All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhjiii46

rhjiii46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed, I too have followed you from the beginning without commenting (sorry about that!) I did have the pleasure of meeting you in Rancho Cordova when you spoke at Clearwater Lights. (I was the one on a red Goldwing). Still look forward to every word you share with us.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Willing

Oddometer:
    Hi Ed, like many have already said I greatly enjoy and appreciate your ride reports, all of them. With my lack of experience and general quiet personality it doesn’t seem useful for me to speak out much. I don’t want to take away from the great stories with pointless comments that’s all.

Please keep posting your Edventures as you have lots of fans out here.
  3. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    I just got back from the DR. Rented a car and drove all over the country for a couple weeks. I had no desire to see Haiti.
    I do not Facebook or Instagram so the videos you post here are greatly appreciated.
    There you go ... that's my "useless drivel" just to show you that I'm paying attention. Carry on!
    Foiler likes this.
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Over 83,000 views!
    Yup.
    You got groupies.
    :jack
    Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  5. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Expressing doubt in the crowd of your followers was like stepping into a hornets nest, judging by all the responses you got :hide
  6. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too, follow along and ENJOY, but post little. Please carry on Ed. I've been following you since the very start. Brilliant stuff.
  7. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is probably the most unique and fascinating RR I've ever read here. It's just an incredibly interesting look at a part of the world most of us will never see.
    Thanks so much for posting it.
  8. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto to all these responses, especially dmac.
  9. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    Wash your hands, don't run with scissors.....and KEEP ON POSTING!
    Wouldn't it be a pisser if, after all the stupid things you and Rad have done, you died because you touched your face?
  10. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto
  11. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are watching the videos, you noticed that we made a big change in plans. Instead of riding thru more of Haiti, we decided to head to the border back in to DR. We really wanted to see more of Haiti but we were out of time. The roads were going to be bad where we were planning to go and that would have taken too much time.
    Rad had a flight out in about a week and we needed to get back to Punta Cana, sell the bikes and complete our journey. Plus we wanted to hike up the tallest mountain on the island and the tallest mountain in the Caribbean, and that would take 2 full days. There was still a lot more to do and see first. Plus we came up with an epic way to end the trip - if all went well.
    So we headed to the border. Getting out of Haiti was almost anti-climatic compared to getting in.
    Here are a couple of videos at the border.
    I will post the video of us getting in to Haiti at a later time. I think it is the most epic moment we caught on digital "tape" the whole time we were there.

SmilinJoe, MaNDan, Cloud-9 and 4 others like this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    If you been following along, I like barrel aged imperial stouts best which are definitely not cheap. but I would never turn down any beer (except for Heineken or any light beer)
    Smidty likes this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Trust me when I say, everyone that posts on Advrider will appreciate your comments. Some of us pour our hearts out with our words and we all want to know that our words are not falling on deaf ears.
    I spent 5 years traveling around the world, blogging about my Edventures. I spent thousands of hours working on my ride reports that unfortunately got split in to two reports. And in all that time, while I was traveling, I had a few people who were making comments and I would notice that sometimes my views were increasing by a few thousand a day. But that only felt like numbers on a counter wheel and not individual real people that I actually knew. It is a lonely proposition traveling the world solo on two wheels and us bloggers are reaching out to people looking for support, attention and someone to talk to to share our adventures with. Honestly, view counts and just a few comments from the same people that you only know from an Inmate name still is sometimes not enough to make you feel like the effort is worth it. It was not until I was finishing my around the world ride and I rode thru the US doing speaking engagements along the way that I realized the impact I made. While I was in Colorado, an inmate approached me at one of my venues that I only knew from his inmate name. And I will never forget his to me when he introduced himself. He said that over the past couple of years, he was going thru some hard times in his life (which he didn't elaborate on) and that my words from my RR helped him thru this tough period he was going thru. And then he asked if he could give me a hug. I felt very uneasy at that moment but I told him it was ok. And he gave me a hug that I will never forget. It wasn't a gay sort of hug. It was at the moment, I realized that I had really touched this guy. A guy that I had never met before in my life but it was obvious that I had a very positive impact in this man's life. And it was at that moment, I realized that the countless hours that I put in to this RR was all worth it.
    I know that there are a lot of people out there that I am touching but they don't necessarily reach back to me. But when they do, I can tell you, it is very well received.
    So if you are following someone else and appreciate their words, photos and time they put in to their RR, be sure to reach out to them. Send them a PM if you don't want it to be public.
    We are all in this world together. And we are need each other to make it go around - now more than ever.
    Thanks again for your support.
    I hope you are enjoying the videos I am posting as much as we enjoyed making them.
    Neither Rad are I are making any money from this and we are not asking for any money either.
    We don't want to be bought and we don't want to be perceived as being fake - saying something to get more likes or followers for our own personal gain.
    We don't have any sponsors and our trips are all self funded.
    If you don't like what I have to say, then there are plenty of other RR's to follow. Please respect the fact that there is more than one way of being "right" in this world and it is ok to have a difference of opinion. If everyone was like this, the world could be a much better place.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Really good beers too
    I will send you a PM with some photos to fill you in.
    And full story next time we meet up
    Blind Mule and roadcapDen like this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am currently a month and a half in to my next Edventure and currently stuck half way around the world from home. I will start a new RR when I finish this one which will be pretty crazy considering that most of the world is under lock-down
    MaNDan, BillUA and Foiler like this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comment. I have heard from many people that they dont want to make comments because the don't want to ruin the flow of the story. Please don't think this way. And you can always send the others you are following a PM letting them know you are enjoying their posts. I promise they will appreciate it.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    If I die from some virus, it won't be from touching my own face....lol
  18. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time, Ed.
    Followed your first 800 days, and since.

Truly look fwd to your posts, not to mention you next EdVenture.

Mike B
  19. Archie Adv

Archie Adv Celtic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for continuing the RR Ed it is appreciated. There are worse places to be holed up in than Chiang Mai and I'm sure you will have been in some of them. Thankfullly its not Haiti! That would have been a pisser. Keep on on keeping on. Tks.
    flyingdutchman177 and Foiler like this.
  20. Piggdekk

Piggdekk love speed, hate rush

Oddometer:
    How do You know Archie? These guys would make the best out of anywhere!
    another silent follower here doing his outing
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.