All Inclusive Rad-icle Ed-venture - Around Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) on 2 wheels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that if you get shot on this trip it will be because of a girl, not a bike...
    td63, flyingdutchman177, orv and 7 others like this.
  2. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those little Suzuki's are pretty capable people carriers, a guy took one through the Darien Gap a few years back.

Saw this one in Cuba recently, very popular there as well.

[​IMG]
    JanSerce and spokester like this.
  3. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish more new naked bikes would get a seat that looks that good!/spacious!You could put the whole family on that baby!
  4. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought not one, but two motorcycles today. They are a pair of Suzuki AX 100's that Radim Cejnar and I are attempting to ride around Hispaniola (Haiti and DR) over the next 2 weeks. They are very well used single cylinder 100 cc two stroke bikes. They dont have working lights, turn signals or horns. I dont know the top speed because the gauge doesnt work (or missing) but I am guessing maybe 40 mph. They don't have keys because they are now "hot wired" on. And there are no license plates or ownership papers with these bikes. But they do run - for now. We wanted something inexpensive as we are sort of expecting to be robbed at some point. Now this is going to be a Rad-icle Ed-venture.
    I need to figure out how to post some pictures here.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
    With in 10 meters after clearing customs at the airport, i was approached in the duty free area by a girl. She gave me her phone number which I conveniently lost.
    Another girl came on to me strong here. I told her I dont (directly) pay for sex and she immediately said, "nice to meet you - goodbye".
    You aren't talking to a rookie here. I havent survived this long doing stupid things. But damn, there is always a first time for everything. I need to stay focused on the Adventure.
    orv, SmilinJoe, Foiler and 11 others like this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I bought, but ours don't look anywhere that nice.
    VisionPilot likes this.
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Might look good. But trust me, after a few years and butts bouncing on them, the padding gets compressed down to nothing. I wonder if Sargent makes seats for these?
    RiderRick likes this.
  8. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    You're only Human after all.... :lol3 Yeah, were going to need some pictures.
    Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  9. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    Ed, how much did you have to pay for these two bikes?
  10. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Potential solution - Post the photos here on ADVrider, then have someone back home grab them off this site and upload them to your Imgur account.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    500 USD each.
    We are hoping to sell them for something less when we are done.......that is if they are not donated in Haiti.
    Renting bikes would cost us about $300. So if we can sell them for $201, then we are ahead.
    But the biggest reason we wanted to purchase bikes is to cap our liability and exposure. If these bikes get damaged or stolen, we know our total liability is $500. With a rental, who knows.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The truth is, starting today, the real Rad-icle Ed-venture starts. Rad arrives, and we are taking the bikes into the unknown. No more airbnb. No more consistent wifi. And no more time for real posts.
    Real adventures dont have ride reports for this reason. We will try to give some updates but the details and photos to be uploaded will have to wait until the end. E
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    One issue that came up just before i closed the deal on the bikes is this:
    The bikes are run on 6 volt AC.
    Are there any electoral engineers out there that know how we can charge our USB powered 5V DC devices without having to install a recifier?
    The batteries have been removed so it is probably the reason the lights dont work. Can we connect a power socket to the light circuit to run the gps and to charge our phones? Is there a filter that maintains voltage at a reasonable level that won't harm our devices?
  14. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    DR is a fascinating country with a long history of brutal dictators and corruption. Check out "The Feast of the Goat" by Mario Vargas Llosa for a little back story on Raphael Trujillo. It's a fictional account of Trujillo's overthrow, but sticks close to the facts. I went to DR in the '90s for my honeymoon. It's an incredibly beautiful place. Here's hoping you figure out the picture situation because I can't wait three weeks!
    elron and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  15. Kiwi Canuck

Oddometer:
    I'll see if I can get a wiring diagram for this bike, if you have a multi meter you can check the circuit that charges the battery, it should be 6-7VDC.
    Usually the lights are AC and are used to regulate the current coming off the alternator so the battery only gets the extra current after going through a regulator/rectifier.
    That's why when the headlight or tail light burns out the battery will be overcharged and usually boils dry.
    I've bought several Honda ST90's and CT110's and everyone of them came without a battery, or the battery was dry and either one or both light bulbs were burned out.

See if you can find a 5VDC Voltage Regulator that has an output of 1 Amp, it can take any DC input voltage up to 30VDC and will regulate the output to 5VDC.

[​IMG]
    Good luck and I'll see if I can find anything else.

David.
  16. JanSerce

JanSerce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If Seargent make a seat for you it will quadrupple the value of this bike!
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The Rad-icle Ed-venture has begun. And I can not imagine a more crazy day. Rad has arrived and we have bikes, but it was not without a ton of drama and our introduction to a cast of characters that I thought could only be made up in the world of stereotypes.
    It is 230 am and I still cant believe everything that happened. It ended by us drinking beers, partying with locals, ladies all around us and escaping a mini riot as the police arrived. Our eyes are wide open now. I can't imagine what day 2 will be bring. Time for some sleep and then bring it on.
    And yes, we have photos and videos
    ChicoProf, orv, AirCommando and 25 others like this.
  18. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Stay thirsty my friend! This will be good.
    flyingdutchman177 and dano619 like this.
  19. Kiwi Canuck

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you managed to get the charging port sorted out yet but you could try one of those 12VDC to USB convertors and hardwire it to your existing battery terminal wires.

It should regulate the output to 5VDC.

They should be available in DR at an auto parts store or maybe a motorcycle shop etc, so worth a try.

[​IMG]
    flyingdutchman177 and Champe like this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have one with me but I think the bike is running on AC. I don't think there is a rectifier. My new headlamp uninstalled blew in 5 minutes. The current is not regulated because the battery has been removed. I am using my Black Diamond head lamp as a headlight
    BruceT, jowul, SmilinJoe and 5 others like this.