All the oil came out the bottom drain plug!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by TheLimeyID, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Good to know!

LOL, is some kind of n00b joke where I end up completely stripping down the bike? :hmmmmm

Hell, I have the tank off anyway, so why not? =) ...I already have a much greater understanding of many areas of my bike now than I have of any other vehicle I ever owned! After seeing the pictures of the oil pump, I had to go check out how exactly they work. I found a video explaining the basics of it. That's clever!

Thank-you =)
  2. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    ...umm, I can see in the manual where it explains how to remove the shift mechanism, and the in the servicing section it says to check the drum and ball bearings for wear, but I can't see anything specifically about pins; ...is it the "guide bolts"?

The manual unhelpfully just says to check things for wear, but not having new ones to compare against I'm unsure how I'll tell if things are "worn".
  3. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Ah! Yes, I recall seeing that as well now! Thank-you for the reminder! =)
  4. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    I just want to make sure I have definitely understood this correctly: the bulk of the oil is held in the oil tank only while the engine is running. When the engine is off the oil can collect in the sump.

Sorry, if I'm being slow on the uptake on this.
  5. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thread I found. Read post 2.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/transmission-inspection-procedure.1032863/#post-25790120
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trying to remember if I ever drained the oil out of a cold LC8.

Quite sure I have but can't remember all oil coming out of the engine.

Know I was surprised when draining oil out of the XR400 after an engine failure and all oil was down in engine (has oil tank also) but came to conclusion that it does not have a check valve like the LC8 so that explained oil creeping down into engine case over time.

/Johan
  7. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    roookie1 and nk14zp like this.
  8. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. The idea of the check valve is when the engine is cold the crank is not completely submerged in oil. The oil pump draws oil from the tank, filtered it circulates around the engine, then the scavenge pump draws oil from (sump) bottom of engine back to oil tank.
    TheLimeyID likes this.
  9. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Corect. I checked mine when I did the WP. Didn't realize it was visible looking in the filter hole.
    TheLimeyID likes this.
  10. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, the engine had been run for a few minutes and was pretty warm when I drained it and all the oil came out of the bottom plug. However, the bottom screen was somewhat re-clogged up with further aluminium shavings, so it may be that the pump just couldn't suck the oil back up fast enough. I guess I need to just put her back together and run her again for a few minutes and see where the oil ends up. ...I'm procrastinating because I'm worried about damaging the engine, hoping someone has a magic answer. =)
  11. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank-you! It's fantastic how patient everyone is =)

...I should stop calling both pumps the oil pump! Scavenge pump and oil pump (or pressure pump?)
  12. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you still have a KTM, or just the KLR?
  13. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would for sure install or attach an oil pressure gauge.

Dummy light is not good enough to tell if oil pressure is good enough.

As someone said to me in a modern car if it gets oil pressure warning while running its to late.

On the bike you are down to like 2psi 0,2 bar when light comes on.

Until someone adds another tire or oil thread, patience for those is short these days.

When someone has actual problems things are civilized.

/Johan
    nk14zp and TheLimeyID like this.
  14. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank-you. I was just trying to put together a shopping list of all the things that have been suggested and I didn't have that one on my list!

LOL, I have heard rumors of the intense disagreements that can arise over those subjects. An oil type was recommended earlier, and I was worried it would cause the thread to go off topic into an oil "discussion". =)
  15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. There are two pumps, the main pump sucks oil from the rez and delivers it slowly at high pressure to the engine. The scavenge pump sucks it out of the engine drain area and delivers it rapidly at low pressure to the tank. In normal conditions, these see-saw oil back and forth between the two locations. It only stabilizes with the rez full after 20 minutes or so for you to check it accurately.

Good thing you stopped when you did.
    lithodave likes this.
  16. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The klr sits since I got the 950.
  17. 88gs

88gs Lc4nicator

Oddometer:
    As stated earlier, alumni’s soft. I wouldn’t worry to much about the aluminum shavings damaging your motor. As long as the pumps are working and the check valve is unclogged. Just keep flushing the oil until it’s clean and you should be fine.
  18. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:

You're experiencing the "might as well while you're in there..." affect. Like with most complex machines.........a lot of that stuff is a PITA to get to. When you're in there fixing something else, it just makes sense to take care of as many preventative/eventual fixes as you can.

Like replacing a clutch in an automobile/truck. While you have the trans and such out, you might as well replace the rear main seal, trans input shaft seal, and pilot bearing. Also might as well check any freeze plugs back there...........and any hoses that are between the engine and the firewall, and.........

If your luck is anything like mine (Murphy and I are old pals....) and you just fix the current problem.......then the water pump seal or one of the other 'might as wells' will inevitably fail and require to take the damn thing back apart again....
  19. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Ah!! ...hence you said to run it for 20 mins after adding the initial 2.5L to the oil tank, before topping it up. ...that advice makes a lot more sense now. =)
  20. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Understandable. Nice to have a backup bike for when the 950 is off the road for maintenance/repairs though, even if it is a KLR. =)