker likes this.
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been a sad winter as far as riding goes here. Got out last week but it was in the low 60's so that doesn't even count as winter riding. Last time before that was about 3 weeks I think. My winter ride was sold this past spring and I can't seem to get around to coating the new replacement (DR650) with ACF50 so I'm not riding that in the salt. Heated grips are going on the Scarabeo and I'll ride that for the rest of the winter...if the ice ever leaves the roads.
    Retirement is occupying my mind most of time. Hoping to bale in a year or so, maybe sooner. Picked up a minivan to make into a tiny conversion van recently and have done some work on that.

shelves 7.jpg

That's on hold now until I figure out what I want to do for a trailer. I've got some crazy idea stuck in my head to build a tear drop design that is tall enough to also work as a bike hauler. Still working on that idea and may start a build out in the spring. The idea is to head to the SW with van, trailer and bike and winter on BLM land. I'm pretty sure I can make the two small spaces (van & trailer) work. But then I got to thinking why not just ride south in the winter into Central America and rent a place cheap. I'll be on a tight budget so regardless of what I do it needs to be cheap.:(
    So basically I spend my days at work on this site, the tnttt (teardrop) site or the cheaprvliving site conjuring up ideas and schemes to pass the winter months.
    Last week I found an apartment in Panama for $300. That would suit me just fine...
    :thumb

BTW CaptnJim my first guitar was also a Sears Acoustic. Damn that thing was a bitch to learn on.

...another Jim
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Re: that Sears acoustic...

[​IMG]

I really thought John or Paul would call me to be a Junior Beatle; didn't happen. :evil

We had owned a couple VW vans in the early 70s, and I built out the interior of a Dodge van in 1975. A series of RVs and campervans after that. We RV'd our way around Mexico in the 90s. The wandering lifestyle suits us. I got some ideas from that TnTT forum when we bought the cargo trailer to haul motorcycles (and now: scooters). Good luck with the traveling - it isn't for everyone, but I get itchy feet after being in any one place for more than a couple months. Hope it works well for you!
    Ride2Live/Live2Ride likes this.