All The Way West - RTW on a DRZ 400

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by daveg, May 17, 2010.

1. John RTW

John RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Phew, Cambodia, now that was a while back, I'll have to do a little catching up on the blog now.:eek1

Hope all's well on the sunny roads of Europe,

John
  2. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm trying to get caught up.... I have 2 more posts ready and queued up on the blog and will post 'em over here soon enough.
  3. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    As you can see, I'm getting lazier, but just trying to get caught up. Less text, more pictures.
    <dl id="attachment_577" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Unfortunately, these signs for Unexploded Ordinance are pretty typical for the Laos countryside. The US dropped more than 2 million tons of bombs on Laos.</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_575" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">As things got more remote, it was only VillageLife out there</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_564" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">The walls are made out of bamboo and on piers and beams made out of hardwood</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_566" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">More village life</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_565" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Things were pretty dusty in Laos!!</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_563" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Driving through Landslides caused by construction</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_562" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 407px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">I'm somehow able to get the bike through without falling</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_576" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Driving up the newly surfaced dirt road in Eastern Laos</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_573" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Whenever we'd stop in a village, people would gather around to see what these two huge motos were doing in their town. Always friendly faces</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_574" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">The best all weather dirt road I've ever been on</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_572" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">The good road ended and it was switchbacks of sand. This was a section of road that was actively being recut. Unfortunately it wasn't ready when we got there. We stood there and wandered how we were going to get across.</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_571" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">The machine operator noticed us standing there looking confused and changed the grade a bit so it was not as steep so we could ride our bikes up it.</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_570" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">I'm pretty happy to be out of the mess.</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_559" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 460px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">After riding for 12 hours on dirt roads, Happy Dirt Dave arrives</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_560" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Little bike, little ferry</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_561" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">More ferry action</dd></dl>
    <dl id="attachment_568" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt></dl> <dl id="attachment_569" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 610px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Big Bike, Little Ferry</dd></dl>
  4. Ed~

Ed~ What, Me Worry?

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,
    A smile like yours will open lots of doors.
    People (and that includes Border Guards) recognize and share genuine humanity with a smile.

Failing that, Papa Hemingway felt a few Paseta's to grease the humanity never hurt. Just make sure the amount is on your terms so as not to feel robbed.

One's own dignity and Poderio is never to be bargained.

But neither are pennies worth stretching one's patience.
  5. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Smiling / friendliness is key. I always think about the office quote: "Dwight:I never smile if I can help it. Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life."

I guess I'm the chimpanzee... but :freaky I'm just not looking for trouble :lol3
  6. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
  7. lukeman

lukeman Cool Hand

Oddometer:
    Where are you dave?
  8. DavidXT

DavidXT Adventurer

Oddometer:

+1 keep checking his website too and theres been nothing for ages, hope nothing bad has happened
  9. sturmgewehr

sturmgewehr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's one comment from him on Sept 13, 2011. It's a comment to his last blog entry so I suspect he's just busy but doing fine.
  10. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Hi:D

Yeah, I'm here.. back in the USA actually just outside of Kansas City, MO (Belton). I had to return to the USA for a bit to resolve some visa issues and take the opportunity to work a bit and make some more money.

The current plan is to go back to SE Asia for a couple of months. I'm co-organizing a charity ride in Cambodia: http://www.rideforcambodia.com/

The short summary is that we're buying scooters in the south of Cambodia and are going to cross the entire country in 2 weeks. It'll be epic!

We still have a couple of spaces open for this first year, but next year it'll be open for everyone. This first year we're just trying to figure out how things work and how practical our "plan" actually is. This year it'll be all experienced riders/travelers who won't complain when things go pear shaped.

I'd like to finish up the RR as I went from Laos to Cambodia.. then shipped to Europe and rode around there for 3 months. I met tons of great people there and visited with old friends from previous trips. The problem is that I was having so much fun that it was difficult to make the time to update the RR/blog.

After The Ride for Cambodia, I'm going to return to Spain (basque country, near bilbao) where my DRZ is parked and resume the ride. From there I'll eventually head all the way east until the road runs out in Magadan. Along the way I'll visit Turkey, Azerbijan, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Khazakstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, and miles and miles of Russia.

I'm spending my time studying Russian and trying to pick up any IT or programming work I can in the Kansas City area or can do remotely.
  11. romafras

romafras world traveler

Oddometer:
    Hello Dave,
    I just came back from many countries you are planning on visiting. Details on my trip to Mongolia on www.mototravellers.com
    Also, Is there anymore room for your " ride for cambodia " ????
    Cheers
  12. Tom-Traveller

Tom-Traveller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Switzerland, near the border to the BlackForest

Hi Dave

good to read about your plans :evil

I guess, your are dropping by next year when going all the way east, right :D ? We have to make some more Asado, before you hit the jungle far east :lol3

Here .... everything is fine, the BBQ season is pretty done and we are preparing for winter .... :eek1
    Fondue, Raclette, Gluehwein (hot, spicy wine) and Bratwurst is the deal :wink:

Check out our trip to south France in September at http://miles-to-ride.com/photos/southfrance , a 2 week trip with perfect weather in an amazing area, so to say ... one of my favourite destinations for riding :rofl

Keep in mind, our plans for next year are:

2 weeks trip Sicily in June 01. - 14. (taking the ferry from Genova)

1 week with my daughter in August (riding the eastern part of Germany, she got her own bike now)

2 weeks trip SouthFrance again in September 08. - 24.

Of course you can join us (but camping :clap), any other time we are at home and you are more than welcome :freaky:D:evil:rofl:clap:wink::lol3

Take care our friend and enjoy cambodia
    Thomas & Andrea
  13. sturmgewehr

sturmgewehr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave,

Been following your trip all along, cool to find out you are staying here locally for a while. I live over in Olathe, I'd love to have you over sometime for some steaks and beer, talk motorcycles and hear about the trip! Also, not sure if its your thing or not but the local motorcycle club (HOAME) would probably love to hear you speak for a few minutes at one of the monthly meetings.

John