all round,greatest gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kymbo, Aug 2, 2010.

1. fetid_swamp

fetid_swamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    man, i gotta get me one of those.
    while riding to supplement the gps on the bars, have it runn9ing ozi, switching between topos and referenced air photos. awse.
    win mob so i can run my work stuff, and wifi so i can surf.
    oh yeah, next g phone too.
    just the entry price is keeping me out atm...
  2. searchin oz

searchin oz Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer:
    A few people have mentioned the USB external power point on some Garmin units may be an issue.

I have a little Etrex whatever it is (its yellow:wink: ) and it has the USB power point.
    It has done 20,000 km strapped to the front of the 640ADV, seen plenty of dust, rain and everything else you could imagine! I have not had a problem to date. It is mounted behind the wind shield so it has limited protection.

I wouldnt discount an otherwise fine GPS because of this.

Also, someone mentioned something about vibration and batteries. To stop power drop outs while running on batteries, I put a small dob of silicone or similar on the inside of the battery cover. Then put some vasaline on the batteries and of the close the back of the GPS. Wait for silicoone to dry and you should have a vibration proof unit.
  3. FuTAnT

FuTAnT KTM 990ADV

Oddometer:
    Can you just clarify that you are using the USB connector to power the unit while riding, or just batteries?

Cheers
  4. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doe anyone know what cable/plug they use for external power on the new 78 series and how substantial/waterproof/vibration proof it is likely to be?:ear

Thanks,

Adrian
  5. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    :deal thanks all great response will have too hunt around 4 a deal, plus mounting kit 4 950se.:clap
  6. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What software is that? I'm very close to getting an HTC Desire and putting Copilot on it, but still uncertain about a decent Topo map. Maverick looks to be a good Android offroad nav program - currently waiting on their support desk to see if it will handle Shonkymaps....
  7. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day HerrMnnn

That software is OZIEXPLORER CE ( http://www.oziexplorer.com ) it won't work on android software (htc desire) but i was told just recently they are going to make a version of oziexplorer for the iphone.. so maybe they might accomodate android systems soon. :dunno

Copilot - for road type GPS software has become pretty dam good for the price you pay for it $70 and you get all of OZ & NZ, at this stage they haven't got the speed camera data working for OZ yet, but i have sent them an email.
    The copilot sofware is better than the garmin software on my older c320 and yet to up-grade that crap, you have to buy a whole cd for $250 that only gives you limited upgrade opportunities of just OZ (a total shafting i think).

cheers
    Reg.
  8. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Hermann - will appreciate you posting results here - I am swaying towards HTC Desire also.

Regie - you are right - Garmin is WAY to expensive for what you get and too restrictive on use.
  9. BurnieM

BurnieM Nipple boy

Oddometer:
    Nope
    You can use the $99 update CD on a SP c320
    From July 09 (City Nav 2010) onward it has both Aus and NZ
  10. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF!!! :eek1 ....$99 for an update CD..... that's a rip off too :huh I can never understand why garmin think its ok to charge people to the hilt for data their GPS allready contains, there are not that many new roads been built in OZ to warrant charging $100 for :huh

You can buy copilot outright for $70.... garmin might wanna do better than that... and this why i gave up on garmin..... too greedy. IMO :D

Good to hear they are atleast adding NZ............................. FINALLY
  11. BurnieM

BurnieM Nipple boy

Oddometer:
    You can buy a Garmin lifetime map upgrade for $189
    Remember Garmin have to pay Sensis for each upgrade

At the moment you can buy a nuvi 1250 for $189 and Garmin are runnning a promotion until 30 Sep 10 where you send in your details and they give you a code for free lifetime updates.

Note: this promotion does NOT apply to the nuvi 255
  12. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it's good to see they are coming arround/getting fairer with their product. Thanks for updating me with their current pricing and please don't get me wrong Burnie, i used to be "all for" garmin but it was a while ago i got the shits with them, "more so" when i was paying good money for their software.... to tell me my house number was down the opposite end of the street and many other errors like this :huh this is when i thought stuff them.

I'm gunna stick with Co-pilot for now, as it's still cheaper and just as good... if not better. (for road going software anyway)

P.S. Just in addition in-case someone was interested, this latest co-poilot software i use for road going, allows you to drop a bread crumb trail... which i have'nt encounted on many road going GPS's (normally only seen on topo type GPS's/software)

cheers
    Reg.
  13. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have heard back from the guys who produce Maverick that it is possible to load Shonkymap data into it (amongst lots of other maps). It seems a bit difficult up front but once set up with the maps it looks like it might be good for tracks. http://www.codesector.com/maverick.php

From reading the help files Copilot will log track files and allow uploads of routes. I'm still waiting to hear back from Sygic as to if their mapping software will do this also (apparently Sygic uses Sensis maps which is reportedly better than Copilot's Navteq but that could just be a random forum rumour).

I need to wait until my current plan runs out next month then I'll get the phone and start playing with this software.

From what I can see it will have all the functionality of a Zumo (mapping, upload-able routes, track logging, offroad track functionality, trip computer, music player, bluetooth), plus allow extra apps to be added and customised, plus allow sending location data to Google Maps so my family can check where I am (if I'm in phone service), oh yeah and it can make phone calls.

All for the same I am now paying for a phone plan, plus $70 for the Copilot, instead of $700 or whatever for a Zumo.

I plan on sticking it in a Ram mount Aquabox so it is waterproof and protected from damage... another $100 or so.
  14. Oz-Strom

Oz-Strom Still trying

Oddometer:
  15. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    That "lifetime" is the lifetime of the GPS. The way they continually update them and phase them out - what could we realistically expect this to be Burnie?
  16. BurnieM

BurnieM Nipple boy

Oddometer:
    Probably 4-5 years
    but new features come out all the time and you may want to upgrade to get the new features

Map updates are now 4 times a year so the lifetime update does give you all the latest maps (probably still 2 years behind)
  17. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    I've never really looked properly at this "Shonky Maps" - the first word puts me off. How good/bad is it really? What annoys me about Google Earth is all the "mis-placed" data about hotels and tourist sites etc. on there placed by idiots. Is Shonky like this too with a bunch of tracks in the wrong place etc.?

Maybe should start a new thread for this....
  18. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    I find Shonky Maps better than Tracks 4 Australia.
  19. BurnieM

BurnieM Nipple boy

Oddometer:
    Shonky and T4A both use the Geoscience Australia 1:250k roads and tracks database.

Shonky also adds some POIs (mountain peaks etc) and contour lines
  20. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    shonky has uhf repeater poi's amounst many others ! t4a is a user contributed data base ! so is not as complete a shonky. shonky with dogahans 5mt contours overlaid is really hard to beat even by paid maps