All the oil came out the bottom drain plug!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by TheLimeyID, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone added a tee and some clear hose to the petcock to use as a fuel gauge. Been thinking about doing that.
    TheLimeyID likes this.
  2. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    The thought of doing something like that has flitted through my mind.

For some reason I had in my head that you wouldn't be able to get clear fuel quality hose, but I just looked it up, and yes you can.

The big issue, for me, is then how would you cap the top of the hose? It has to let air in and out, for the fuel level to adjust, but I would be nervous about just leaving it open incase I ever had an accident; I wouldn't want fuel to be able to flow out as it laid on it's side. Is there a device that lets air pass, but not fuel?

...I just decided to take a look for such a device and found the solution is to run the hose back into the top of the tank. Obvious when you know!

I also found this little beauty: https://www.lskelectronics.com/fuelgaugeprouni

...I might put that to my christmas wish list. =D I miss the fuel gauge I had on my Katana. My MPG is so erratic depending on the route I take, that I'm either filling up close to running out, or way before I need to. Fingers crossed for Santa to come through on it! :ricky
    mountaincadre likes this.
  3. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    "The big issue, for me, is then how would you cap the top of the hose? "

A tee at the top front vent on that tank.
  4. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. I guess you then just run the hose down the edge of the tank so you can see it.

I'm going to investigate those hydrostatic ones a bit more. They look pretty slick, but I wonder how well they work. ...and if you can get (DIY) them cheaper.
  5. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    My hydraulic clutch oil has been "escaping", so I bought a used clutch slave cylinder, and put it on. Wooo!!!

Now I can't push hydraulic oil into the bleed valve!! Nooo!!!
    ...yes, it's open!!
    I tried with the clutch lever pulled in (although I don't recall having to do that before) but that didn't help.
    If I pump the clutch lever it squirts oil out of the bleed valve so I know the hose connection is there.

The problem surely has nothing to do with the new(er) slave cylinder, but I changed back to the original one anyway (except for the black spacer bit that goes behind it) and still no go.

WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING??!!?! :baldy
  6. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might have to vacuum or reverse bleed it. Seams others have had issues too.
    TheLimeyID likes this.
  7. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    It used to work! I was wondering if it's something to do with the master cylinder, and if so how to resolve it.

Do you mean sucking the fluid from the master cylinder down to the slave?

I have the line pretty much full right now (I think) by pumping it down. I'm hoping the rest of the air has been rising, and when I go out there later I can pump the clutch lever (with the top off the master reservoir) to release it and keep going like that until no more air, ...and the clutch works again. =S
  8. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I changed my bars a while back. All I did after reconnecting the master was with the cover off and full snap the clutch lever. Bubbles will come out(floating up into the open master) after a sec or two. After doing that a bit my clutch feels the same as before.
  9. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, I thought it seemed like it was really easy last time I did it, that's what makes this even more annoying. I apply good pressure to the syringe, but all it does then is force it out round the bleed nipple thread. I don't understand what's stopping it from going up to the master cylinder, ...other than the master cylinder. =(
  10. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have the adjusting knob backed out on the lever??
    TheLimeyID, nk14zp and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  11. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion! I tried it both in and out though, I forgot I'd done that. =)
  12. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  13. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    No. I've been busy with work and a kitchen remodel, and what with it having been 17F I didn't worry about it too much. It's only about freezing now, but I figure I'm done for the winter.

I hope to get it sorted out before it snows, and then I have the thermistors to attempt to fix the fuel gauge light. =)

...keep nagging me, I'll get it done =D
    nk14zp likes this.
  14. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't know exactly what was going on, but I figured some of it out.

I worked around the bleeding issue by pressing in the slave piston by hand and pumping the clutch lever and topping up the oil reservoir as need. It seems to work well. Still leaking though.

I tried the two different pistons I now had. Still leaking.

While trying to see if I could spot oil leaking around the piston I managed to break the outer rim (the lip the circlip fits under) off of the slave cylinder by over pressurizing it (I pumped the lever toooo many times).

I tried ordering a new seal for the piston. I used a link on the forum to a set of the rights ones, made from the right material. I got 50 for 6USD. They didn't fit. =(

I frigged about with the damned thing for a couple of hours. I tried pump the clutch (with it all put together) for a couple of minutes, and it looked good!! Still leaked.

I gave up and ordered a new Oberon replacement today. Fingers crossed this fixes it.

One problem I was having that is good to note is that if you aren't VERY careful you can end up with the stupid, fiddly little pin slightly out of alignment with the slot it goes into without realising it. Then the screws don't quite reach the holes and you think you stripped the thread!

There's snow on the ground, but the roads are clear and as long as it over freezing I'm good (with my fancy heated grips and lots of layers!!) ...unless I try to find some fun muddy backroads, those apparently are currently snow and slush. Run away!!! =)
  15. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    So another lesson learnt. Make sure the clutch slave backing plate is flush with the engine and the clutch slave it flush with the backing plate BEFORE using it. I guess when I didn't have the parts lined up properly the top screw wasn't in far enough and the few threads in the hole that the bolt was screwed into gave way under the force of the clutch being engaged, ...I could no longer screw the bolt up tight enough to hold the clutch slave. When I tried to use the clutch it pushed the top of the new clutch slave cylinder away from the engine!! :becca

I worked out (by poking a bit of wire into the bolt hole) that I had about 5mm (1/4 inch?) more hole than the bolt was able to reach. I popped down to the local hardware store and grabbed a longer bolt. A few washers to pad it out and now it's on there tight. :wings

Sadly, I can't test it out yet as the roads around my house are covered in well packed snow, which is almost as slick as ice. :fpalm
    It's supposed to rain all week though so hopefully it'll wash it away and I can get out to test it! ...I'm thinking warm!! :jkam