all round,greatest gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kymbo, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Cummo

Cummo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried a few, the 60 CSX was the best as far as functionality but I found for the bike ( 530 Rally) and the tyype of riding we do, it just wasnt right.

The antenna on the 60 CSX fouls on the brake line ( you cant change the orientation on screen) and damages the antenna, the colour screen I found great at most times, but when I was a little sand blind I struggled to see the track.

Here we almost all use ( those who venture dep into the desert) the Garmin V. Its old, doesnt have much memory but its strong. The V last through all the harsh conditions, heat ( up to 50 Degrees Celcius), dust and constant bashing. The orientation ( that can be changed) is great, the B&W screen is visible at all the times and with the Touratch mount the antenna is will hidden away.

The really only limiting thing I have found on the V is the memory, when we do our big 2 or 3 day rides with many wayoints it wont hold them all and we need to do a little data entry on one night.

For a basic as you can get GPS that keeps mazon) its a great choice.
  2. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Bought one from anaconda just then.

Hope the missus doesn't find out.
  3. holmesie

holmesie I like stuff...

Oddometer:
    What's it worth for her NOT to find out :evil
  4. Not for Highway Use

Oddometer:
    I'll tell yours!!!

We never had this conversation. OK
  5. holmesie

holmesie I like stuff...

Oddometer:
    :hide
  6. GhettoEdition

GhettoEdition SHO

Oddometer:
    well I sort of have a couple (this is where the nerd comes out) I have 2 handhelds at work a gps 72 and Trimble juno along with a DGPS for accurate marking

I see u have the june.I want the Juno<SUP>&#8482;</SUP> SC handheld but need what kind of program ane maps to run to replcate a regular gps? didnt no how to quote 1st post
  7. Not for Highway Use

Oddometer:
    Got my "Anaconda" Garmin last night (Thanks Holmesie and Stu)

I already have a RAM handlebar mount for my Magellen so will order just the cradle.

Probably get one from GPSOZ in sydney.
  8. sboada

sboada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of the 478. Has served me well.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Long shot here, looking for longer-term owners of 60CSx.
    The on/off button on mine (and all my mates too!) has been difficult to operate from new by hand. I've taken to using a key to operate the switch, with predictble results.
    Now the rubber cover for the button has torn, and I'm looking for advice on how to repair it. And no, I'm absolutely NOT interested in returning it to "people-skills" Garmin for a refurb unit at $195. They are a joke.

:ear
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Bumpitty. Anyone?
  11. KeithDommirider

KeithDommirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean about the on/off button. It's a bastardo to turn on and off with your gloves on.

I had a visit into the scrub on my bike about a year ago , the GPS (60CS) when flyng , broke the mounting screw thingy etc.
    I replaced it with a big brass bolt and 3 nuts so it clips back on my cradle , silastic all over it and it's still going a year later.

I'd just cover the top of it near the button with silastic.
    (but I'm bodgy :eek1 )
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I have an idea to repair it from the inside with a little bit of rubber, a small plug if you will, but I'm just fishing around to see if others have addressed the same problem, as these units all seem to have a dodgy on/off button. Even with bare hands I couldn't get it to turn on/off from new. I shoulda got warranty right then, but I wanted to play with my new toy.......
  13. BurnieM

BurnieM Nipple boy

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about the button being very hard to turn on/off ?

My best guess is that this is the positioning of the switch rather than a problem with the switch internals. Have a look at the position when you have it apart
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Cheers Burnie. The problem has been from day one that I'd depress it manually as far as humanly possible and it still wouldn't operate, hence the use of objects to operate it.
    "People-skills" Garmin support were very blunt, and just kept saying I should have reported it under warranty, $195 dollars please. One one level I can see this is a fair call from them, on another level I'm feeling peeved as an honest customer that they wouldn't meet me halfway for something that has never been right from day one. The total lack of empathy was what finally pissed me right off. They obviously have zero customer skills.
  15. mtb_man

mtb_man Unfettered

Oddometer:
    Sad to hear that GodSilla, my recently bought 60CSx turns on and off with barely any finger pressure at all.

I reckon a rubber plug of some sort (just can't think what you could pinch it off) combined with checking the operation/location of the switch beneath it should go close to fixing it.
  16. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
  17. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just come accross these from Trailtech, i like the idea of speedo/ODO, gps map all combined into one unit built for bik'n. But i think it needs more improvement (early days i spose) map info may only be for USA at this stage and will be in program file format (won't work like oziexplorer) wpt and track log data maybe a bit low compared to what other units offer these days.... BUT!!! if they develop it more in time could be a good option.

http://trailtech.net/voyager.html

Cheers Reg.

Attached Files:

18. Rick001

Rick001 Never too old

Oddometer:
    Just got myself a Garmin Montana 650t. Once I work out how to use it, I think I might actually like it.:lol3

So far, I think it's a great unit. Mapping is pretty good. User interface is great. easy to download and set tracks.
    Best part - It's got BIG numbers.:clap
  19. Nataraj85

Nataraj85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need XM, the 665 is basically a 660 with XM capability for more money of course.
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I realize this nearly all of the thread is over a year old. I saw a lot of enthusiasm for the 60 csx. I have been using one for 3 or 4 years and generally like it.

My biggest complaint is that I cannot see the screen well enough to navigate if I am riding into the sun + or - ~45 degrees. Anyone else have this problem and maybe even better a solution. Maybe I don't screen brightness set high enough? I run mine from the bike power, so battery life is not an issue.