All the oil came out the bottom drain plug!!

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by TheLimeyID, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    That is pretty sweet. It never occured to me to search for a clutch holder tool. I just searched for the official part number, and found $30+ prices! :doh

...maybe I'll order one of those for putting it back together (I'm assuming I'll need something), but my super tool worked great for getting the nut off. ...I had to strap the end down to the table, and use a 4' length of scaffold pipe on the socket handle, but I got it! :happay

Breakfast now! =)
    DirtyADV and mountaincadre like this.
  2. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job limey,
    TheLimeyID likes this.
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Compared to working on logging machines these are toys. And they need little tools.
    Boatman and TheLimeyID like this.
  4. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have brought in the excavator at times removing bolts. You know it was on there well when there are sparks flying when things come undone.

And had to go with a long pipe on the already big torque wrench when you need over 1000 Nm on some of the bolts.

And here is a way to lock engine when on bench:

https://flic.kr/p/fZTGmk

And Euro cents are stronger then pennies if putting a coin between sprockets:

https://flic.kr/p/k5jMWF

/Johan
  5. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank-you. It would have been pretty scary putting that much pressure on there without all the feedback I received; so thank-you all.
  6. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, 1000Nm??

I was confused which way up that engine was. I couldn't see the heads, or where they would go. ... then I noticed it was a Honda, not an LC8. :hmmmmm

Unfortunately Euros are hard to come by here :2cry
    DirtyADV likes this.
  7. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bad was only 900 Nm =) at least its toys compared to the machines at work, they removed a hydraulic cylinder to be repacked and it weights 8 metric tones (probably like a billion pounds ...no not that much only 17636 lbs).

Luckily I avoided getting involved in removing that and it was sent to a mechanic workshop for the job.

No Euros in Sweden either, just some monopoly money that lately have dropped alot in value =(

And no suitable copper coins anymore either they were discontinued some years ago but have some suitable coins in the garage when need is, luckily not that often =)

/Johan
    TheLimeyID and nk14zp like this.
  8. KPuusepp

KPuusepp It's a f***ing 950 adventure...

Oddometer:
    Or use sucky sucky showy showy tool and block the holes. I broke my nipples and had to punch in an hex key to get it loose. Then regular copper washer and block off bolt.

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/...n-carbscarburettors-airflow-metersynchronizer

Have balanced quite lots carbs with this tool. Double checked also with regular tube method and same.
  9. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    What is the sucky sucky showy showy tool??

OK, OK, I won't touch my vacuum ports!! =D

Looks nice, but I'll stick with my good old homemade mason jar one for now 20190803_083957.jpg . ...saving as much money for engine parts as I can right now. but thank-you for the suggestion! =)
  10. KPuusepp

KPuusepp It's a f***ing 950 adventure...

Oddometer:
    Its the same thing I posted

upload_2019-8-9_8-50-17.png
  11. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh, I see! Sorry, slow on the uptake there. =D
  12. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    That mason jar thingy is 10 times more fancy than my tubing taped to a stick.
    Boatman likes this.
  13. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, I went all out on it!! :D
    DirtyADV likes this.
  14. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one thinking moonshine seeing them?

/Johan
    nk14zp and TheLimeyID like this.
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinkin hookah or bong.
    DirtyADV likes this.
  16. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    I just checked my valve clearances...

Three of the intake valves are less than .102mm (my thinnest gauge won't go in at all), the other is about .127, so just about enough.
    Of the exhausts, one is only about 0.180mm, and the others seem to be spot on.

It seems odd that they are too tight, I thought they wore down and the gaps got bigger!? :jjen
  17. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The valves are moving up in the seats. Normal for the lc8
  18. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh, ok. Yet more that I've learned! Thanks! =)

...I just change the shims to get the correct clearance, and that's it?
  19. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    I realised I wasn't thinking when I ordered the new water pump "seal", I only bought a gasket! I just ordered part number 0760123073, which is number 10 on this page. I hope that's the right thing.

I also ordered the iridium CR8EIX plugs as mine looked a little on the crusty side. I'm assuming they're somewhat older, as they have the double metal hooks on the end, over the pointy bit, whereas I can only find ones with a single hook available now.

I figured a new air filter wouldn't hurt either while we're at it, it was looking a bit grungy.

I got the hoses for the airbox so I can vent the carbs properly, close off two of the vacuum ports, and run hose from the other two. ...oddly I have three small ports, and one bigger one, not two and two.

Thanks to someone for suggesting getting a 16mm socket and grinding it down to fit in the spark plug hole. I did that, then found I do have the KTM one in the toolkit. No idea how I managed to miss that before, so now I have one for the bike and one for the toolbox.

I've got a question regarding the toolkit sockets though. I only have the 6mm and 10mm sockets for the hex T-wrench. I was going to get an 8mm one, but I can't find one. When I search all I get is sockets with 8mm hex drives for square drive wrenches. Is there a term I don't know that I should be searching for, or could someone point me in the direction of some?

Another question, what is the advantage of the "ear clamps", over regular worm drive hose clamps? Is it just the possibility of the worm drive ones unscrewing from the vibrations, etc?

After looking at the lack of wear on the crankshaft bush in the clutch case (over Google Hangouts with my Dad, which is not easy), and with how slow this project is progressing, I'm contemplating just putting the engine back in the bike with all the problems discovered so far fixed and the upgrades done, crossing my fingers and seeing how it goes. I'm missing my riding!! :ricky
    mountaincadre likes this.
  20. TheLimeyID

TheLimeyID Off road n00b

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm, I need the 10mm shims for a 2006 950?
    I've read many people mention buying the Hot Cams shim kit, is that brand better? ...there appear to be other options, such as Moose Racing?