All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

1. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    I can hardly wait to see if either bike makes the whole trip, and how many times you guys ALMOST end up in jail....
    You and Rad's reports are the first things I check whenever I turn my computer on.
    Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  2. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Citadel. Wowzer! :super That place made of rocks rocks.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As we were leaving, a couple of tourist showed up.
    Not Western tourists, but a couple of girls from the nearby city - Cap Haitian.
    They came up on horseback - the way people usually make their way up
    We decided to stick around a bit longer.

[​IMG]

Like no place I have ever been (outside of Africa), it is very easy to have a friendly conversation with women here.

[​IMG]

Did I mention that I developed a taste for Chocolate ice cream while in Haiti?

[​IMG]
    ChadADV, #1Fan, Bombadier36 and 18 others like this.
  4. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Following from El Salvador!
    IMG_20200204_120528.jpg
    "IF" I had a black magic marker. ....
  5. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost time for my Sean Penn story.,
    Great RR guys!!
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Taste for chocolate." I do know what you mean - - long time ago in a land far, far away. :-)
  7. stromsavard

stromsavard Serge

Oddometer:
    Come on guys, those girls are 13 years old...Don't get you in big trouble.....
  8. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR guys!!! So funny about your antics and exploits getting out of the DR and into Haiti, thanks for the entertainment!
    Carry on, ride safe and have fun!
  9. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Will that be one scoop or two? :lol3
    SmilinJoe, locopny, BillUA and 8 others like this.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Riding down the hill presented some new issues. Rad's brakes weren't working well. The road was steeper in places than the photos and videos show.
    It was slow going down. Two strokes dont have much compression braking.......especially with a worn out 2 inch piston with a 6:1 compression ratio.
    We made our way down slowly, stopping and talking to people along the way.

Here's some videos

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5gHObHHGek/?igshid=1mj6rh9xy3g8i

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Bu8_9nvma/?igshid=6eryf4n8nlmo

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7lxst3Hu4U/?igshid=1d1ddnz51omhn

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7tmIinnctp/?igshid=12p9axut0hzjq

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7t9YC_HKOW/?igshid=1csjtgj3b604p
    Force0321, JanSerce, Foiler and 8 others like this.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    After 17 years and doing 150+ tours for the tour company I was working for, I had a falling out with the owner. But I am starting work for a new Baja tour company. And changing my hat from Red to Orange.
    Any tour is only as fun as your guide will make it. And for me, going to Baja is much more than simply riding motorcycles from point A to point B. It's more than just a ride. It is experiences both on and off the bike that count.
    Cloud-9, Romero, Force0321 and 12 others like this.
  12. chinditone

chinditone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well - you have been, and hopefully will always be one of the very best tour guides - as well story tellers - for those who live vicariously through your exploits - on ADVRider.
    #1Fan, BillUA, crashkorolyk and 2 others like this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Another shot leaving the Citadel

[​IMG]

Rad the Unicorn Hunter stops to check out a stray Unicorn along the way (but then scares it away as shown in the video below)

[​IMG]

We stop again at the Palais of Sans Souci at the bottom of the mountain for a better look

[​IMG]

So amazing that this stuff is still around with no one guarding it after almost 200 years

[​IMG]

We figured this was the parking lot. There was not another tourist around for a million miles. And that made the experience all the better. And the reason why I hated Machu Picchu........too many people ruin the experience and it is not a special place any more.

[​IMG]

Ten years ago, Haiti had a big earthquake that killed nearly a quarter million people. That was about the same amount of people in 10 different countries that the Indonesian Tsunami killed in roughly the same time period. The country is still recovering from it. Corruption is rampant. And it is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Haiti is basically Africa in the Western Hemisphere. If I didn't know I was on a small island in the Caribbean Sea, I would swear I was in a poor country in West Africa.
    In the past couple months before we were there, Haiti was in chaos. The year prior, Venezuela stopped shipping cheap gasoline to Haiti. This cause prices to rise 50%. People took to the street and began fighting and killing. Flights were cancelled into the country because of the politically uprising.
    Early in 2019, riots broke out. Protestors targeted wealthy Haitians. They looted stores, burned down a popular supermarket and orchestrated a prison break and freed all the prisoners. In June, a popular journalist was shot and killed after an on air interview where he verbally attacked the government.
    Just a month before our arrival in to Haiti, chaos really escalated. Thousands of people protested all around the country to force the President to step down. On October 11th, a second journalist was killed because he was critical of the government.
    The term Peyi lok is a creole word which means "country lockdown". In the months of October and November, the entire country was shut down - scholls, courts, businesses, public services, police, economic production - all closed. The protestors closed off all the main roads around the country to make sure the economy was crippled. If you dared cross these "picked lines", you risked being killed. Gas and food were in short supplies everywhere. People became desperate. During these protests, 187 protesters, 44 policemen and the 2 aforementioned journalist were killed.

Also, in that year, five Americans, including two former Navy SEALS, a former Blackwater employee, and two Serbian mercenaries living in the US were tasked with protecting the former head of the National Lottery, who intended to transfer US $80 million from a PetroCaribe bank account—controlled jointly by the President, the Prime Minister, and the President of the Central Bank—to a bank account solely controlled by President. So not only were people not happy with their government, I would have to assume they were not happy with the US's policy by backing the very unpopular government of the country. We didn't want to be flashing our american Passports around.

While all this shit is going down, Rad and I make our way into the country as motorcycle tourists looking for a Radicle Edventure. Not sure too many people had done this before and certainly not during this crisis. At this point, we make the decision to head south from Milot to the Capital - Port au Prince. This is where most of the tension is taking place (and where most of the murders too). We had been warned that it was too dangerous to go. We were told that we would surely get stopped at a road block along the way and probably robbed. And that we might even be killed.

Desperate people will do desperate things. This is where the story get interesting.

[​IMG]

This is how gas was being sold in Haiti. Nearly every gas station was closed. People had some how managed to get a few gallons of gas smuggled in past the protesters blocking the roads. Gas got up to over $10 a gallon at this time. But we needed it to keep moving along so we can experience this very interesting country, seeing a side that most will never see, during a time that most would never put themselves at risk to experience.

Sorry this story has been flowing slowly. I hope I still have some people still following along. This little Radicle Edventure might be my best story yet......certainly one of the most Edventurous. And if you are just joining now, these bikes we are riding are really not BNW and KTM's. They are clapped out, 100 cc two strokes that seize up, shift gears on their own, all bearing are shot and tires are so thin, a pointy stick will pop them quicker than you can pull to the side of the road. I know it might be hard to tell, but there is more than just blue and orange paint hiding the fact of what these bikes really are.

x
    ChadADV, #1Fan, SmilinJoe and 35 others like this.
  14. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bet he hated to see her go but enjoyed watching her leave?
    GotDammitDave likes this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Cloud-9, BillUA, Force0321 and 5 others like this.
  16. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    HaW!...she recoiled in abject horror, hope Rad's confidence/ego has recovered from that mortal blow!
  17. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that melted quickly....
    I guess you aren't kidding when you say they are skiddish and disappear quickly. Blink and you miss her in that video.
  18. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bringing the action!

$10 gas is crazy, but got to have it. What kind of gas mileage were you getting? Maybe you're not covering large distances.
  19. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still following, keep it coming when you can, thanks!!
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We couldn't keep track of our mileage as our speedometer and odometers didn't work. But if I were to guess, I would say around 50 to 60 mpg.
    At first, we were reluctant to give them full throttle for very long, but with time, we began to show them no mercy and had them pinned up and down the mountains.
    Rad and I would race each other on the mountain roads, late braking in to corners was the only way to pass the other. And since, the brakes were not so dependable, it was actually "courage" that determined who would win and who would lose.
    Later I will tell a story where I won and lost at the same time.
    Courage and stupidity mixed together like oil and gas with a heavy dose of throttle and brakes that faded into nothingness.
    I even have a video of it all.
    Foiler, SmilinJoe, JanSerce and 10 others like this.