All about scooting...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CaptnJim, Jan 10, 2018.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    We are down from 90 to 60 degrees in Houston this afternoon. It was 75 when I left for work this morning. Nothing unusual for Texas though. I still took the X ADV to work. We'll see how it handles the wind.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Cabanza is about 375 miles northeast of us - they are getting the front ahead of us as it moves south. High tomorrow is supposed to be 72º - looking forward to that! The temperature sender on our deck is saying 96º right now! :yikes That is crazy hot for this time of year. Hot wind to go with it while we were out riding this morning. Our bay water temp is 86º; that is August stuff, not October.
  3. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    We had high wind and made the national news with the power shutoffs because of fire safety, but the wind is over and we're in the middle of absolutely perfect weather, mid 70's, low humidity (38%) right now. It should stay like this for most of the month.
  4. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple question's Cap , if you don't mind
    1. How's the Blond liking that new X max ??
    She looks like she is handling it ok.

2. After all your boat cruising , how did you decide on the Tropical tip of Tx ? ( I'm thinking that's south Padre island area) ??
    I ask because we keep talking about other places to live full time . Even though our winters aren't usually too harsh , they have been bothering our old bones more than we like. We have ruled out moving back to Fl. and are not in a position to keep two places, nor do we have the desire any longer to do that .
  5. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talked to my son in Houston this afternoon. He told me a front had come trough and temps were in the 50s today. I wonder if that's the same one that dropped snow here it came from the Pacific northwest so diagonal line makes it possible.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug. To answer your questions: Joan likes the Xmax. A lot. It is a lot more bike than her PCX, and she notices the difference. The PCX may be the easiest, friendliest, all-round small scoot made; it was a great choice as a "first scooter." The Xmax reminds her of a bigger PCX (a good thing).

We are on another island just west of the southern tip of South Padre Island. It is called Long Island, but people from out of this area just think you're talking about New York. :lol3 A gated community, small homes, no retail. The big thing for us is the canals on this island: we have a canal right off our back deck; that canal takes us to the Intracoastal Waterway; from there you can play in the Laguna Madre (bay) or the Gulf of Mexico. It is an ideal place to have a boat. We built this house here as a vacation home, and when we retired and sold everything in the frozen northland, we decided that this small house is enough for us. We love the location, the culture, and the climate. The only downside of living at "the edge of the country" is it takes a LONG time to drive anywhere. With our motorhome, it is a 3 day drive to get out of Texas to the north or west.

We were fortunate in our previous careers to be able to "practice retiring" before we actually did it: we spent several winters traveling from southern California to Florida. Joan had family in the Corpus Christi area, and we found ourselves truly enjoying the lifestyle in the Tropical Tip (about 175 miles south of Corpus). When people come to this area, they either get it or find it appalling... it is hot and humid during the summer (and into the fall this year), but cooler on the coast; the wind blows (we had a sailboat when we first came here, so that was a plus for us); beautiful during most of the winter (much nicer than where our daughter lives in Arizona); the best beach in Texas (South Padre Island). I mentioned the culture - I have called this area "Mexico Lite" and some people don't care for that aspect. We used to travel quite a bit in Mexico, I speak some Spanish - yes, we are in the US, but the culture is more like Mexico than Dallas (which a lot of people think of when you say Texas... it is 600 miles north of us btw).

Now, from a scooter or motorcycling perspective, it isn't great. Yes, you can ride year 'round, but the terrain is flat and you'd have to get to Texas Hill Country (about 300 miles away) to find some good curvy roads. There is a booklet on motorcycle roads in Texas... and not a single one anywhere south of San Antonio. The motorcycle culture is Harleys or crotch rockets. There are a few scooters on South Padre, but mostly used for getting around only on that island... the speed limit on the causeway (2 1/2 miles long) between SPI and the mainland is 55, which means most Texas drivers are going 60 to 65. The car/truck drivers here tend to be aggressive/inattentive/uninsured. I have described it as NASCAR meets Tijuana Taxi. Thus the reason why we enjoy hauling our scoots elsewhere (Phoenix, the Black Hills, Texas Hill Country, Rockport, etc, etc). We avoid riding in the city areas west of us (Brownsville, Harlingen, and all the cities in the Rio Grande Valley). An insurance guy here told me that over 1/3 of the drivers in south Texas do not have insurance.

About 10 years ago, we considered moving further north in Texas to be "more centrally located" for traveling. We looked at Georgetown (north of Austin). They still have "winter" there. Our daughter was lobbying for us to move to Arizona, but their summers are too hot for me, and it gets cold there in the winter. Our average daytime high in January is 70º, with generally less than a 10º spread from daytime high to nighttime low. The occasional norther blows in and gives us a couple days of NW wind and chilly weather (like in the 50s). Florida is too crowded for my tastes. San Diego area is lovely, but expensive. We even considered Hawaii years ago, but we also like to RV. So, while there may be no "perfect" climate, this one works for us. Someone will probably mention hurricanes: historically, there has been a hurricane impact in this area every 28 years; Hurricane Dolly sat over the top of our house in 2008; we had some minor damage, mostly cosmetic. That's why you buy wind and flood insurance.

Living in a resort area where tourism is the biggest industry has pros and cons, as well. Plenty of great restaurants, but some times of the year, the local roads can get congested. Like: Spring Break (in March) and July and August (lots of summer visitors because it is cooler at the coast). It is real quiet around here right now - the winter Texans will arrive in December through early March)... really not much of a traffic impact and the restaurants tend to run "Winter Texan Specials". It is good for the local economy. Real estate taxes tend to be higher in resort areas.

So, maybe more than you wanted to know, but I think I hit the good and bad. Let me know if you have any questions.
    kpinvt, The Virginian, Jim T and 3 others like this.
  7. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Living 8In a resort area definitely has plus and minuses since our Colorado home is in the Breckenridge Ski Resort area. On the whole though we like the amenities that being in a resort provides in the way of good infrastructure and restaurants make up the hordes of tourists at certain times.
  8. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We bought a winter home in Leesburg, Fl. It's in one of those old folks (55+) gated, golf course communities, where everyone drives around in golf carts. Wacking a little ball then chasing it doesn't really appeal to me, but they do have a couple of pools and nice pub-which I do enjoy. I'll hopefully meet up with Cash Cow again once I'm there, and probably do some rides with the Seven Bridges club-if they'll have me.
    The Virginian, DandM and klaviator like this.
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I used to think those 55+ communities were discriminatory... I get it now. It is mostly retired folks here in the winter, but some rent their place out during the summer - lots of families with kids. We have indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs... no desire to be anywhere near them in the summer. Our monthly owners fees take care of lawn mowing, sewer & water, cable and internet, 24 hour gated security... makes it easy to close up the house and take off. If we had good motorcycle/scooter roads around here, I might not ever leave. Well, except for that itchy feet thing.
  10. DandyDoug

Oddometer:
    Whew , thanks for alllll info Cap Jim.
    We will be here in NC. at least as long as Ashley's mom is still around ( 92 and still feisty, can't remember anything and is confused all the time) .
    Don't think the Tropical tip is for us , but we still feel the need to see what's over the horizon. We figured out that we have lived in this house longer than any place in our lives.
    She is not interested in even trying the RV life style , so we have what we have, where we have it .
    After all the medical crap in the last few years you would think we would be done wandering .
    I think in a former life we were both gypsies. :hmmmmm
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    It was delightfully cool today (high of 70º and windy). Joan received the Yamaha accessory kit that puts a "handle" (for lack of a better word) in place of what I am calling the triple-tree cover. Like my Vespa, there is no naked handlebar showing on her Xmax. She did not want a mirror mount and found that accessory. Happy Birthday (early). Besides a handle (giving you a place to attach any phone holder you want), the kit comes with a USB connection that splices off the 12v accessory plug in the fairing storage compartment. Once in place, it all looks "factory" and that is what my Honey wanted.

[​IMG]

Like all plastic-clad scooters, there were about 1000 tabs that had to be carefully disconnected to get the front fairing cover off to get at the electrical connector. Yes, I am exaggerating: there were about 1200 tabs. And screws. A couple bolts. A handful of plastic push rivets. It was almost pleasant working outside in the cool weather. I took my time; those plastic tabs can be fussy. It helps to have a plastic trim tool.

Of course, Joan wanted to check it out to make sure the electric connection works before I buttoned it up. Nope. Turned out to be a fuse (whew) - good thing we discovered that before putting it all back together: the fuse box is under the front panel, and that was one of the pieces that had to come off. All back together - looks good, works like it is supposed to, and the Blonde is a happy girl. Makes me happy.

Oh, and she wanted the windshield lowered, too. It was just perfect for my height, but a bit too tall for her to look over at anything close. I know what you are thinking: she wants to make that change to her bike, where it will be just right for her, but too low for you? Yeah, kinda selfish, huh?

So, no riding today (wind was pretty gusty), but good to get this done... UPS delivered the kit early this afternoon - good timing.
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    After a nice brunch out this morning (or as Joan calls it: Fru-fru food), we took the scoots out. She declared the USB powered mounting accessory and the lowered windshield a success. We did some highway riding, a nice smooth 25 mph road, and some in-town riding.

I wanted to see what that Xmax would do... we did some acceleration runs, from a stop, and roll-ons at 20 and 40 mph. The Xmax didn't just pull away from the Vespa, it smoked it. Seriously, I saw nothing but tail-lights and they were disappearing fast ahead of me. Not even close. My Vespa has pulled away from the PCX in past comparisons, but this wasn't even close.

Yes, I am still happy with my Vespa... and secure in my masculinity. In years past, I had a Harley when she had a sport bike... her walking away from me in acceleration races didn't bother me back then, and doesn't bother me now. I am thinking about getting a Vmax, though. (Yes, that is a joke.)

We stopped to fill up on the way home. During all our time in the Black Hills, I think the worst fuel mileage I got on the Vespa was in the mid-80s. Today, it was 77.5 mpg. I don't have an accurate mpg for Joan's Xmax because we reset the trip odometer while learning how to pull up all the info on the dash; best guess is better than 75 mpg. Impressive, considering how fast that scoot moves out.

[​IMG]
  13. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day here, but no scooting. Wife day. We did drive the Miata over to watch some crazy people race street luge and skateboards, down a steep curving road! These idiots were flying! I couldn't even get a decent picture, they were going so fast.
    They predicted they might break 70-75 with the new pavement.
    Soldiers of Downhill was the organization. Screenshot_20191013-170206_Gallery.jpg 20191013_144143.jpg
  14. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    70 to 75 with your ass 3" from the pavement??? :loco I'm going to go with a big ol' nope.
    kpinvt likes this.
  15. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    I don't know how fast the guys went on the stand up boards, but my butt 3" off the ground sounds safer than taking a header standing up. I asked the squad guys if they had any serious injuries so far, they said one dude on a stand up fell and dislocated some fingers, but they didn't transport him.
    I'll see if the wife can load the video of the luges crossing the finish line.
    CaptnJim and kpinvt like this.
  16. bikeridermark

Oddometer:

This was from a few years ago, same location
    kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  17. DandyDoug

Oddometer:
    Love that guy's passing everyone in the field. Great skills !!
    I would try it , and could probably win with my fat ass as and advantage.
    Wonder if they have a BOP ( balance of performance) factor to handicap heavier racers :rayof
  18. cdwise

Oddometer:
    We get guys going 50+ mph on longboats skateboards ion some of the roads around us. When. I remember back to my skateboard as a kid days and the effects of a small pebble on a wheel at a 1/10 or less of that speed I'm hell effing no.
    kpinvt likes this.
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Seeing that video, I'm even more in the "Oh, hell no" camp. We have nothing like that around here, because the terrain is flat. I occasionally see someone on a longboard skate board on SPI, but they are "pushing along." Don't want a stand-up push scooter, don't want my ass 3" off the ground on a skateboard. My ass is flat enough as it is, I don't need to "sand" any more of it off! :jack Fun to see other thrill-seekers doing it, though.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    I was amazed. The black PCX has been sitting in our storage unit for about a year. That unit is about 40 miles from our home - inland to keep things (motorhome, boat/trailer) out of the salt air, and perhaps a bit safer if a whirly-girl hits our area. When I put it away, I put Sta-bil in it, rode it out there, disconnected the battery, put the cover on it, and gave it a pat for the good service it provided. I expected we'd sell it.

Fast forward to this morning...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/10/im-surprised.html

The plan: bring the scoot home so I can ride it to the dealer when the front tire we order comes in. That dealer is the other direction from our storage unit. I took ther cover off, reconnected the battery, turned the key, and... the dash lit up. Pressed the started button and it fired right up!

With the tire looking plenty "thin," I wasn't going to ride at speed on the way home; Joan provided "cover" for me, but fortunately the traffic on that back road was light. Home unscathed, other than sweaty (mesh armor gear, jacket and pants, full face helmet, boots, and gloves)... dressed for "the slide, not the ride" just in case that tire came apart.

One more trip of about 30 miles when the tire comes in. I rode the red one for one outing while we were in the Black Hills, but I didn't go far. It was actually a pleasant ride home and reminded me how capable that PCX is for a small(ish) scooter. I declared it ours, not just hers. I'm thinking we will use it for a "grocery and mail getter," and if it doesn't get enough use, we'll sell it.

[​IMG]
    sro99, DandyDoug and klaviator like this.