All the oil came out the bottom drain plug!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by TheLimeyID, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the ones. One of those came right out, 3 others were loose. =S

Well, I guess the one I have will have to do. Seems odd you cannot buy one on it's own, but you can buy the bolt that goes into it. =)
  2. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should be quite a few collecting dust in garages across the globe. Many have replaced the booster.

Pulled mine out when going rekluse but since sold the left over parts to a guy that had a bolt come undone.

/Johan
  3. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh, I suppose. I hadn't thought of that. :doh

I'll take a poke around and see what I can find. =)
  4. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just read back a few and you will find a thread about destroyed clutch. Post in that thread then others that changed their booster might chime in if they still have the part you need.
  5. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Aha! Thanks @nk14zp!

PS. I hope you're Ok with me quoting you in my signature. It still makes me smile everytime I read it. =D
  6. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL sure. The one in my sig puts a smile on my face.
  7. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, I appreciated yours as well =)
    nk14zp likes this.
  8. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a box of clutch parts somewhere, I'm happy to dig out the bit you need. It'll take me a few days to find it and I'm in the UK so delivery might take a while. But let me know if you have no luck closer to home.
    TheLimeyID and nk14zp like this.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you just need those bolt thingys that screw into the booster? If so, i just ordered a new booster assembly from RMATV yesterday. The new part should arrive tomorrow to me. You can have my old one if you want. I'm located near Portland, Oregon...which is only one state away from you.
    TheLimeyID, zimtim and nk14zp like this.
  10. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank-you for the offer! =D

With you being considerably closer than Blighty I will take you up on your offer over @uk_mouse (thank you again though). I'll PM my address to you and you can let me know how to get payment for postage etc to you. THANK YOU!! This forum is the best! =D
    nk14zp likes this.
  11. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    So here's a stupid thing I just did (related to this thread).

I'm riding back from another client a few a hours ago, still way paranoid about my engine trying to kill itself, so every bump and noise has me freaking out. As I'm passing a gas station about 10-15 minutes north of here the bike falters slightly a couple of times. I pull over and listen, rev it a bit, everything seems fine. On I go. Very soon more faltering, the engine is surely foobar'd and is going to cost me a lot fo fix. SH!T!!! The engine stops, I coast to a suitable area to pull off the road. Crap. OK, maybe it's but the screen blocked up again. Lay the bike down, pull the screen. Nothing! Not a single piece of metal. Well, that's good, but doesn't solve my issue. I stand the bike up and try starting it again. It wants to start, but keeps dying. I turn the ignition off and back on. ...hang on. Why does the gas pump sound louder than normal?! Oh! That's right! I only half filled up with gas last stop because I thought I would be taking off the tank to check the screens again soon. DOH!!!

While walking back toward the gas station I passed a little ways back, a truck with a big enclosed Harley Davidson trailer pulls over and the guy asks if I ran out of gas. I confirmed and asked for a ride to the gas station, he said his trailer was empty and he'd turn around and pick up the bike and drive us both there!! :eek2

Turns out he is a prospect for a local Hells Angels group, 22 months in. I don't know that I've ever even spoken to a member before, and now I've been saved by one. I did feel a bit silly about having offered him a deal on my 93 Suzuki Katana when I found out. =)

So I now have a "Red and White Supporter" sticker on my panier, and was instructed that if anyone told me to take it of I should tell them to "Go f**k themselves!". Log Dog I believe he said his name was, ...after telling me my name was terrible (that being Colin, pronounced as if was spelt Collin). I agree with him though, it isn't a great name. So thanks again Log Dog. =D

...and I learned that as well as Harley Davidsons the Hells Angels now accept Victory and BMW bikes. BMW?? Apparently the US ones are made here. Who knew??? I must admit, an image of a Hells Angels group riding along with a couple of guys on fully farkled GS's bringing up the rear did flash through my mind. Made me smile, but I assume that's not a style of bike they accept.
    zimtim and nk14zp like this.
  12. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Something is still not right! :pep

If i ride slow and steady (keeping revs between 3-4 maybe 5k) then she's ok, but if I open her up she "knocks", especially from low rev. It did that a bit before the clutch bolt incident, but only when I was too low in the revs and a too aggressive on the clutch/gas (I think that's normal, but I was still getting used to the bike). She's always had a pronounced whir/whistle from the engine (kind of like a Honda VFR) but now it's a little louder, and gets very noticable if I push her for a bit. It might go away after a lot of "steady" riding, I'm not sure, but definitely after just stopping for a while.

I put the bike on the sidestand and pulled the outer clutch cover off before I drained the oil (ready for the Castrol 10W50), and there was evidence of oil in there but not enough that any flowed out though, which I think is correct. I haven't opened up the side of the engine any further yet because I hadn't received the new parts, but I think I will go ahead do that ASAP anyway. I also ordered a new oil check valve so I will know that's not a problem.

I think the screen getting blocked with metal shavings prevented the suction pump from returning the oil to the tank quickly enough, and it a) built up oil in the sump, and b) possibly didn't get enough in the tank for the pressure pump to keep the engine lubricated. Any ideas what damage might have been caused if I'm correct about that, considering my above symptoms as well?? :(
  13. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    ...I spoke to my dad (I should have done that ages ago) and he said the bearings on the "big end" are most likely to have been damaged by an oil shortage, followed by the crankshaft bearings. It looks like I'll be taking apart my engine. :becca
  14. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the price just replacing all gaskets even if nothing is damaged a used engine might be justified.

And alot quicker to replace then pulling one apart.

/Johan
  15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a few things.
    - you are paranoid now, ride with good ear plugs this bike makes noises.
    - The big end bearings are plain type and very, very strong. That will be the last thing to wear.
    - The gear drive to the cams makes a (IMO) delightful gear noise, kind of like a blower on a hot car.
    - The 'knocking' you hear is probably the chain slapping on the swingarm, often confused with engine knock. I've only heard true engine knock from these motors once and it is LOUD. Maybe tighten your chain slightly.
    - The clutch booster makes some rattles, esp. when idling. Pull the clutch lever and it will change.
    - The cam chain tensioners will make noise when the oil pressure/flow drops, even before the oil light. If they are quiet at idle, you have enough oil.
    - If you want to worry about damage, the first thing to get ruined is the plain bearings for the cams in the head.
    - Sounds like time for the good oil and a long ride.
    Whodatschrome and Boatman like this.
  16. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could it be a lean knock you hear? I all but have a panic attack in the first 20ft of riding without earplugs.
  17. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    It might be cheaper, but it would an engine of unknown quality, it might have as many or more issues than the one I have. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that! =)
  18. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. I haven't changed anything with regards to settings of the engine, and it wasn't doing it like this before this debacle, but it's possible. =S
  19. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    I am very paranoid, and I have been constantly reminding myself of it. I was coming to grips with it all being in my head, and started pushing the bike a bit more; but it is definitely making noises it wasn't making before, ones that don't sound good. =(
    Well that's good =)
    Hmm, I can't picture that noise, but I will try to identify it.
    That's possible, I have fallen for that before! I think it could benefit from being tightened.
    I did try pulling the clutch in and it didn't change the noise.
    No, once the noise got louder it kept being loud regardless of the revs. =(
    Well that would be much easier to get to than the camshaft and big ends.
    Well I wish I would have checked the forum for replies earlier today. ...I got all excited and now have the engine all but removed from the bike. =S I might as well at least check the cams in the heads now. =S

...and I feel I should mention that I have found the official KTM Repair Manual to be pretty good so far. =)

Attached Files:

nk14zp likes this.
  20. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well got your clutch booster bolts in the mail on Friday. So at least you can start with that.
    TheLimeyID, DirtyADV and nk14zp like this.