All Things Bonneville

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    They sure do... In 2013 I bought a new Vespa 300 in in Los Vegas, rode to L. A., then San Diego for the 1st service, then up the coast to Santa Cruz, to Yosemite, to Mesa Az. to visit a friend, to Austin, then home to Florida 28 days latter and with about 5K miles on the odo.
    It's about the journey not about the destination, not about the tool.

Paul
    davyjones and MiniBike like this.
  2. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    and that would be the other fork in the road: a GTS 300 Tour. I've owned a GT200 since 2007 (the longest I've ever owned a bike) and have toured on everything from 50cc mopeds to Dreadnought class adventure, sport touring, and Cruisers- loved them all. Most of my touring tho in the last 10 or so years has been of the 'jump on the super slab, jet out a few thousand miles to someplace interesting & wander' variety but I'm thinking of changing that up. A smaller bike might be nice, just how small I'm not sure. My V7 could do it (5.5 gallon, shaft) but a few more ponies might help, as would cruise. Since Guzzi doesn't seem to want to make a larger standard and the T120 has ponies + cruise + heated grips its coming back into focus. Besides, it's been a while since I've owned a Bonnie & I still have that way-cool tank emblem bottle opener on my tool cart...
    0B46BFBA-A64B-495B-9B65-1C1BD7D6C37D.jpeg
    It maybe needs a proper brit-bike to keep it company....
    davyjones, alpina, Rick G and 2 others like this.
  3. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luv bottle opener. :thumb

Later this week..... out with the '17 Guzzi v7 Special in with a '20 Bonneville T120 Diamond Edition. Diamond delivery(free!) was delayed 2 weeks while the dealer sourced and installed the cruise control kit. The dealer advertised the bike for $10,350.00 ...... and were true to their word. Their fees are in line or perhaps a bit lower then other dealers. They have another T120 Diamond at the same price. The cruise Control was my deal closer, and they bought in. I always have a closer in my pocket and it works almost every time.

Paul
    davyjones and HapHazard like this.
  4. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought cruise was stock on T120's, it's an option? Cruise, center-stand, heated grips, optional on the T100's, stock on the 120's right?

PS: my V isn't going anywhere, 'way too pretty to part with
    9AD1C41A-0CF6-4D44-9B47-75E25EFFD1EE.jpeg
  5. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a nice piece of eye candy. :nod

Initially I thought the same but that's not the case. Heated grips and center stand are standard on the T120, cruise control is not. The C. C. kit is about $400.00, installation time is 2.5 hours. The dealer must activate it using the Triumph service tool.

C. C. is NOT available as an option on T100's.

My V7 is leaving the garage because it doesn't get used, just sits there collecting dust while I ride the others, H-D Heritage Softtail, Vespa 300, Street Twin. Sometimes we love the blonde gal we're with until we steal a kiss from that green eyed redhead. It's then that we realize it's time to move on so I say bye bye V7 hello T120. :getiton

Paul
    davyjones likes this.
  6. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'damn, well at least it's built to take it. I'm always surprised by the number of obviously long-distance bikes (ST1300, F6B, etc) that lack that, 'was sort of surprised to see it on the T120's. If it's an option, it would have to be a given on any bike I'd buy. And, with my V, if I ever stop riding it it would begin its new role as sculpture. It's a 2-beers-in-the-garage-&-stare sort of bike for me. 'Unlikely to ever have that Vincent or even a primo-Commander but my Anniversario helps to ease that loss...
    MiniBike and Roadscum like this.
  7. tennmoto

tennmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous!
  8. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think CC is standard on the Speedmaster and Bobber Black, strangely enough.
  9. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'strange indeed that the Speedmaster with the 3.2 gallon tank has cruise while the T120 with the larger (relatively speaking) 3.8 gallon tank does not. In my sorted past I worked with a lot of product development groups in assorted categories. My impression was that's where large corporations tended to park the people they were not sure what to do with. Decisions like that suggest the door may have been the better alternative.
  10. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Likely a calculated marketing move knowing that a T120 is more touring oriented then the others and T120 owners looking to tour will pay the $$$ for c c. Also it keeps the MSRP at a lower point. Am I giving Triumph much credit here? :lol3

Paul
  11. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'never worked with them professionally but as a consumer they've made some odd choices over the years, the hidden allen heads under the seat on the air cooled bikes comes to mind. As I recall the tail light assembly also blocked straight access to them necessitating a long, ball-end hex key to get the seat off. I can only assume the genius behind that one moved on to the cruise question.
    ebolton likes this.
  12. ebolton

ebolton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are right on all counts. You can get extended bolts, but they are expensive, interfere with the back of the seat going in, and then the regular allen key gets interference from the taillight. What I did is make my own extended bolts with some long (80mm I think) M6 screws and flange nuts. And I carry a 1/4 ratchet and a 5mm allen bit in 1/4 drive to use on them. That seat design is stupid. The only way they could have made it worse is if they used Phillips screws there instead of socket head.
  13. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '09 Scramble had those funky seat bolt. I thought they looked kinda nice back there.

Honestly guys $20.00 - $25.00 for a pair of extended seat bolts, a convenience item, is soooo small a faction of the bikes MSRP most folks just brush it off. It's a small cost compared to all the non-functional useless bits most folks hang, stick, bolt... onto their bike.

I heard it said .... 'the cheapest thing on a motorcycle if offen the nut on the seat'. :lol3

Paul
    davyjones, DeepBarney and Rick G like this.
  14. ebolton

ebolton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, if you have that attitude I've got ONE of the commercial pair I bought for ~$25 I'll sell you for a mere $17. You see, they fall out... If you go with the commercial extended bolts and you actually ride the bike, you will go through multiple pairs in a season, one bolt at a time....
    PsySV1000s and jwaller like this.
  15. SStiffler

SStiffler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made my own with a couple Allen head bolts, flange washer, lock washer and shrink tube. Put an Allen wrench in each of my jackets. 20200519_183813.jpg
    davyjones, koh kood, ebolton and 2 others like this.
  16. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    After 4 years and almost 40K mile on the Scramble I lost ZERO. For the first few months I give them an occasional twist to tighten the them. Then I wised up and put a lock washer on them. This ain't rocket science folks. :lol3

Paul
    PJay and Blackshirt like this.
  17. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    I've got some I bought that are bigger and knurled at the end so I could take them off and on by hand. Hand tight with lots of rough ass dirt roads over 30k miles and ain't lost one yet. Can't say I'm worried about it. While I do like a latch release seat, two fool proof bolts is hardly much to complain about. Though triumph making access so fiddly is. Should've had long thumb screws from the start.
    Roadscum likes this.
  18. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost a couple of Allen Head bolts. Then I blue locktighted them.
    Roadscum likes this.
  19. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have some of the knurled/extended seat bolts with wave washers to keep them from backing out. The wave washers are easier on the seat base.
    Roadscum and DeepBarney like this.
  20. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    there are indeed workarounds (mine was a specialized t-wrench) but it's just an example of the type of thing that never should have happen to begin with. It's been awhile since i've paid much attention to the water cooled line but I believe they corrected that little problem too, at least on the T120, keyed release. To me that's important as I tend to keep insurance and registration papers under the seat. On the 865 I resorted to side cover storage for that reason.