All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rad's bike seizes again. This time because there is no oil

At nightfall, we are caught out in a rough area of DR......what to do now

We end up sleeping on a pig farm owned by a man with a machete

SmilinJoe, Cloud-9, theailer and 3 others like this.
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    “We end up sleeping on a pig farm owned by a man with a machete“

mmmm, bacon...
    roadcapDen and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  3. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't everyone there have a machete?
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Heading back toward Punta Cana to sell the bikes and finish the trip
    One last race on the highway.
    My bike is losing compression and slows

We give the bikes a good wash and touch up the paint

We start at the first shop with a high price thinking our BNW and KTM will sell for more than we paid for them

After visiting the 10th bike shop, we realize no one has cash to buy the bikes at any price

Reluctantly, we go back to the crook that sold us our bikes. He promised to buy them back, but he too doesn't have any money. Plus he originally told us we don't need the original documents but we found out this we not true. If we were going to sell the bikes, we needed the bike papers - which the guy agreed to sell to us for additional money.....and not just give them to us. I wanted to punch the guy.

We were just wasting time.
    After two weeks sleeping in out hammocks and on pig farms, we wanted the full DR experience and had something BIG planned.
    We kept the bikes and rode off to experience something completely different
    SmilinJoe, Bigman2, Cloud-9 and 7 others like this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We were experiencing a side of DR and Haiti that most people would never see.
    Because this is an "All Inclusive Radicle Edventure, we figured we needed to experience what the other 99.9% see when they come here.
    The whole time we were here, we spent zero dollars on accommodations. We slept in our hammocks each night - on beaches and pig farms.
    Now it was time to splurge a bit..

I would imagine that everyone that comes to the resorts in Punta Cana, arrives by plane, are shuttled to and from the airport directly to the resort by a prearranged shuttle.
    I am pretty sure they had NEVER seen an entrance like this before.
    In fact, we had trouble convincing the man at the front gate that we were in fact guests. With a few calls to check out reservations, they finally let us in.
    And this was our grand entry

I must have been overwhelmed with emotion

In the history of the resort, I don't think they have seen anything like this before

Check in took a while. We had them a bit confused. They were sure if they should call the police or give us our room key. In the end, they gave us the room key but they forgot to give us our bracelet for using the facilities - which would come back and haunt us

6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    After 2 weeks sleeping in a hammock on the beach, this room is a big change. And it is all inclusive. Our room included its own "washing machine"

Getting this party started - and we having even made it to dinner yet. The night is still young

7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Time for Dinner - all inclusive style

Rad takes a turn

I take a turn....., it is harder than it looks

After dinner, we watch the show and have a few more drinks

8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The next morning...
    I ended up sleeping in the hotel lobby. I never even made it back to the room

Making the most of our stay

Sailing in the Caribbean

markonitogen, BillUA, Bigman2 and 6 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Our second day at the resort. Natural comedians

Final wrap up on our Radical Edventure

BillUA, Smidty, Trip Hammer and 3 others like this.
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The next day, Rad flew home. I still had 3 days left in DR. We spent the next morning, after leaving the resort trying to sell the bikes.
    The KTM was older and worth less money but it had real papers and a plate. The BNW, looked nicer, was a year newer but didn't have the necessary papers.
    We were offered $200 for the KTM. And no one wanted to touch the BNW.
    We only paid $500 for each bike. We never thought they would make it to the end. We figured they would get stolen or blow up. But they both made it the whole way around the island of Hispaniola.
    I told Rad to just leave and I would deal with both bikes.
    I dropped him off at the airport and headed to the beach.
    Rad made a good observation......If one had a bracelet for the resort, one could sneak back in to said resort after checking out and eat and drink like a king. But how could one get in???
    The front door was sealed shut. No way in past the guard without a reservation. Plus we left quite an impression on the staff so they surely would remember us leaving.
    The back door, along the beach, was left wide open, but the nearest entry point was 5 miles away. That meant a 5 mile jog along the beach for free food and drinks. It was more of a challenge, to see if it was possible. I didn't want to push my luck too far as I didn't want to miss my flight being stuck in a DR prision. After a 5 mile run on the beach, I can attest that one works up a pretty good hunger and thirst for adult beverages. The walk (stagger) back took 2 hours - in the dark. But it was very possible. I went back the next day as well.
    But I was pushing my luck. The very first person I saw at the bar, said....."I thought you were only staying two nights". People asked where my friend was as well. Note to self.......when sneaking in to an all inclusive resort, keep a low profile and blend in while you are a guest there.
    On my last day, I dealt with selling the bikes. I put the word out on the street that the bikes were for sale cheap. I ended up selling the KTM for about $180 and the BNW for about $220. So we took a $300 hit each - same price as it would have cost to rent a cheap Chinese built little bike. So in the end, we were no worse off.
    I said goodbye to Hispaniola, got on a airplane ( remember those???) and flew back to California.
    This trip really surprised me. As mentioned in the last video, this short trip was one of my most adventurous trips yet. And it was so much fun with my Brother Rad.

Now bring on Africa - if the world ever opens up again.
    The End (I finished it)

x
    markonitogen, BillUA, Foiler and 23 others like this.
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    "You guys are kinda sexy and l wanna party with you!"
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Here's another video from earlier in the ride. Passing thru a small village along side a dirt road, we stop for coffee. But they had no coffee so we order a beer.
    And then this happened. Making friends and smiles where ever we go

13. Bacchusman

Bacchusman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A clash of cultures right there. Ed, your enthusiasm and commitment to the task is commendable and great fun to watch. But the senorita grew up with that rhythm and a big white guy randomnly throwing his body parts around unsettled her. My advice if you want to improve the unicorn score card in Latin America is to take a course in cuban salsa 101
    Cheers, L
    asromalover likes this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I totally agree. I have no rhythm and I am like a robot. But it doesnt keep me from trying to have fun
  15. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you put a finally on this. Looks like it was a hell of an adventure. Rad looks like he was drinking a little. Nothing wrong with that. Glad to see you both had a great time. I hope Thailand is treating you well.
  16. Foiler

Foiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Thanks for finishing this report for poor bastards like myself with no life. The wife crashed her little CRF230 and broke her leg in 4 places so I literally havent been out for any fun in 8 weeks and counting. We wont be doing anything until at least October. Is there a new RR that I am missing? Will there be a new RR on here or only on social media?
  17. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome guys.
    Shows you don’t have to go RTW to experience an edventure.
    Good inspiration - some of us have a limited amount of time - but this shouldn’t stop us!

On a side note, I drove (cage) around Jamaica with a lady friend a few years ago. Simply awesome, and would make a great Moto-adventure too. PR is another option, all a short jump from southern US.

Where do I send my money in for a BNW? Then again maybe the KTM is better for trench jumping?
    :wings