All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    When you own a few scooters it's interesting to see which one you reach for and which one just doesn't get used much anymore. When I swap rides, which I do after one or two tanks for gas, the one I start to use feels so very different and a bit clumsy, but after a day it just feels natural again, and after that I start pushing it some and remembering what it can do and will do for me. By the time I've run through the two fill-ups I know why I'm keeping it. Even the two 90 CH250's, that should be identical, are different. They have the same tires, so that's not it. One has a lot more miles, the other feels fussier on city streets about starting and stopping all the time. They fit the same. It's just fun to mess with them.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Took our last ride for this season in the Black Hills...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-last-ride.html

Tomorrow we start the "getting ready to roll" process and head out Thursday morning. For today, we both agreed that we wanted one more run through Vanocker Canyon... well, it turned out to be two runs through the Canyon since we went back the same way. A hot one here today (got to 91º) - I guess Mother Nature was getting us acclimated to what we have waiting for us as we head south. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at the BMW dealer for "one last check" to see if they had heard anything from BMW about when the parts would come that would allow the scoot to get out of "stop sale jail"... no word. There was some discussion with our sales guy about the possibility of a delivery... I'm guessing he is thinking "warm weather in south Texas when this area descends into the frozen northland season."

Oh, and here's a photo of Joan with that scoot, and no sun glasses...

[​IMG]

Proof that she does, indeed, have eyes under those sunglasses. And, tied-back helmet hair (a blonde pony-tail hanging out the back of the helmet when she's riding).
  3. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope all goes well with the "pack up" and getting on the road. Do you plan on taking your time getting back to the Gulf? I'd hate to see you get home and have to evacuate for some stinkin' hurricane!

Yesterday Candace suggested we ride out of town for a relatively new wild animal park. They used to raise animals for zoos, and had expanded a couple of years ago to a private zoo and safari ride that opened to the public. It was pretty interesting, and a nice 30 mile ride out in the countryside.

As they were all country roads, I decided to take the bigger scoots. The day before was the first time Candace had ridden the Kymco 250, and she reeeealy liked it - so she rode it and I took the Morphous. She had never ridden the Morphous, so we switched for the ride home. That didn't last long, as the seating position hurt her back. She did like the windshield, though, so I now I am charged with finding a windshield for a 14 year old Kymco Bet and Win....

Talked with a club member the other day, and he said he was letting his Vespa 300 go - a 2010 with 2000 miles. Interested in maybe taking one of my 2 strokes in trade........so maybe something new in the garage soon?
    CaptnJim likes this.
  4. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan - good to hear Candace enjoyed that 250... nice step up from her Vino. Sounds like "universal windshield search" time for you. Missed riding with you two this year. Not sure what next year's plans will be. I sure have enjoyed our time in the Black Hills!
    Dan V. likes this.
  5. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Jim,

Sorry to hear you are having such hot weather.

20190916_134549.jpg

Kebler Pass yesterday.

Aspen just starting to get a little color.

20190916_134950 (3).jpg

Safe travels home.
    The Virginian, kpinvt and CaptnJim like this.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    You, too, Bud. I’ll take hot over cold most of the time. :-)

Delightfully cool and comfortable here in the Black Hills this summer. You be careful out there in the mountains.

Best wishes,
    Jim
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are starting to see some color in the aspens now.
  8. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 3 scooters and 4 motorcycles. 2 of the motorcycles are in long term storage in my living room. They still get attention and maintenance. The other 5 get ridden at least once a week. The scooters are a Genuine Stella, a Lance Cali Classic, and a Vespa GT200. The Vespa is my favorite by far. But they all have to be ridden, or else I need to get rid of them. Not riding a bike is a quick way to kill it. The motorcycles are a Honda Rebel 250, and a Harley Sportster 1200. Obviously the Harley is my favorite. Right now I am having serious back problems. They still get started up, warmed up, and ridden a short distance, like 50 feet. It's painful, but it has to be done to prevent them from deteriorating. And of course each one is completely different, but I have owned and ridden them all enough that transitioning from one to another is not really a big deal.

I used to have a ponytail, and it was a major problem when riding. I tried to stuff it under my shirt, but it always came out. I finally resorted to stuffing it in a sock and putting a band around it. I no longer have it. My shoulder and neck got so bad that I could no longer reach around behind my head to deal with it. In AZ you wear sunglasses or you go blind.
  9. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    OK, so windscreen question. I'm not a fan of them generally. OK, my choice. But I'm still curious about lots of things, and I saw a photo in the NYTimes of traffic in Tehran and I noticed that any bike with a windscreen had an oval piece inset in the center. Here's the photo, and the question is, what is that, and why? My only thought was that it was a piece of clear glass that was optically much better than plastic. Maybe it's required there.

merlin_156934827_664013ef-1701-4062-b563-1cc0ceb118b3-jumbo.jpg
    The Virginian and kpinvt like this.
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wow, those are tall windshields. (I prefer being able to see over the windshield.) Guessing it must be for visibility, but I'll look forward to hearing from someone who knows.
  11. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    From that one picture not every bike has a windshield but all of the windshields on the bikes that have them all look the same. My guess is that the windshields are state issued and the state requires a clear glass insert in the thick plastic windshields. Anybody want to ring up the Iranian consulate and ask?
  12. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    They may be something like a "pin lock" that comes with many helmet's face shields.
    I remember seeing something similar in Germany back in the 60"s it was supposed to help visibility by not fogging up in cooler weather .
    Lot's of cars had them on the rear window, this was way before electric defogging windows.
    kpinvt likes this.
  13. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think they have a bubble that causes greater air flow which causes rain or debris to flow away from center.
    Tony in Tn
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just there, took a couple boat rides in Teton - Jenny & Jackson

You know your close when you can smell a wet carpet!
    7DA236C6-BE40-4A7A-9A99-68981559B3E0.jpeg 37DE781C-2FCC-4B72-9E79-E3EDE3898153.jpeg 6AD1648D-5CC2-47CE-B208-A7F43DD3A8C9.jpeg 53988B26-DB93-47F8-99A5-0D2AFE0A547F.jpeg
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark - when you were in the Tetons, did you take one of the meal cruises on Jackson Lake? My favorite was the breakfast cruise out to Elk Island... I think the views as you come out of Colter Bay early in the morning are some of the prettiest in the lower 48.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used to say that I had the best "office view" in the park.
    The Virginian likes this.
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Speaking of "bear jams" and "buffalo jams" - this is what it can look like on the park roads...

[​IMG]

That is a bear jam in progress in Grand Teton National Park... it was my day off and I just wanted to get to town (Jackson) for groceries. Rangers got out there quick enough to keep traffic moving (slowly). There were times when people would park on the roadway, leave their car doors open, engine still running, and go running towards the bears. Or moose. Or buffalo. And when I say "times," I mean it was frequent.
  17. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    When I lived in rural New England we had issues with "leaf peepers" who would just stop the car in the middle of the road and get out to take photos. At least the idiots in Teton or Yellowstone can say that the buffalo were moving away. Autumn leaves are pretty calm most of the time and there's time to park.

George Carlin said that the guy in front of you is an idiot and the guy behind you is a maniac. Sometimes I think maybe there's just idiots out there.
  18. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hot in Texas Hill Country right now. When we were here last year around this time, it was chilly and rainy. Too darn hot to ride, and it looks like more of the same forecast while we're here. We did get some scooter content in today - drove into Austin (about 2 hours away) to check out AF1 Racing's inventory - Joan saw that they just got a new BV350 in yesterday.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/around-this-time-last-year.html

She was quite impressed with a trade-in they had that was outside their normal realm. I suggested she "test sit" a new Vespa - her butt barely touched the seat, and... "Nope." I'm not surprised - she doesn't care for the riding position on mine.

We didn't come home with anything, but we're in the discussion stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing like burning a big brush pile at night while sipping an adult beverage! 20190925_093849.jpg
  20. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, did she like the BV? (methinks it may be a wiser choice than the previous "buy"?) :johntm Got a text from my friend across state inviting me to a Sunday ride. His BMW scoot broke down while at Amerivespa this summer. Don't know all the details, but he trucked it to a Chicago area dealer, where it sat unrepaired for weeks. His dealer in SE Mi picked it up from that dealer, and started repairs only to have issues getting parts. Recently he got it back - the chain tensioner broke and bent a valve.

He was happy that BMW covered all the expenses because of the hassle :wings. That saved him $$$$$$$$. Good on the local dealer and BMW.