1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

1. chinditone

chinditone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I have said this before on one of your threads; you are amongst the greatest ADVriders "real life" adventure posters, and are the greatest in terms of the overall input, IMO.

You are obviously a complex person, yet you like to be a simple and straightforward person, a clever person, yet you are always like to an accessible person, and you also have an innate decency that makes you always want to give rather than take, and you thus always ensure that you bring a shedload extra to each of your "ride reports" besides just some good and relevant photos and a few explanatory words - even in bad times, which I really think says a lot of good things about your character.

In fact, I think we, the ADVrider readers, are extremely privileged, because we do get share your soul vicariously through your words and storytelling - the honesty, the inventiveness, the common sense, the controlled craziness, the caring, the fun, the failures, the amazing adventures, the philosophizing, the joy of life, the joy of motorcycles, the joy of discovering different cultures and people, the joy of watching you work out your meaning in life, your friendships, your loves, your moods, your happiness, your sadness, your generosity, your courage, your tenacity, your cleverness, your cheekiness, your seriousness, your magic string and good fortune, your bad luck, your decency, your frustrations, and the education of watching you cope with whatever your Edventure throws your way.

Its priceless stuff Ed. We can't ever thank you enough for sharing your life and taking us all along on your rides and Edventures. We are all in your debt. Long may your Edventures continue.
  2. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great videos Ed! It's a lot of effort to keep an rr going, thanks for that!

I might have said it before, but your reports are probably the main reason I got into this adventure motorcycling stuff. Reading about all these places I set a goal for myself to go there one day. And setting that goal changed my life I would say.

So, thanks again!
  3. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Ed
    Your well worded reply to my post has really opened my eyes.
    I’ve been reading yours and many other great reports on ADVRider for years. Due to my age and situation in general, I will NEVER get to experience what you do.
    So it’s extremely gratifying to follow along and with your style of writing it at times feels like I’m actually right there with ya.

As to what you say about appreciating comments, I’m going to confess that I had the opposite thought.
    I feel guilty for not contributing ride reports myself yet getting so much out of others reports. So it seems like intruding at times and I felt that a busy traveller with possibly limited internet time, and plans and situations happening and actual family and friends to stay in touch with; really wasn’t to interested in seeing comments from some old random dude from Canada.
    Obviously I can’t know if other ADVR’s putting out reports feel the same as you but going forward, I’m definitely going to comment more.

Thanks for the ED-ucation
    :beer
    BB

edit to ask a question.
    Does a simple “like” on a post provide any gratification?
    MaNDan, chilolac, BigDogRaven and 2 others like this.
  4. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Agree with all the above, and I’ll add that your posts here keep me off the FB shit show, so much appreciated. Please keep them coming if possible.
    Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  5. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Still here Ed, since the beggining shakedown ride to AK. :thumb :wave

There's a new Italian mistress in my garage if and when you make it back to CO.

Aprilia%20Rampart.jpg
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good words. Good words. Keep riding and keep writing, please.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    So, at Port au "Prince", was it you or Rad? :dutch
  8. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great vids, Lalo! Been following right along and enjoying the ongoing adventures for what 8 years now for you? Much respect and thanks to you for the entertainment and inspiration.
    Good luck and stay safe in your current location I'm following on FB.
  9. Tijustme2

Tijustme2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed, still following. I have read every word, every post. You, along with others on ADV, were a huge influence for me on my own trip. It has also been my pleasure to meet your brother because of you. Barrel aged stout in your future next time in Colorado.
  10. IDWPUNK

IDWPUNK ¡IDAbogado!

Oddometer:
    Ed, I have been following for years...since Mexico, however long ago that was...I check your thread every morning, and it is the only ride report I actively follow because, by far, you offer the most adventure for time spent reading. At any rate, I appreciate that you share your adventures with those of us who cannot travel like you do. If you are going to guide Baja again, I hope you can let us know in a way that doesn't break the rules. Que le via muy bien, Lalo.
  11. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    I've only commented a time or two, but read everything you post. Like many of those who follow your reports, I tend to skim/skip posts from the "gallery". I guess I've tended to under-appreciate that feedback is useful to the report author! I'll try to drop a quick line from time to time. Thanks for posting another amazing trip.
    Brian
  12. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still in as you know, talk soon brother.
  13. LowRecoil30

LowRecoil30 n00b

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming. Those of us in Corona lock down need something to look forward to.
  14. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    I don't think I could have said it better than others here. It is true we don't like to 'clutter' your threads. I LOVE reading what you have been up to. When you take time to post new stuff I usually refrain from asking when the next post is going to be because I get how much time and effort goes into writing these.

I wonder where you are now!? Where ever it is I hope you're doing well. If there is anything I can do to help you out if your stuck somewhere give us a shout.

P.S. Still waiting for you to come to Japan. I've been putting off selling a few of the bikes so you can have your pick!
  15. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    More "clutter" Ed,
    I still vividly remember when you were here and on your 2nd day I asked when you are leaving or moving on and you said never!I
    Jaja.
    Sorry can't find the pics.
    Still breaks me up, good times Bro'. Fkn funny guy.
  16. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Fn'a Ed we are still here brother!
    RiderRick and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the nice comments. It means a lot to me.

As I mentioned before, we were originally planning to rent a couple of Chinese 200 or 300 cc bikes in DR and ride them in to Haiti. They would have worked fine for the trip actually. But we were told that we would mostly likely get these rental bikes stolen from us in Haiti and we would have to pay for the full value of the bikes to the rental agency. This was a huge issue as we didn't know the full value of the bike and our responsibility. PLus I didn't have that much money to cover the loss. We were also uncertain that we would be able to take the bikes out of DR and in to Haiti without a power of attorney from the bike's owner authorizing us to take the bikes out of the country. And we were hesitant to ask the rental place for permission as I am fairly certain they would not allow us to take the bikes in to Haiti. So after I arrived, I started to look in to just buying a couple of cheap bikes. We did not want to pay over $500 each for the bikes as that is all we were prepared to lose. Neither one of us had much money to invest in this trip (remember, we are both self funding) so that was going to be our total budget for the bikes. I did find a couple of well used Chinese bikes that we could buy for that amount but they were sort of dorky looking. The Suzuki AX 100 two stroke bikes are extremely popular in DR and after 2 days looking, I found a couple of these bikes for $500 each. We ended getting ripped off (that story was covered earlier). But riding these little oil burners turned out to be a lot of fun, despite their many deficiencies.
    Half way in to our trip, Rad and I were approached by the BMW and KTM factory. Since I rode a BMW successfully around the world and Rad did the same on his KTM, they chose us to test a pair of prototype adventure bikes that both BMW and KTM are working together to produce. Plus, doing in DR and Haiti, it would keep the media's eyes away from their efforts while some of the bugs were worked out.
    Introducing the all new BMW GS1400 and the KTM 1390 Adventure.

Because BIGGER is Always BETTER..... :-)

Be sure to wait until the end of the video to see the special interview from a potential new customer.

Motoman66, MaNDan, Vtrrookie and 8 others like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Typical bus in Haiti

[​IMG]

Beautiful lake the form the border of DR and Haiti

[​IMG]

Haitian boy shows off his catch - he won't being going hungry for another day

[​IMG]
    MaNDan, fasttortoise, Smidty and 11 others like this.
  19. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a funny looking Mercedes Buss. Same goes for the new BMW and KTM.
    :rofl
    MaNDan and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  20. AnywhereButHere

AnywhereButHere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You didn’t mention the next gen ABS.
    Foiler likes this.