All Things Bonneville

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...this is sort of what I'm thinking of:

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOINBOX-Un...+top+case&qid=1626365509&s=automotive&sr=1-12

EDITED TO ADD: I think the tall, overly bulbous shape of so many of these top cases must come from the perceived desire to be able to put a full face helmet (or 2) in the case. That makes them unnecessarily high IMO. I don't think I've ever put a helmet in mine, I either put the helmet on the ground next to the bike (never had a helmet stolen or molested that way) or if I'm worried about someone taking the helmet, I'll carry it with me. The top case is for extra clothing, recovery gear, etc.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm... looks like a reasonable facsilmile of a Givi Monokey setup. One of the reasons I went with the E36 was, in addition to having a squared-off, non-bulbous look to it, it also doesn't have fake taillights. Since I was going for a vintage luggage look that compliments both my Bonneville and CB1100, I like that. I do also have a V40, which is practical, but like you say, Zapp, is tall, so it can fit a helmet. That's really convenient if I stop off at a shop or something on my commute, to be able to drop the helmet in the box and not worry about it, but I rarely do that. And, if I need more room, I've got the V47.

Actually thinking of selling my V40 at this point, now that I've got "vintage" with the E36, and "long-trip practical" with the V47.
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  3. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a relatively inexpensive on Amazon now. The ones with the smooth plastic exterior (as opposed to the "pebbled" rough exterior of the Givi-style cases) seem like they would be relatively easy to paint. I think having a trunk color-matched to the bike would go a long way towards making it look more integrated with the bike. I think this is more the shape I like too.

I could do without the passenger backrest and the chrome top rack but perhaps they could be removed?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mo...e+trunk&qid=1626366065&sr=8-3#customerReviews

For less than $90, I see no reason not to give it a shot.
  4. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if match painting it is a goal, then you'd probably want a smooth case. I've seen some forum posts here and there where people have gone to some pretty extensive lengths to sand and smooth a Givi case to match paint. Too much work for me. There's a thread somewhere around here that explored fitting the case-end attachments to a generic box to make it fit a Givi Monokey plate so that you can use any type of box. But, again for me, too much work, especially since I am now happy with the E36. Since I swap my boxes between bikes that are different colors, a black box works for me.
  5. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Steve516 likes this.
  6. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    Question for anyone who has owned the water-cooled T100 and sold it: why did you decide to get rid of the bike?

I'm looking for a simple, sweet-heart kind of bike to tool around on and I really like the newer Bonnies. Is it worth it to seek out the wc-t100 over the previous ac-model?

I'm not considering a t120 at the moment, since I still love my r ninet.
  7. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    I like both, although I prefer the water cooled T100 to the air cooled T100. From my perspective the OEM stock WC bike is better in almost every way than the AC version. That said, I suggest riding both, & you should be able to determine pretty quickly which version you prefer.
    optimum_malarky likes this.
  8. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I'm the opposite; I prefer the AC to the WC.
    The WC is better in almost every way. But...
    It's become too homogenized for me. It's a little too perfect and smooth. More Honda, less classic Triumph.
    If you lean toward Asian metric bikes, the WC will please you.
    If you lean toward classic British or Euro bikes, the AC may be more appealing.
    Also, I'd suggest you look at the RE INTerceptor 650.
  9. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Well...what would one expect from the owner of a...wait for it...RE Bullet...:D
  10. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I wear that critique as a badge of honor. :lol2
  11. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    More on top boxes....

Used my new Givi top box yesterday. I love it! So practical that it will allow me to take the Bonnie instead of one of my Beemers (with full luggage) or car. Up until I bought my 2011 Beemer Roadster which came with a top box, I was more of a hard saddlebag guy and luggage rack for strapping things on. Would ride virtually 100% with saddlebags attached. With the Roadster I started to enjoy the convenience of using top boxes for things you might need during a day ride or trip. I had been using just a small tail pack on my Bonnie, which was find for a tool kit, tire plug kit and pump and an extra layer and bottle of water. With the top box I can run to store, or pack my disc golf bag and head to the course.

Best thing with a top box is when you are riding, you don't know it is there, unlike saddlebags that you are always aware of.

I guess I am now a top box guy!! NTTIAWWT!

Rick G
  12. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the New World.
    Rick G likes this.
  13. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for progressive springs, a seat, or some other stuff for a T120, I have posted some for sale in the Flea Market. I traded off my T120 and don't need the parts sitting in my garage.
  14. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone thought I'd jump in I got an 865 T100 last year to compliment my 1967 Norton 650ss which is my daily rider.

Recently removed the summer screen on her as I was struggling with buffeting. What tail packs is everyone using on the official rear racks :)

Hoping to get some touring done on her soon up to Scotland.

15. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike! I don't think you can put a very big tail pack on that factory rack. Mine is a Renntec which is a little bigger. I had no problem putting a 45 liter top case on the Renntec.
  16. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try the Wolfman Peak tail bag (absolutely no affiliation, I use it for my air-cooled Triumph Scrambler) it fits perfectly the rack which is fitted on Triumph solo seat and rack, it might be the same size as yours.
  17. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys I'll check those out :) love those single seats on the Scrambler look super cool.
  18. Firestem4

Firestem4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright guys, I have a weird problem. I know very little about Triumph, modern or old, and I have been drooling over the two-tone 2021 Bonneville Speedmaster. My weird problem is I can't decide between the Yamaha Bolt and the Speedmaster. It's not a comparison between quality, performance, or price. I've been wanting a V-Twin for a long time again, and something easy to blast around town and the local area with. I essentially sold myself on the Bolt after renting one for a day and having a blast. But I keep thinking about the Speedmaster and that torquey engine really was a lot of fun.

I had a full day riding around on the Bolt and it's a lightweight, nimble bike bike with a fun amount of power. I have a problem-free Tenere and have been a Yamaha fan for a long time. Triumph's service intervals are a pretty amazing statement, and I don't see many complaints that show a glaring reliability issue.

If anyone could provide their thoughts. How expensive are the bikes to maintain? How easy are they to work on? (For anyone who does most of their own maintenance). How popular is the Speedmaster line and is there a chance it'd disappear in a few years if I decide to go with the Bolt now, satisfy my v-twin craving, and acquire a Speedmaster later?

And has anyone had trouble deciding between two vastly different choices like this? What did you decide and how did you feel with your decision? I can only get 1 bike a time and I don't buy them often.
    Thanks!
  19. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Bolt? That you are even considering that tells me that you need to think this through more thoroughly.

If you want a V twin, then get one...but for the love of God, not an effing Bolt. Yes, I have seat time on one...
    Rick G likes this.
  20. Firestem4

Firestem4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with the Bolt? I'm not trying to find out which is the better bike - clearly that's the triumph. The Bolt fits the bill for something I've been wanting for a while and would have bought one already if I didn't stumble onto the Speedmaster.

I'm asking how do you decide between Steak and a Burrito - and you really want both.