All Things Bonneville

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Most of the wheels converted to tubeless probably don't. My 2018 T120 has one on the rear but not the front. I still feel safer with a slowly deflating tubeless setup than a rapidly deflating punctured tube. Not everyone is going to feel the same way. That's okay.
  2. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bonnie spoke wheels have safety beads. At least the rear does, I haven't seen the front yet. Converted the rear to tubeless this weekend. Super easy and quick. The amount of time it takes is several wipes with brake cleaner and then a wrap of 4411 3m tape. This isn't my first conversion and it's always worked. I don't bother with goop or seal all or super glue or anything else in the spoke nipples like some do. completely unnecessary in my experience. Clean and wrap with tape. burnish. Enjoy not having to fuss with tube when putting tire back on.

Now a question...I neglected to lay out my wheel spacers in the order that they came out. There's a flat one and a top hat one. According to the exploded diagrams I found, the top hat is on the brake side and the flat is on the sprocket side and that's how I put it together but now I'm paranoid that I'm wrong. If anyone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.
  3. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    That is correct.
    ivantheterrible likes this.
  4. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    thanks!
  5. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure my 'top hat' is on the non-brake side. Only thing on the brake side is the speedo gear.

Your EFI might be different though. Mine is carbureted. Does yours even have a speedo cable on the wheel? I thought the EFI bonnies had a speedo that read from the gearbox?
  6. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Ivan was referencing the rear wheel.
  7. ivantheterrible

Oddometer:
    yes, rear wheel. thanks for looking out for me anyway.
  8. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Whoops, missed that! Disregard...
  9. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    After giving it some thought, I'm just going to revert to the way the bike has been for the last 2.5 years. Rear Renntec Rack and top case:

Bonnie tail rack and top case.jpg

Aesthetically, I don't like the LOOK of the top case, as I think it kind of spoils the "retro" vibe.

But it's so darn useful! I love having the space for gear. Here in CO it's not unusual to start the day all bundled up and then as the day warms, I start taking gear off to stay cool, and having the trunk gives me a place to put that gear.

I wish there was a better alternative to the top case but I can't think of one. I suppose I could just strap a nylon bag to the back seat (I don't ever ride with a pillion) but, again, the top case is just so simple and easy that I think it's got to stay.
  10. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    FWIW I'll likely be putting the Happy Trail side racks up for sale, if anyone's interested. I'd sell the side cases too but I think shipping wouldn't really be worth it (not like they were expensive, I don't think they were ever $40 each.)

If anyone in or near CO is interested in the side racks + cases, let me know. Otherwise I'll pull the side racks off and put them in a box for sale. Will also include the attaching "pucks" so the buyer can use them on his own cases. Should fit any air-cooled Bonnie (except Scrambler), 2001 - 2016 or so.
  11. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to agree. After riding with just a smallish tail pack for a couple of years, I just sprung for the Givi 40L Monokey. I want to use the bike for more than just joy rides. Need some storage space to do that effectively.

The universal mounting plate arrived first and fit nicely to factory luggage rack. Got the text that my box is out for delivery. Hope to have pictures tonight.

Rick G
    davyjones and Steve516 like this.
  12. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1749.jpg
    I have a Givi rack and Monokey plate on my Bonneville. Yeah, doesn't look sexy, but I don't try to look sexy on my daily commute to work. I'd rather have the convenience of clicking a button and carrying my stuff into the office with me. Plus, I've got an LED brake light strip on the back of the Givi mount plate for added visibility

I did replace the Givi hardware with all matching screws and the brake light is on a quick disconnect, so that if the mood strikes, I could use one tool to remove the six screws, unplug the light and have no rack in minutes, but the mood to keep it practical has been stronger. And if a hipster at Starbucks complains that I "ruined it", I just tell them to sod off.
    davyjones and Doug Just Doug like this.
  13. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My biggest beef with the appearance of boxes like that isn't just that they're bulbous, but they hang well off the back out in empty space. If there were more racks that put the box mount over the pillion seat I think it'd look better and I'd be happier. They do store stuff well though which would be the important bit.

Then it would appear connected to the bike rather than just being there. I feel the same about single sided swingarms as well, though some of that is more the Ducati Panigale rear end. That looks like a massive barrel chest with a tiny tail and a random wheel following behind. Kinda like an angler fish.
    davyjones and rixcafe like this.
  14. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    I agree - I picked up an E36 case, which won't hold a helmet, but is big enough for most of the stuff I carry to work. It looks more like a vintage suitcase than a bulbous motorcycle trunk and looks a little better on the bike. I have a V47 for longer trips but rarely have to use it.
    davyjones and Matt-J2 like this.
  15. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Givi top case was waiting for me when I got home today. Took it out of the box and as I had already installed the plate, it clicked right into place. Top Box's are so darn convenient and handy! It is actually a bit larger than expected, but I won't have any trouble utilizing the extra space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does my top box make my ass look big?

[​IMG]

Rick G
  16. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    For some reason, top cases always look bigger in photos. Here's my E36, which doesn't really look all that big on the bike, looks huge in pictures.

IMG_2068.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  17. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes, but that's ok. It's way better than your ass making your top box look small!
    HapHazard, Gone in 60 and Rick G like this.
  18. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have a Bonnie, but I've had top boxes on most of my bikes over the years. I always try to forego them for a while, and always end up putting them back on. Just can't be beat for commuting, touring, or when temps swing 30+ degrees in a day. I figure I can't see the box back there when I'm riding, so the cockpit view is always the same regardless. :^)
    davyjones and ZappBranigan like this.
  19. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    I think my biggest gripe with top boxes is that most of them have the same rounded, bulbous shape that looks completely incongruous with a retro-style motorcycle like the Bonnie.

On modern sport/sport touring bikes, they look fine. Here is the top case on my Honda 919/Hornet:

6-27 ride 02.jpg

If there were a little more squared off, were available in colors or had more of a retro styling I think they would look better. I'm envisioning something like the shape of a Harley tour pack but maybe 5/8 size.
    davyjones likes this.
  20. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    I'm tellin' ya, look at an E36 case. They're squared off, and cheap too (for Givi). about $160 new if you look around.