All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Every time I take a screen off a bike I wonder why I had it there to begin with. Before we get all involved in the arguments please understand my scooting is all in the city, freeways and streets but really no speed rides for more than 10 miles. Without the shield it just feels stronger and much less affected by the gusty winds we get here. I always wear a helmet of course and for much of the year a full face so the wind blast isn't much of an issue, and there's no buffeting with no screen. The wind noise is louder but the engine noise is much less, and I'm so damn deaf it really doesn't matter anymore.

For anyone who is wondering about windshields, I say take it off completely and see how it feels riding naked. No windshield naked. The other kind might be OK here in the Bay Area, but out in the rest of the US, maybe there would be some objections.
    The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    A really small CVT scooter might not make it. Mt Vespa GT200 has climbed every mountain in AZ and did fine. My Vino 125 and Zuma 125 bogged down badly, speed dropped to 10 mpg and the engines were making all kinds of bad noises. I actually put a tachometer on the Vino, and it showed very low rpms while trying to climb, yet it showed very high rpms at full throttle on a flat level road. You could definitely climb it on a Super Cub, or any bike with a manual transmission. It would be slow going, but just keep it in first or second gear and keep the rpms in the powerband, and it will keep going.
  3. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know why your scooters big down so much. 50cc Vespas and Bud Dr is regularly go to Boreass Pass 11,458'two up for picnics around here.
  4. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    A day off from riding. Why?

[​IMG]

That was with the wipers on the car on high. We move to a different RV site tomorrow, with more rain likely and big wind (50 mph gusts) to go with it. The Blonde said, "When Friday rolls around, I will be more than ready for some riding!" Yeah, me, too.

Now, as far as riding up Pike's Peak, we did it years ago on a pair of Goldwings. I was real happy to have gears, both going up and coming down. A CVT transmission? Wouldn't be my first choice, especially on the descent. I'm guessing my lungs would give out before the scoot would.

Sending healing vibes to Cheryl and Jerry. I do have a bit of medically-induced non-riding in the recent past... not my idea of "time off."
    The Virginian, kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  5. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a big bad surprise the first time I went west over the Appalachian Gap on Route 17 here in VT. I stopped at the top of the Gap to fiddle with my GPS and on the steep way down the bike picked up speed very quickly with the bike still idling there was no engine braking. I didn't want to ride the brakes down as I was going to need them at the right angle right turn a quarter mile down the road. I had to crack the throttle wide open to get the CVT to engage, a counter-intuitive move if there was one. It worked, once I got the revs up over 2000, I let off the throttle and the bike slowed down a bit with the CVT engaged.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I learned that maneuver while riding up/down Mt Constitution on Orcas Island in the San Juans. The scoots were still relatively new to us and that was our first steep descent. I found it was best to not crest the top of hill/mountain and just let off the throttle. :nod
    kpinvt likes this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some CVT scooters have better engine braking than others. The clutch on my Sport City dis engaged pretty easy and it had the worst engine braking of any of the scooters I have owned. My Like does pretty good as far as engine braking.

I remember when I rode down Pikes peak there was a station along the way where they stopped all the cars and made most of them pull over to let their brakes cool down. They just waved me through. Between engine braking and triple disc brakes, keeping my speed under control was not an issue. My Like has dual disc brakes and is pretty light so I think it would do fine going down Pikes Peak.
    kpinvt likes this.
  8. cdwise

Oddometer:
    There was a dusting of snow on the peaks this morning and I could see snow on my neighbor’s roof. Gone not long after the sun came up though.
  9. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snow!? Its stillin the 90s here.
  10. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Just a dusting that didn't stick and won't stick for a bit yet. Ft from the way everything has been a but late this year I doubt we will have any accumulation until closer to November. What it should do is get the leaves to start turning.
  11. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet it still feels good.
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    This day is going to be hard to beat: glorious weather, hardly any traffic, saw animals on the Custer State Park Wildlife Loop, lots of fun curvy roads, a picnic lunch with my Honey, ice cream, and... 99.55 mpg on the Vespa, 132 mpg on the PCX. Friday the 13th, a full moon tonight... and we didn't come across any crazy people!! Yep, a truly fine day of riding...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/do-you-feel-lucky-punk.html

A preview...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and I got the scooter tag today, too. Whooohoooo! :ricky
    beRto., DandyDoug, kpinvt and 2 others like this.
  13. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So did you see the Minnesota boys on their Zuma 125's running around? Last night Candace showed me the pics they posted on FB for their Scooter Jamboree.
    They sure have a good time in your part of the country, Jim! Wished we could have joined you all for some rides - will think about next year :beer.

Looks like your "last week" rides have been fantastic! I like the picnic lunch, too.....
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan,

Didn't see your Zuma buddies; mostly Harleys and the occasional Goldwing. While we were having our picnic, an Xmax went by, 2-up... first I've seen one of those in the wild, and the only other scooter we saw yesterday.

We plan on a couple more days of riding before starting "the big pack-up" to head south. The riding has been a real treat this summer!
    klaviator likes this.
  15. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim ,I just made a note to my cat loving wife about your book .
    I bet we will be ordering one :*sip*
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Does she like e-books or paperbacks? If you order the paperback from the distributor, they ship direct to you. I may have some books on-hand once we get home, and I can autograph one for her. In the meantime, she can get a free preview of the e-book on Smashwords.
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Well, it has been quite a while since I've done that. What? No, not that. I rode a motorcycle today... first time in about 6 years. Yeah, a motorcycle, with a clutch, those shifty gear things, and a foot brake. What's up with that?

I stopped by some friends place, and the three of us went out for a ride. He has a BMW, she has a Honda Rebel 500, and me on my Vespa. I had mentioned looking at a local Honda dealer to "test sit" a Rebel, but they didn't have one in stock. She invited me to give hers a try. And, my buddy Steve asked if he could try my Vespa (he has never ridden one)... so, he and I went out for a short ride.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/this-little-piggy-went-to-market.html

For those who don't want to read the whole story, that Rebel has a lot of torque; reminds me of a Sportster. And, while I could toss a leg over easily, the riding position (once I put my feet up on the pegs) was a bit painful for the hips. Yeah, both hips. I think it would take some extra stretching and crunching exercises... and it still wouldn't be as comfortable as my Vespa.

Steve was impressed with the Vespa... when we got back to our motorhome (where the 4 of us were visiting), he told his wife, "You would love that - no shifting and it really moves out!"

Fun day.
    KansasKawboy and klaviator like this.
  18. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a beautiful night for a ride! Temps in the mid sixties, full moon. I very seldom ride after dark these days, but I met the wife in town for a pizza and a beer(or two). Cruising down the highway, no windshield. Reminds me of my youth. I wish the Vespa had a bigger tank, though. Fill up at least once a day, sometimes more.
  19. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    We don't own any E book things, we are committed physical book readers. We each usually have multiple books going at any time. I gave her a note about your book. So she will probably look it up or see if it is library circulation. She is very active in our local library, is on the board of directors of the "Friends of the library" .
    At one time we owned a book store , something she had always wanted to try.
    We weren't losing money fast enough, so we opened a second one.
    Show's you how great a business man I really am.
    She would like to have an autographed copy I'm sure.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    A solo outing today... Joan was cleaning around the car and the coach. I think she has her head into hitting the road a bit more than I do. She suggested I go for a ride. Umm... OK. I took the PCX...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/work-and-play.html

[​IMG]

It has been over a year since I have ridden the PCX any appreciable distance - it gave me some perspective on the differences between the PCX and the Vespa. I think I kinda "eased into" the Vespa experience when I first got it; then added the stuff (Corbin seat, Laminar Lip, Givi topcase, USB connection, etc) to make the Vespa more of a personal fit for me. Size matters. Fit, too. And horsepower (of sorts - the Vespa has 22, the PCX has 13). I have a better appreciation for the way Joan keeps up (or leads) with those two scoots, as well.

The plan is to get one more good ride in tomorrow, then start the packing up process to hit the road Thursday morning.
    The Virginian likes this.