All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or the PO swapped out the black panels for white. White has always been my first choice for a motorcycle followed very closely by !RED!

PS
    I'm very jealous, I haven't yet found an Xmax to sit on let alone ride.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I did a "test sit" on an Xmax a couple years ago, before getting the Vespa. I was still riding the PCX and didn't care for the riding position on the Xmax. I think the issue was likely the higher footboard position, which was a problem for me before the hip replacement. No issue at all these days. Joan is longer legged than I am, and she is very happy with the riding position (and the ride!) on the Xmax.

I'm with you on the red or white. When I first started looking for a Vespa, I was thinking "new and red"... then I saw a white one. Since my GTS is used, and the only one I've seen anywhere close to where we live, it was: black or keep looking.
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    We rolled back into the Tropical Tip this afternoon. Hot and humid... 89º and 12,000% humidity. It will take us a while to get moved back in. May be a day or three before we get to the scoots; and a few days more than that to re-acclimate to this climate. I miss the cool weather, hills, and curves.

I just checked weather for the Black Hills: low tonight of 34º, rain and snow mix... yeah, we got out while the gettin' was good! :evil
    kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  4. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've been having high winds which makes not riding more bearable.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    As we get settled back in, unstrapped the scoots in their trailer this afternoon. Removed the chocks in the trailer and after an "around the block" on each, put them into the trailer on their side stands... yep, they fit. More work to get done around here, but if/when it cools off any, the scoots are ready...

[​IMG]

The left side has been my side since before we got the PCXes. I considered it "the bigger bike" side... and now my Vespa has been moved to the right side. In all our riding years, I have never had the smaller bike. It's a good thing I am confident in my masculinity. :-)

Hey, it works to have the shorter wheelbase bike on the right, giving more access to entry from the side door.
    kpinvt, klaviator, RobG. and 2 others like this.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Out for some local riding yesterday, including snagging the Scooter Tag...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

91º and humidity around 975%. I am missing the cool riding in the Black Hills. Yeah, they had a mix of snow and rain the other night, so there is that. :-)
  7. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    85 degrees today, humidity in the 30's. I spent the day pressure washing the back patio. Yesterday we scooted over the Bay Bridge to go to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park. About 250,000 people in the park, during the afternoon, 6 stages, 11 to 7 pm, all free. No parking lots at all, almost everyone took some form for transit and the streets were not busy at all. One man, Warren Hellman, loved bluegrass music, made way more money in investing than anyone can imagine, and left a trust fund to pay for this forever. This was the 19th year. All the food was local restaurants and coffee shops, no chain businesses allowed. No tobacco smoking in the park.
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    80a with 30% humidity sounds like lovely riding weather. There was a bluegrass and brews festival last weekend in Copper Mountain: 0 miles from me but I want up to attending.
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hot and humid again today, but after lunch and a drive by the beach, I took the scoot to get the current scooter tag. Any reason works. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took some time to get a few other potential "new tags" for down the road.
    kpinvt, klaviator and DandyDoug like this.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day here yesterday with a high in the low 80s. I couldn't resist going for a ride.

[​IMG]

I have been mostly riding my scooters lately so I took out the Versys which was feeling neglected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before the day was over I still went out for a scooter ride.

[​IMG]

I love living where I do. Year round riding weather and good roads to ride.
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Another hot day in the Tropical Tip - we wanted to take a drive (yeah, drive, not ride) to Boca Chica Beach, where the new SpaceX launch facility is located. It is about 3 - 4 miles from our home as the crow (or rocket) flies, but over 50 miles to get there by road... you have to drive into Brownsville to get around the Brownsville Ship Channel.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/10/fly-me-to-moon.html

[​IMG]

On the way home, we swung through Brownsville and stopped at a small Honda motorcycle dealer to order a tire for the PCX. I would call it a "mom & pop" shop, but it is more of a one-man operation, with his wife and Grandfather there. But, he is the salesman, parts guy, mechanic, etc. He ordered a tire for me and I looked around a bit - first time I have been in this shop. Small as it is, there were 2 Metropolitan scooters on the floor. The real take away for me was this...

[​IMG]

A Honda 150 Dream. I had one like this (only black) as my first motorcycle back in the 60s. This one is in far better shape than mine was back then. Memories...
    kpinvt, The Virginian, cdwise and 3 others like this.
  12. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did almost 400 miles of dualsporting the last two days. Mucho gravel and dirt roads. I'd like to know how many times I clutched and shifted. When I got home, I rode the Vespa 50 miles to the MIL's to mow. Sure was nice to not shift and clutch!
    Many covered bridges in southeast Ohio. 20191009_121659.jpg 20191009_161424.jpg
    Wentwest, cabanza, kpinvt and 5 others like this.
  13. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea , all that clutching and shifting stuff is over rated.:rayof
  14. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, but on a 250cc sixspeed, with no straight or flat roads, it's mandatory!
    The Virginian likes this.
  15. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally had a couple of decent days here - dry and warm - after a week of rain. Go ride? Naw, had to stick around the house. Flooring guys coming to lay new vinyl floor in kitchen. I had been busting moon on this kitchen project for some time, had spent the weekend pulling up the old floor. Was getting PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) from not enough riding. As it gets dark early, an hour ride after dinner has been theraputic.

So on the days the flooring guys were here, I had a scooter wash. Washed up seven of therm. Now to triage - figure which ones to detail and lay up now, and which ones to do in a few weeks. Long range weather guessers are not being positive for a Indian Summer.

Wish the pleasant riding season was longer here. Still not willing to stretch it out by moving south. Heat and humidity - no thanks.
    kpinvt likes this.
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey, Dan. It has been hot and humid every day since we've been home. I may sweat a bit, but I can still ride if I want. I remember months in the frozen northland where I could only go in the garage and look at the motorcycles. OK, maybe sit on one and make "Vrooom!" noises. :-) One local weather weasel is talking about temperatures "plummeting into the upper 50s tonight." Probably won't get that low here at the coast, but it also won't be 83º like it is at 7:20 this morning. I still think the best way to get good riding weather is to migrate along with the birds. :evil
    Dan V., kpinvt and DandyDoug like this.
  17. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I think staying up in the "great white north" for yet another cold, snowy winter would do more harm than good for me, we decided to take the Captain's advice and will be "migrating" south this winter. Although I've always been a year 'rounder( I ride all winter as long as the roads are decent), I'm really looking forward to extending my good riding weather season. Now we just have to figure out when to leave.
    CaptnJim, kpinvt and DandyDoug like this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you migrating to?
  19. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are both originally from the Detroit area , moved to Fl. after most of my international business career was over. Lived in Fl. for 13 years , then moved back to NC. where we had lived for a short time in the early 90's. We mostly enjoy the four seasons here , each is usually around 12 --14 weeks long. So it's usually not too hot or too cold too long. However the last couple of years it's been hotter and more humid in summer , also a bit longer. Last winter was odd also , with one huge surprise snow storm . We don't on average get much snow, and when it comes it's gone in two or three days. So all in we get a much better riding season.
    We thought about moving to the coast ( I like mucking around with boats) but didn't see anything that made us want to move there after a few trips to look around. Besides, with all this climate change stuff, if we live another 10 years we will have beach front property anyway.:thumb
    kpinvt likes this.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Our October at home is turning out to be warmer than usual. We went for a ride this morning...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/10/thats-hot.html

[​IMG]

Even with "heat gear" so we can have long sleeves, it is pretty darn hot.

[​IMG]

But, still quite fun to tear through the curves and hills...

[​IMG]

Nice smooth road, though...

[​IMG]

The cold front is suppose to blow in this afternoon. The local weather weasels are doing "hour by hour" reports. It is supposed to drop from the low 90s to the 60s by tonight. It will be windy and rainy, thus the reason for getting out this morning. Should be a one-day event, and back into the 80s on Sunday. Riding home today...

[​IMG]

Yeah, that says 93º on the outside air temp display. Should be in the low 80s here in October. I would say we came back too soon, but they are getting snow again in the Black Hills. I'll take the heat... nothing to shovel and my fingers don't hurt. And, did I mention: riding!