All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t think they’re going to finish their ride report :(
    Foiler and poppawheelie like this.
  2. drag123

drag123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bet that he is guiding some tour groups to Baja to make money so he can travel to Thailand
    Bgunn and forgorin like this.
  3. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Ed never disappoints.... Hang tight, it will be like lightning striking the ground! :lol3
  4. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, man, they got trampled by a unicorn stampede . . . .
    oh, the humanity . . . :evil
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been waiting patiently for Rad to catch up on his RR. I didn't want to get too far ahead of him. But that guy is hopeless. He is been too busy Unicorn Hunting. In fact, currently, he has been drawn to game outside the country.
    In the meantime, I have been doing some hunting locally as well.

Continuing this RR.......

Our 3rd day on the road, we continued along the North shore of the Dominican Republic toward the border with Haiti. We were getting a bit nervous about getting our bikes across the border. And then we heard all kinds of stories about people being robbed and killed over there.
    we rode thru Puerto Plata and then on into Punta Rucia.
    Here we stopped at beautiful Playa Ensenada for a little break......certainly no Western tourist here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this point on, Rad navigated us thru a remote corner of DR and on to dirt roads. We rode about 40 miles on the dirt and tested out the bikes to see how they would do in those conditions before we crossed into Haiti.
    Here is the local meat market

[​IMG]

We get to this little village along the way and I realized that my flip flops had fallen off my bike and I went back looking for them. Fortunately, they were laying in the road only a couple of miles back. And when I returned, Rad was hanging out on the porch with some locals drinking beer with them. The music was playing really loud. I grabbed one of the ladies by the arm and drug her out in front of the porch to dance with her. I think there is a video of this somewhere.
    But then I spotted this lovely lady, with perfect posture, walking by, balancing her cleaned dishes on head. I found this to be oh so sexy. I went in for the kill, only to be rejected by my advances. Was this a Unicorn? I guess we will never know for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    That night, we rode into the town of Monte Cristi. It was dark at that point and we at some really tasty empanadas from a street cart. The chicken ones were some of the best eats I have ever had....anywhere!

[​IMG]

Riding out to the end of the road, we came to El Morro de Monte Cristi. From here, you can see Haiti off in the distance, as we were very close to the border. Tomorrow was going to be the day that we would attempt to cross into Haiti.

[​IMG]

Just before the sun went down, we found this lookout point in El Morro de Monte Cristi that would serve as our hotel for the night. It has no roof or shelter but it didn't look like it was going to rain (big mistake). But we couldn't resist because the view was so awesome.

[​IMG]

After our Empanadas, we went to a bar nearby with good lighting out front along the street. We ordered a beer and got to work modifying our motorcycles to suit our particular tastes.
    As mentioned earlier in this RR, we bought the least expensive motorcycles we could find because we were very concerned that the bikes would get stolen in Haiti. This was the word we got on the street. Haiti was having some disturbances in the streets that were from people protesting their corrupt government. I think that I read that 50 people were killed in the month prior and I was told by locals that that number was much higher as many of the murders go unreported.
    We were happy with our little two stroke bikes but they felt decades older than they actually were. I had bought new shocks for my bike, but after the dirt roads from earlier that day, the shocks were totally useless again. Our maximum budget was $500 for motorcycles as that was all that we were prepared to lose (not including the value of our other personal items and potentially our lives). We also thought that the bikes were a bit plain, being painted a boring black color that was already beginning to fade and chip. So we stopped at a hardware store in Puerto Plata and bought the materials it would take to convert the bikes in to something special. Our total expenditure was only $5. Our beers that night cost us more than the modifications.
    I went to work adding some blue paint to my bike. Rad, painted his orange naturally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the final result of our efforts
    I had created a BNW (that's right a BNW). And Rad now has a KTM.

[​IMG]

Can't do this with a rental bike

Next up - the night from hell

x
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    That story is coming up.......The worst mosquitos I have ever seen
    Foiler, SmilinJoe, AZMtnRider and 2 others like this.
  8. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love your two new paint schemes. Way funny!!
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Good hunting boys, I love me some game meat.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This was our camping spot near Monte Cristi. It was just a scenic overlook that we were able to tie our hammocks to.
    The view was amazing.
    After painting our bikes, we came back there, strung up our hammocks and had a few sips of rum as we enjoyed the view.
    We looked off in to the darkness and thought that was Haiti staring back at us.
    I also noticed that it looked like it was raining off in the distance. But it was hard to tell for sure as it was really dark out.
    Rad looked at the weather forecast for the area and there was no chance of rain. And no more than 5 minutes later, I felt a drop of rain on my forehead. And then a second drop a second later. Ten seconds later, it was pouring down on us. Both of were scrambling to try and put up our rain covers over our hammocks before everything got soaking wet. But it was too late. We couldn't get the covers up fast enough. There was nothing really to tie them to and the darkness made it even more difficult. we were actually sort of panicking and fumbling trying to keep things dry. The wind kicked up and the covers were just flapping in the wind. We were laughing at it all because we felt like such rookies at that moment.
    [​IMG]

Even with our covers on, sleeping was difficult. Our sleeping bags were already wet, the covers flapped around and the wind got stronger. In fact the wind got so strong, it blew over my bike and ripped my cover in half. Now I had no cover and I was screwed.
    Eventually the rain stopped and I was able to get to sleep.
    But Rad had it even worse.
    When the wind stopped, the mosquitos came out in force. I don't think I had ever seen so many mosquitos before in my life - more than even Alaska!
    My hammock had a mosquito net cover which kept them out. Rad's hammock set up didn't and he fed every mosquito in a ten mile radius.

[​IMG]

But most of the mosquitos bit him thru his hammock material and got his arms. They were bright red and it was swollen like a million mosquitos got him that night.
    My mosquito screen cover protected me well, but I was afraid to get out of my hammock as there were literally 100 mosquitos waiting for me to get out and looking down at me thru the screen.
    When we did get out, there was more feasting to be had.

[​IMG]

Rad got another flat tire so we spent the morning dealing with that as well.
    After a bad night and a slow start to a crappy morning, there is nothing a good breakfast to fix things.
    All this for about $4 or $5.

[​IMG]

as mentioned before, we were concerned about getting our bikes into Haiti. We didn't have any ownership documents for the bikes. We didn't even have license plates on our bikes. We just figured it would be an issue or give them reason to extort money from us.
    We were told that we should go to a notary, pay them some money and have them forge some documents that said we had permission from the previous owner to takke the bikes in to Haiti. We found a notary and we explained our situation. But after an hour trying to get them to help, they couldn't. We probably found the only honest notary in all DR. And then they asked for money from us for consultation time. In the end, we didn't pay anything and we were just going to have to rely on our wits and experience from hundreds of border crossing to get in.
    He is a shot of Rad and I at the Haiti border in Dajabon. We bought some water and headed off in to the unknown.
    Our research said it might not be possible. We were told without papers, that it couldn't be done.
    But money talks and we figured that a corrupt country like Haiti, it would be possible to throw some money their way. I even was carrying some counterfeit 100 dollar bills that might come in handy.
    Not many motorcycles adventurers make this border crossing so we couldn't find out any info. we were just going to wing it and see what happens

[​IMG]

Taking the BNW and KTM in to Haiti. This is where it gets interesting!

x
  11. oic

oic Business is ALWAYS personal

Oddometer:
    "I even was carrying some counterfeit 100 dollar bills that might come in handy."

This is truly inspired! Sig line, Hilarious
    Blind Mule and Romero like this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  13. Rabble

Rabble mountain boy

Oddometer:
    Holding my breath for more. Gasp...
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    First step in to getting in to Haiti is leaving DR.
    Having been thru enough borders, we know that different countries require different things coming and going. The trick is knowing what is real and what is a scam. If they stop you with a gun, it is probably a real reason. If you can just push your way thru, then all other requests are probably scams.
    Getting our passports stamped out is always a requirement. This was our first step.
    We pulled over near the immigration office but far enough away so they couldn't see that we were traveling by motorcycle. Because another concern is Customs, and what they might require, if anything.
    We felt it was best that we go in separately. That way, one of us could stay behind to watch the bikes.
    I went in to the office first to get stamped out.
    There was a small line. I gave them my passport to be processed and then proceeded to another line to pick up my passport.
    In 2 minutes my passport was ready but they asked for $20.
    I had heard that DR requires a payment when entering the country. And that payment was included in the price of the plane ticket. I didn't hear of anything about a payment to be made upon departure. So I resisted.
    They didn't speak English which helped the situation. I just asked for my passport and they asked for $20. I asked why? And because they couldn't speak English, they couldn't tell me. I just kept asking for my passport back. Over and over again......."can I have my passport please????" Working to my benefit was the fact that my passport had already been stamped out, but it was behind the security windows. I just needed to get it in to my hands and I was Golden!!! I spoke with a supervisor who also spoke limited English and I just ignored their requests for money and asked for them to return my passport, very kindly in a way that I didn't understand their requests. Others in line collected their passports and paid the $20 - no mater what country they were from. After about 10 minutes, I finally just wore them out and they returned my passport without me having to pay any money.
    I was finished with immigration and walked out. I felt a sense of victory. I saw Rad there waiting next to the bikes drinking a cold beer from Haiti There was a vendor selling beer about 30 meters from the actual border. Now it was his turn to see if he could get his passport stamped without paying any money. It was really hot out and I went up to the guys selling beer and bought a cold Guinness. Not just any Guinness, but the foreign extra stout.....the good stuff. Not the 4% weak stuff that they make in Ireland. But the 7.5% stuff that puts lead in your pencil. Now I was excited more than ever to get in to Haiti

[​IMG]

After about 15 to 20 minutes, Rad comes back out. Here's a video which captures that moment.
    They got him for $10.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Wq7MAnw1b/?igshid=1t9xarvpoz9bh

x
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Now that we had our passports stamped out, it was time to make our way to the actual border.
    This was my first glimpse of Haiti........People washing their stuff in the river that separates the 2 countries.
    This was an eye opening sight. We had not seen anything like that the week prior in DR.

[​IMG]

We made our way up to the gate at the border exiting DR. There were all kinds of people coming and going. It looked like it was not going to be an issue leaving but at the last second we were stopped. A couple of guys noticed that we stood out from all the other little bikes whizzing around. Maybe it was the fact that we were wearing helmets and motorcycle jackets. Or maybe it was the fact we were riding a BNW and KTM. But they stopped us and asked us for the bike papers. Actually, I think it was the bike papers they wanted but we didn't have any so we tried the "distraction" technique. That didn't work. They also pointed out that we didn't have plates on our bikes. But we quickly pointed out that many of the other vehicles coming and going didn't have plates on their vehicles either. And we also pointed out that no one else was being asked to show papers either. Meanwhile, I was inching ever so slowly toward the border gate with my bike as Rad was doing his best to distract them. I was trying to do 2 things
    1) get close enough I could get thru the gate and get out of DR. The fact that I had my passport stamped was all that was really required. Customs clearance is a moot point once I am in a different country. And besides, the guy stopping us didn't have a gun, so I wasn't really all that worried
    2) If I couldn't get through the gate, I was going to do my best to block access so anyone else coming and going couldn't get through. This would cause a bottle-neck and a lot of unhappy people. And this would not be a good situation for anyone.
    My plan was working. While Rad was arguing and distracting the guy, I had inched my way forward enough to pretty much shut down the border with my bike blocking the way. Things were getting pretty tense. They were yelling at us to go back but we refused to budge. People were honking and trying to get around us. I was just a few feet from the gate at this time and as soon as the guy took a couple of steps aside, I gunned and zipped through the gate in to Haiti. And Rad did the same thing. Success!!!!!
    But 50 feet and 5 seconds later, we were stopped by the Haitians. Three Haitian men working the border had been watching the whole thing from the other side and we were stopped cold in our tracks. I thought.......well this is it.......we are going to jail in Haiti

[​IMG]
    ChadADV, george248, theailer and 28 others like this.
  16. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek2 What's next ?!
  17. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cant imagine what a Haitian jail is like. Maybe we’ll find out.
  18. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not just make a ramp and jump the boarder next trip, if there is ever a next trip.
    #1Fan and Bgunn like this.
  19. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The edventure continues...cant wait to hear the rest of the crossing...or the jailhouse blues.
  20. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    How about marketing some Ed & Rad action figures ? Unicorns sold separately ..:lol3

Good flavor in this ride report, have a hunch it's just getting started!

The choice of motorcycles is starting to make sense.
    #1Fan and flyingdutchman177 like this.