All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I am dedicated to finishing this RR.
    I am currently 45 days in to my next Edventure and I need to catch up to current time

Before I get to Rad and I going BIG in Port au Prince Haiti, let me go back and post a couple of videos that I uploaded on Youtube about our Radicle Edventure escaping the Rum Distillery when a Drug War was starting in the neighborhood.

Check them out and I will go forward from there.

SmilinJoe, MaNDan, Cloud-9 and 5 others like this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Rad and I made our way in to the heart of Port au Prince, which is pretty amazing considering more than one person told us that we would get killed trying. We had some close calls in the past 24 hours, but we were there - alive.
    Rad spoke with a guy (turned out to be a kid) on couchsurfing and he offered us a place to stay for the night. Think about that for a moment - a kid from Port au Prince Haiti offered up a place for us to sleep ( for free) using social media. Incredible. And the experience was priceless.
    His family's house was a dump - and that is putting it nicely. But like most Haitian people we met, they had a warm heart.
    He is a little video introducing you to our host and the plans he had for us that night.
    We hadn't been killed yet, but if any night was going to be our end, it was going to be this night ....... a night on the town in Port au Prince - just hours after the Haitian Drug King-pin was gunned down. And add in so many Guinness Foreign Extra Stouts, I lost track of actually what happened that evening......at least that is my story and I am sticking to it!

I found some photos on my phone in the morning that helped recall the story of the events that occured that evening. This photo has been cropped to protect the guilty. And this was taken early in the evening. I have a fuzzy memory of there being many more empty beer bottles on this little table and a few more people around it.

[​IMG]

x
    SmilinJoe, george248, MaNDan and 19 others like this.
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Going back a day, before arriving in to Port au Prince, about 2 or 3 hours north of the Capital, we needed food. But in Haiti, outside the capital, there really aren't any restaurants per se. But in some of the bigger towns, you can find street food. This series of short videos are unedited and give you an idea what it is like there - better than just words aloneslef could describe. Watch one of them or all of them. If you have self isolated yourself, you might have the time to watch them all.

Rad picks the most attractive street vendor to buy his food from .....lol

ENJOY!
    SmilinJoe, MaNDan, theailer and 16 others like this.
  4. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    "Lets see what happens in 4 hours" :lol3:lol3:lol3. No Wineyard or White Wall from abandoned house close-by. Enjoy your confinement both Rad and You with Unicorns.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  5. Vtrrookie

Vtrrookie Look it's that Dutch Guy!!

Oddometer:
    :roflA well trained stumach can deal with praticly everything you put in it. Nice to see this RR getting finished.
  6. cappt

cappt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I seen the cat in the hat!
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So I assuming the video above paints a pretty good picture what went down in Port au Prince that night.
    There is another video from the next morning, but I wouldn't dare post that one.
    Maybe Rad will shed some light on it in his RR.
    If you are still curious, and if our paths cross, buy me a beer and ask to see the video.

In the morning, we left our host's house and headed out of town. But we had to ride thru the city, which is very entertaining.
    There are streets with 4 feet of rotting garbage for half a mile and people selling food and stuff right next to it.
    Honestly, it was probably the worst living conditions I have ever seen.
    I have videos of riding thru the City and I will get to that.
    But first, here are some videos of a typical gas station with a very armed guard. And a supermarket with a guard tower, a prison gate and a lot of men with very big guns.

See what you think.

SmilinJoe, MaNDan, theailer and 19 others like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    One reason I haven't posted much here is I wasn't sure if I had much of an audience left. It take a bit of effort.
    I can speak for pretty much everyone posting on Advrider. We aren't doing it to listen to ourselves. We do it get a reaction from others and hopefully provide something that will help someone in some capacity.
    mattn, george248, MaNDan and 32 others like this.
  9. Vtrrookie

Vtrrookie Look it's that Dutch Guy!!

Oddometer:
    I don't post much but I really like the written reports from you, Lightcycle, Joris v. O. Just to mention a couple.
  10. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of you two is a bad influence. I haven't figured out which one. :lol3
  11. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im guilty of reading a lot and commenting very little, I very much enjoy your ride reports though! They remind of some of the things I did when I was younger, think well and before the www came a long, I still enjoy rough camping and chasing sunsets, I just dont go outside the country to do it anymore. So now I get to live this lifestyle through your ride reports! You dont disappoint! I will buy you a beer if we ever get a chance to meet, hope you like the cheep stuff!
    flyingdutchman177 and steved57 like this.
  12. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    I for one read pretty much everything you post and really enjoy it.
    Must admit I never thought to reply more to let you know we are following.
    Will do that more now.

I appreciate the time and effort you spend to do these reports for “us”

Thanks
    BB
    locopny, flyingdutchman177 and Foiler like this.
  13. Bigman2

Bigman2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't comment much but I read all of your reports and really enjoy all you do to show us how life is around the world. Don't stop posting and thank you for taking the time to do this.
  14. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    miss your updates
  15. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read all your posts also Ed. And follow along on Facebook and Instagram. Thanks for taking us to places we will never be able to see and places where normal people shouldn’t even go to. It is very appreciated.
  16. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    :clap:imaposer:gdog:thumbup:super:*sip*:ricky:nod
  17. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Hola Ed,
    I've already bought you beers so send me the "next morning" video!:photog
    Foiler likes this.
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    What OdyBandit says is true, "places we will never be able to see and places where normal people shouldn’t even go to." You really make me not want to go there, although I have had a pleasant experience in DR, l-o-n-g time ago, 1979.
    tlub and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  19. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’M pretty much a lurker! I hate to mess up anyone else’s story with my drivel! Rest assured, the majority of your readers are anxiously waiting for your and Rad’s next post! Please continue!
  20. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed, there are many thousands of us following your ride reports and look forward to the all kinds of shit you manage to get yourself into and then out of. The vast majority of us greatly appreciate your efforts in creating your reports but avoid responding to your thread to avoid filling it with a bunch of useless clutter. But, rest assured, you have a ton of loyal followers that thoroughly enjoy living vicariously and traveling the world through you.

I have been following you since the beginning and you (and Rad) provide a view to the world I otherwise would not be able to experience. Thanks for all of the ride reports!!