All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Hi Dan - She was so-so on the BV; no doubt because they didn't offer a test ride; surprised how similar it felt to the Xmax. I think she likes the Xmax better. I contacted a San Antonio area BMW dealer - they have a C400X... when I asked about "an issue with the stop sale," the guy on the phone said: "It's no issue - as long as you don't want to buy it and take it home." Yeah, he sounded a bit peeved. Similar to how our dealer/friend feels about it.

She is ready for a change. The heat wave here takes some of the fun out of riding, though. Makes us just want to stay in the air conditioning. I took Rufus outside for a walk first thing this morning, before the heat of the day... he walked for a couple minutes, then wanted back inside. Can't say I blame him. The thought of gearing up for a ride is not particularly appealing.
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably good you headed south though. Saw on the weather last night that a big September snow storm is supposed to hit Montana and Nebraska this weekend and move into the Dakotas first of the week. While they are probably over hyping it the forecast is a file a storm to equal the 1938 record breaking storm with heavy wet snow. It won't get as far south as us though. My son told me that they had a few days in the 80s this week in Houston.
  3. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found thebv 350 great except for the instant on throttle which made it difficult to ride in parking lots and other slowspeed situations. 70 plus mph cruising and quick handling, great brakes, stiff ride, very comfortable for me with stock ws. I mainly sold it because of the quick throttle, so a test ride is important.
    87112 likes this.
  4. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Well, our home temps (Tropical Tip) have been upper 80s; almost 400 miles north seems to be where the heat wave has been concentrating. Having lived in the Black Hills, I am very aware of what is coming. Not unusual to get some snow there by late September/early October, and then get another lovely Indian Summer. Also not unusual for the fall colors to come to an abrupt end when an early wet snow takes the leaves off the trees. Or, the branches off the trees. :vardy

I keep looking for "eternal summer... but not too hot... yeah, I know: 'How's that playin' out for you?' "
    The Virginian, kpinvt and BMWBUD like this.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I don't try to steer the Blonde in any direction - the BV didn't get her fired up like the BMW did. Understandably, she is less than pleased with the way BMW (not the dealer) handled the situation with the stop sale. Right now, I would say she is leaning towards the Xmax. AF1 has been good, so far... we'll see how things play out.
    The Virginian and conchscooter like this.
  6. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost no scooter stuff at the AIMEXPO show in Columbus, Ohio. Suzuki had a 200 burgman, no Hondas, no Yamahas.
    Only cool thing was this Honda Co. pickup and the old Cub. The old Yammie was cool, too. 20190925_223738.jpg 20190925_223751.jpg 20190926_004448.jpg
  7. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is disappointing.
  8. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, was looking up something on the AF1 site - noticed they were no longer carrying Genuine Scooters. See if you can get some insight on that when you visit them again.

Just curious.
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan - you posted this after I left for the day... to go to AF1 Racing. Joan came home with a 2019 Yamaha Xmax that someone had traded in on a Vespa GTS. She is a happy girl...

[​IMG]

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/whirlwind.html

AF1 is not a Genuine dealer these days. They have a good stock of the bikes they do handle. For scoots, it is Vespa and Piaggio. Sorry I didn't get your message sooner, when I could have asked them about Genuine. For the record, we had a good experience buying from them.
  10. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another convert to the 300 class. Welcome. I love my 300 and so will she.
    The Virginian and CROSSBOLT like this.
  11. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations and good luck with the new bike.
    The Virginian likes this.
  12. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Wife - Happy Life :-) I think Joan made a good choice on the Yamaha. Will be looking forward to your comparisons on your scoots in the future.

Since riding with you two last year in the mountains, and riding with Klaviator in the Smokies it really does make sense to go with more cc's. Having the Kymco 250 fills that need for me, but now that Candace has claimed it as hers, I will need to find one for me :clap. Yeah, I have the Morphous, but it is so long it will only fit on the center rail of the scoot trailer, so can't take two if we trailer. The Kymco and a GTS should work just fine though, on the outside rails.......

Probably a bit late in the season to try and peddle off the Buddy and Vino 125. Fall is coming in fast this year it seems, so will have to get them ready for a Spring sale. Anyone here interested in a couple of "experienced" scoots?
    The Virginian, kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  13. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey, Dan - I didn't know that Candace had commandeered the Kymco. I have no doubt that she will be much happier on that vs the Vino. Joan's PCX has enough get up and go that I rarely had to back off on the Vespa... but since we added the Vespa, she has had an itch for more top end. I felt bad when the C400X deal didn't work out. Frankly, I think this Xmax will be a better fit for her. I was encouraging her to check out the Xmax before deciding on the BMW... but I also know when to keep my mouth shut. Either way, I know we will have more riding ahead, with more options.

Now, as far as a GTS... I really like mine after getting it set up for the best fit for me. My GTS feels quite "compact" compared to that Xmax, though. Good luck in your search for the right one for you.

---------

This morning, I asked Joan if she wanted to take the scoots out before the heat of the day really kicked in - she said, "No, I need a day off from riding, but I would appreciate it if you would take mine out and give it a good shake-down."

Umm... OK.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/09/preppers.html

I ran it on the highway, took it on some side roads, did a hard stop to check out the ABS, felt around with my free hand to check the wind-flow... that is a nice scoot, and I think Joan will be very happy with it. Added bonus: as a used 2019, it was a good deal.

When I got back from the ride, we went to work getting the cargo trailer arranged for the drive home. I had some concerns about the Yamaha fitting in the trailer due to the huge-ass top case rack. With the top case off, it fits. Since I moved the Vespa to the side where it was set up for the PCX, I had a similar situation: the top case has to come off to get the ramp door closed. Yes, I can move the framework for the chocks forward a bit, but I would like to have the smooth pavement of my driveway to work in vs the gravel RV site we are in. I will have to slither under the trailer to move the bolts. All in due time. For now, it all fits...

[​IMG]

The front chock for the Xmax is set about a foot forward of the one the Vespa is in, to allow some access from the side door. You can really see the size difference in that photo.

This feels like the wrap up to our summer out. I'm guessing we will be home Tuesday. It has been a great summer out... especially considering that there was some question as to whether I'd be able to travel/ride... guess I showed them, huh? :evil Well, maybe not, but I have sure enjoyed our riding this season.
    kpinvt, sro99, KansasKawboy and 3 others like this.
  14. cdwise

Oddometer:
    The extra length of the Xmax is a drawback for me I like the more compact size of the GTS I'm glad the Xmax it's our there though and if the Blonde is happy that's what counts.
    kpinvt and Ride2Live/Live2Ride like this.
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I'm with you. And also into making Joan happy. I have been encouraging her to ride my Vespa since I got it... not interested. Now that she has another option of her own, she said she'd like to try the Vespa... sometime. We also still have a PCX at home that she doesn't particularly want to sell. For full disclosure, we have had those PCXes longer than any other bike we've owned except for one particular Harley Ultra that was my favorite. The PCX is a very capable small scoot. There is a trade-off for swapping ease with expanded capability. She may be happy being a 2-scoot woman.
    kpinvt, Dan V., Wentwest and 2 others like this.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    There's something about a Honda Elite 150 scooter that seems to make it charming. I still have one because I can't seem to let it go, even though I really hardly use it. I've bought and sold lots of scooters and bikes and i'm still hanging on to that 87 150. My neighbor just bought the extra BV250 I picked up and rebuilt. He's been using another 87 Elite 150, the first one I ever bought, that I sold him 10 years ago, and he's keeping it, too.
    kpinvt likes this.
  17. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I like the Elite better than the Helix for the same reason I prefer the GTS over the Xmax though I suspect if take an Xmax over a Helix any day of the week.
  18. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I prefer my GTS over Joan's Xmax. Probably because of familiarity. From most parameters I can think of, the Xmax is a superior machine: speed, acceleration, wind protection, seat comfort. Looks like they will be reasonably close in fuel burn. The Xmas weighs about 50 pounds more than the GTS, but it seems just as easy to move around (in the RV site we are in and getting it into the cargo trailer). Horsepower to weight ratio gives a very small favor to the Xmax. I think the shorter wheelbase of the Vespa gives it a "flickability factor" over the Xmax, but I have to say that when I rode it yesterday, I was impressed with how nimble that Xmax feels. That said, looks count as well as seat-of-the-pants. I appreciate the classic styling of the Vespa, Joan likes the more modern look of the Xmax. (Probably lucky for me that she hasn't traded me in on a more modern model. :nod ) She likes all the "techie" stuff, I am happy to keep using what works (we both have iPads, but she uses hers all the time, while I continue on with my MacBook Pro, and use my iPad mainly for recording). She is already looking for phone holders that don't just clip on (no exposed handlebar and she doesn't care for the mirror attachment I use), but have a more integrated feel.

The heart wants what the heart wants. She surprised me when she said she didn't want to wait for the stop sale to come off the C400X... I think BMW ticked her off. I told her that after a few months with the Xmax, if she'd rather get the BMW, we'll make that happen. I am happy with what I have, and I just want her to feel the same. She was crazy about the PCX, and feels like the Xmax is a larger version of that.

For full disclosure, I did show her a photo of the Helix a friend of ours has. No concern that it would ever be a consideration. :-)
  19. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright, I have read a couple of post that you got a good deal on a 2019 xmax, but weren't the 2018 white and the 2019 black?
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yep. Right from the Yamaha website. I questioned that, as well, before the purchase, but the title and serial number confirm 2019. Joan didn't care for the black, so this worked out for us. A really early 2019? Late 2018 that got titled as a '19? No idea how this came to be.
    CMS likes this.