All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before leaving Milot and heading off in to the unknown, we needed food.
    Finding a restaurant in Haiti seems to be impossible because there aren't any. People are too poor to eat out.
    But they do sell food in the street. This is not for tourist because there aren't any of those either. This is cheap food, ready to eat for the local people.
    We found a couple of street vendors selling some pasta. We bought an avocado and some mangos and that was our lunch.

Here is a typical street scene in Northern Haiti

[​IMG]

Rad sits down along side the road to enjoy his meal.

[​IMG]

I am getting friendly with the local chef in town

[​IMG]

After lunch, we head out of Milot. The road on Google maps looked like it was a main road heading south out of town. It was a main road, but it was unpaved. It was no surprise that it was dirt as their aren't many paved roads in Haiti.

[​IMG]

People create jobs where they can. This guy put some dirt on the road to smooth out the pot holes. He hopes to collect money from passing motorists for his little bit of smoothness. We wave and blast on past.

[​IMG]

We rode for some 50 miles on these rough dirt roads, thru small villages and passing scenes that would shock most Western people how the average Haitian lives.
    We didn't mind the slow pace, because it was very educational and interesting for us to find what lies ahead around every corner

[​IMG]

This was a remote part of Haiti, but we were never alone

[​IMG]
    ChadADV, SmilinJoe, JanSerce and 17 others like this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hey....Lost Cartographer........Your words (from your above post) rung in my mind throughout the entire trip because truer advice has never been given.
    But temptation has a way of ignoring the best advice when you want to add stamps to your passport.
    I wasn't planning on sharing this next story, but I decided to share most of it with you. Let's call it...... the Advrider version of the story.
    That story coming up next. This was our second most scary moment from our trip.
    Foiler, SmilinJoe, locopny and 10 others like this.
  3. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_2979.JPG
    EmmEff, BillUA, dano619 and 2 others like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  5. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OMG, who knew unicorns were so fast, that was comedic gold. Reminds me a lot of college....
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  6. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bumped into your Unicorn in Cabarete, Sam. We had a good catch-up that started with me saying, "I've got a funny story to tell you about two moto adventurers..." She responded with "I think I know where this is going..."

I read her your post about meeting her in Cabarete and her being a Unicorn. We laughed and she said that she was flattered... And that you guys were both really cool guys whom she was happy that she met.

I think that you made a better impression than you might have thought. :-)
    Foiler, JanSerce, SmilinJoe and 4 others like this.
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hey Bruce, Good to here from you

Put a good word in for me if you see Sam again or come across any other Unicorns on your travels.

Seems that you have found your own Unicorn when you weren't even looking

Safe travels my friend

[​IMG]
    JanSerce and Foiler like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Good thing we ate some street food in Milot because there wasn't much opportunity for eats along the way to Port au Prince. About an hour before sun down, we started looking for a place to wild camp. We found a really cool place near a river under some trees, but it was close to a small village. It probably would have been ok, but we wanted to try and find a better and more secure place to sleep.
    We rode down the road and found an ideal place to sleep (more on that later).
    Knowing that we had found a place to hang up our hammocks for the night, we now could concentrate on finding food and of course a well deserved cold beer to wash the Haitian dust from our throats after a long day on the dusty roads here.
    Riding here is slow. And it is mostly not our bikes that are limiting our speed actually. The road conditions are one issue. Rad got two flat tires that day......one of them was from a improper patch repair. Plus the scenery is pretty cool. It is not a place you want to rush thru. And when I say "scenery", I am not talking mountains and trees. even though that is nice as well. It is the people and how they live that we both found fascinating.
    Just 2 miles from our camp, we saw this guy bbqing up some chicken in front of his shack. We stopped and asked if he would sell us some chicken. It seems like he had plenty so he agreed to make us dinner for a very nominal fee.
    Something you have to understand before you hear the rest of this story is.......we stood out in this small village. And that is an understatement. The population was about 500 I am guessing. There were a few people standing around and they were just watching us to see what we were doing. We made conversation with 4 girls (all over 18 in case you are wondering). To our surprise, they spoke a bit of English. To say they were curious about us is an even bigger understatement. Of the 4 girls, one of them showed a greater interest in Rad and other one seemed to want to get to know me better. While the bbq man was cooking up some chicken, I told Rad I was going to head in to the center of the small village to buy some beer. I asked the one girl to go with me to show me where I could buy some beers. I unloaded my bag off the back and she hopped on. And away we went, in to Duffalty, just north of Mirebalais, Haiti (try to find that on a map). We bought about 10 beers and headed back to the chicken dinner waiting for us. Rad and I bought the girls a chicken dinner as well.
    As time went on, more and more people began to show up. News had gotten out that there were two travelers passing thru and it seemed to be the most interesting thing to do that evening. Pretty soon, we had at least 50 people around us. At this moment, everything seemed ok. It was like it was the first time they had seen a white person in the flesh and most certainly, it was the first time a Westerner had dinner in their small village.

Man bbqs chicken on the grill for us

[​IMG]

People started showing up. I took a video of the scene. These are screenshots.

[​IMG]

Panning the camera around, I noticed that we were pretty much surrounded by people interested in watching what we were doing.

[​IMG]

This was mom, in the pink top. She seemed to be happy that her daughter was having a good time with the Americans that rolled in to town.

[​IMG]

Here are the two girls that Rad and I were talking to. We bought them some chicken and a couple of beers.

[​IMG]

We never know how our day will go when we start each day. We don't know where we will go exactly and we have no idea where it will end. We just go with the flow. This night, we found ourselves in a very small village in between Milot and Port au Prince, surrounded by at least 50 people, while we were having dinner. And this was no restaurant either. It was just some guy with a BBQ and some chicken willing to sell us some food. It started out small and turned in to a large event.
    One of the girls ate the chicken like she had never had chicken before in her life. It was surely a treat for her. And both girls probably don't have the opportunity to drink beer all that often - priced cheap for Westerners but for Haitians, it is the equivalent to about half a day wage per bottle.
    Now enter the picture this guy, who we called Kato - with the gold chains and all. He was one of the girl's brother.

[​IMG]

We, of course, couldn't buy beer for everyone......there were just too many people there. Kato came up and grabbed one of the beers and opened it with his teeth. I tried to grab it from him and he just laughed and drank half the beer in one big swallow. Then he went over to one of the girls and grabbed half of her chicken dinner. I tried to stop him but he grabbed my hand and bent my fingers backward, causing me great discomfort. I had to let go. He took the chicken and walked away with it laughing as he finished his beer.
    Not much I could do about it. I was surrounded by 50 of his fellow villagers.
    About that time, I realized that maybe we had put ourselves in to a bad position. But at the same time, we didn't want the evening to end. I suggested to Rad that we take the girls on the back of our bikes in to the center of town to the bar for another beer. Of course Rad and I, as good ambassadors, we wanted to show the ladies and good time and be generous with food and beer for them. We loaded up our bikes, putting our luggage all the way back on the rack so we could each accommodate a passenger. It was amazing how much utility these little bikes had. Once done, we told the girls about our plan, which they liked. They hopped on the back of our bikes and off we went

[​IMG]

Rad and I were feeling much better about leaving the large crowd of people that had gathered. It turned in to a mob. We had our gear bags, helmets, jackets, etc around us, but it was dark and we couldn't keep track of our things, fortunately, nothing was taken. It only took us two minutes to arrive in the center of the village. We slowed down to find a bar to get a beer at. And just then, from behind, Kato and 3 of his friends, chased us down, cut in front of us and surrounded us. We had not shared our plans with anyone else about taking the girls in to town simply to have another beer. The four men jumped off their bikes. Kato came over to me first. He shut my bike off by kicking it in to first gear while the clutch was out. He was yelling at me in Creole and in my face. I had no idea what he was saying but I could tell he was very angry and on the verge of losing it. His yelling had drawn the attention of every other man in the village and soon we were surrounded by about 20 local men. He then went to lift off my helmet. I always fasten my chin strap on my helmet but this time I didn't because we were not riding far and we had made a quick get away. So off came my helmet and I thought this was it...... The other guys had Rad's helmet off too and we were completely surrounded. We were about to get our asses kicked, our stuff stolen and if we were lucky, we might have our lives spared.
  9. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, we're waiting - with great anticipation!
  10. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Help, I am falling off the cliff......
  11. Vrode

Vrode Long. Standing. Member Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible maƱana

Oddometer:
    :lurk:drink It just gets better!
  13. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Just like TV!

We know they live, b/c its wrote after they returned home, but still!
  14. fire88dog

fire88dog CaptainStache

Oddometer:
    Dammit Lalo, you are making a habit of this!!! :hide
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So there we were.......surrounded.
    Kato had my helmet off and I was just waiting for him to punch me in the face. I was still sitting on my bike. I couldn't kick start it fast enough to get away. And even if I did, there was his bike in front of me and maybe 10 other guys at that point blocking my escape. And even if I did escape, our bikes were too slow to actually get away. And besides that, it was dark out and I had no working light on my bike.
    In other words ....... we were fucked!

The guys kept yelling things and we just kept saying that we were only going out to have a beer. Honestly, at that point, I had no idea where the girl was that was on the back of my bike. I never looked behind me to see what was going on. I was too focused on Kato and the guys in front of me waiting for the punch to my face. Kato then went over to Rad. He was yelling at him and Rad was just trying to explain the situation. None of us was understanding the other.
    Then I think Kato went behind me. Maybe to where the girls were.....I honestly don't remember if I looked or not. There were still guys in front of me. The only one of the bunch that was confrontational was Kato. He was obviously the Alpha Male in the village and he wanted to show it. One of the guys in front of us then signaled with his arms to leave. I didn't look back or check with anyone else that is was ok. We both just started our bikes and got the hell out of there.
    We were actually going the wrong way from the direction that we needed to go. We had found a place to camp back in the other direction but we didn't want to be followed and we didn't want them knowing where we were going. We headed out in to the darkness and hid for a while.
    While hiding, Rad and I had our first chance to talk to each other about what had just happened. We could barely talk. We knew we had put ourselves in to a bad situation but we couldn't help ourselves to see how it all played out.
    I took a video of the event, surrounded by people. Us chatting and having beers with our new acquaintances. In the video, I say......"ok, let's see what happens next" And Rad replies......."this is going to be very interesting. things could heat up quite a bit"
    So it is not like we were oblivious to the dangers around us. We knew we were playing with fire. But the temptation of a Rad-icle Ed-venture was just too much for us to resist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made our way back to our camp that night.
    Earlier in the day, and while it was still light out, we came across a government office building while looking for a place to sleep. It was down a dirt road and about a mile off of the main road. It had a fence around the property for security. It had a 24 hour guard. And it had a nice gazebo placed in a garden like setting. It was ideal. We asked if we could spend the night there. Absolutely no Haitian person would have been allowed to stay there. But a couple of white Americans, it might be possible. They made some calls and we got permission to camp there for the night.
    Riding back to the property at around 11 pm that night, and having the guard open the gates for us so we were safely inside the compound of the night, was a relief to the both of us that we were going to live another day to explore more of this crazy country.
    Our next destination was Port au Prince. The city many warned us not to travel to and told us it was far to dangerous to visit at the moment because of the demonstrations going on. But we were determined to get there.

And if you thought that moment was intense, what until you hear this next story........how the local Port au Prince king-pin drug lord was gunned down near us and how we had to make our escape. Our most intense day is coming up.

The above photos are taken from the government office compound.
    Cloud-9, JanSerce, SmilinJoe and 16 others like this.
  16. willmaniac

willmaniac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else surprised its taken this long for him to be attacked by an angry mob for being overly friendly with young local girls ?
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Maybe this wasn't the first time.....just saying :-)
    What happened at the end of the next day won't make it on this RR.
    I don't want to lose my squeaky clean image.
    Maybe it will make it on Rad's RR......if he ever finishes his.
    JanSerce, SmilinJoe, #1Fan and 3 others like this.
  18. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw on fb you are going to Seoul?
  19. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    That was quite a story. Did you guys lose your helmets in your haste to leave?
  20. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could it be unicorn hunting?....or 'Seoul searching'?
    Saw that too....guessing may have a bit of cliffhanger until the next episode. Safe travels sir!