all-terrain FZ07 (like a strom but without the suzuki)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Pablogordo, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Pablogordo

Pablogordo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode it around the neighborhood some just now, ordered a custom Corbin for it also this morning, I can weld mediocre, but my upholstery skills are nil!

Attached Files:

redneckK20 and mcmann like this.
  2. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    Today I put some small loop-brackets in the bolt holes where the passenger pegs used to reside and mounted up my Great Basin 60L bag, fits great, like it was meant to go on there

Attached Files:

dtysdalx2 and merc16 like this.
  3. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    I welded myself a cat-back system for it today

Attached Files:

4. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    That's pretty bitchin. I like it.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  5. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    Made a license plate mount out of one of those axle-tags that have always seemed to gouge me in the ankle when I’ve tried to use one, and a case saver from a piece of 1/8” kydex

Attached Files:

merc16 likes this.
  6. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    I made some offset brackets to mount an FZ09 front fender with good clearance over the tire (1-1/4-1/2ish

Also, rather than buying and fitting a 180/55 TKC80, I spent a few hours fiddling with a Versys rear wheel (17x4.5) and have it fitted... reason being this Shinko E805 170-size is a rather narrow 170 (it’s more of a 160 in my opinion) and was very flattened out on the FZ 5.5” wide rear rim, and besides I thought it was a little silly that a 650cc 70ish HP bike had a super bike sized rear wheel anyways

Finally I also installed a Rekluse auto-clutch...what can I say, I love not stalling, not feathering the clutch, only drawback I have ever found both on my DRZ400 that has one and this one is it’s necessary to pull the now heavier clutch to find neutral at say a rather extended stoplight or traffic jam, exploring on old Jeep trails/mild singletrack, it’s just plain awesome

Attached Files:

tjzondrz likes this.
  7. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to add for anyone OCD on front to rear wheel alignment, there's more than a few threads out there on using strings or two bike length straight edges to make the wheel front to back aligned, and its super common on modern bikes with 180 sized rear tires (and even some older bikes) for the rear wheel centerline to be offset more to the brake side (bike will still track straight long as you've got the axles parallel to each other, BUT on swapping out **MY** stock rear 5.5" wide rear wheel for the 4.5"W, I ended up getting the rear wheel alot closer in plane with the front. Took me awhile to get it right, and I ended up spacing the rear rotor outboard, but it's all square now, the hangup now is that looking at the bike from the back, rear wheel looks like it needs shifted back over (out of plane)
    merc16 likes this.
  8. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    after MANY weeks of waiting, got my new custom corbin seat in (had them shave the pillion low as possible and build up the main seat some to not be locked into one position only. and while I still think its a bit ugly, first impressions of just sitting on it are VERY good, can hardly wait to take it out in a few days
  9. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    also, on the fr/rr wheel alignment, ended up just putting it back to where it was, as it looked like the frame/seat was bent/tweaked to one side since the frame was designed around the original rear wheel being actually offset to the front.
  10. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    I guess a bike isn't ever truly finished, but this one is now preeeeety close, thanks for reading, and looking forward to taking it camping in the coming weeks

Attached Files:

11. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us know how it runs and handle.

been debating doing this myself however time and mechanical knowledge is quite short changed here :p...
  12. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    Well, I've spent a few h0urs on it here and there, what can I say, it rides like a bike!! It's much better to ride at 75mph than it was stock, and handles mild offroad about as good as I can imagine a wee-Strom does, which is exactly what I was going for

Edited to add that the high speed improvement comes from the nice windbreak the fairing provides, and even tho I prefer the way a naked bike looks, thie fairing was a purely function over form decisiin
    mminob likes this.
  13. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had some fun doing all the mods and thinking outside the box on what you wanted to do... nice job :thumb

Wind protection is nice to have when munching some miles , less strain on your torso... quite a bit warmer too ...

Your custom Corbin seat looks way better than the standard one ... less of a bucket shape.. Ride safe brother !

yfz714g_3t.jpg
  14. Pablogordo

Oddometer:
    Thanks.and yes that was my main hangup on that Corbin all along, too much of a bucket, completely puzzles me why that would be the way they build almost all of them... I like having more than one seating position!