All Things Bonneville

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, Oct 27, 2014.

1. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    If you want a Sportster wannabe with weirdly located pegs, zip ties galore, wheezy motor (at least stock), clunky airbox, afterthought of a tail light, fugly wheel set, semi-hardtail rear, nearly illegible instrumentation, strange cradle frame, jumbled trim, & limited aftermarket, then I will neither try to talk you out of it, nor paw at the mental ball of yarn in your query.
    Rick G likes this.
  2. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find Bolt's placement of things are just all wrong...handle bar too far forward, pegs too far narrow and forward while your knee will ALWAYS hit the air filter.

heavy while gutless...that is my feel when I test rode it.
    Rick G likes this.
  3. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy the one that makes you hot. End of story. Don't try to "rationalize it" unless it is a commuter bike or a travel tool. If it is a fun bike, just get what you like.

In my experience, anything else gets sold off pretty quickly. And no internet opinions matter.
    Scoozi, Steve516, Rick G and 4 others like this.
  4. Firestem4

Firestem4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You make a good point. I've spent too much time debating between the two.
    kickstandsup likes this.
  5. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of used Bolts around at moderate prices. Bolts look like fun, I checked one out a while back but it wasn't quite what I was looking for right then (a sidecar tug).
    If you find a bike YOU like, ride it and don't worry about what I like or ride. I prefer buying used as most folks keep their bike for about two years and put less than 10k on the odometer.
    Scoozi and Steve516 like this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm coming here simply because there aren't many America's out there and this is an engine question. Bought a 2012 America last week. Nice bike, but the fuel injection seems very lean. What advice would you give to wake this engine up a bit? I've been to the Twin Power site but just don't know exactly what to get.

https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/
  7. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    For the Bonneville, Triumph has a new map for their TOR exhaust, dealer can do the reflash. Most likely the same for your bike.
  8. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    TTP offers their "kits" for use with specific components, so step one is to determine how far you want to go, get pipes intended to be used with their tunes, & then get the tune package. I suggest considering their "torque induction kit", paired with TORs.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I've searched high and low for the TOR's but every place I look says not only out of stock but not even available. Am I not looking hard enough?
  10. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motor is fine, ergos were fine, for me it was the lack of rear suspension travel that killed the fun. My back is a ruin, and the Bolt is pretty close to a hard tail. The cornering clearance is also abysmal stock, the bike needs a 1" lift in the rear and 1/2" lift in the front to be rideable IMO. And it's already a top-heavy bike.

I've got a lightly modded SCR950 for sale in NC, which is basically a Bolt with UJM ergonomics. $4500 for inmates.

Charles.
  11. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Good question...I bought mine used, from fleaBay, long ago.

If these are available new, then Hermy's (in Port Clinton, Pa) can get them...I suggest calling the parts counter. They will ship.

Hermy's has an extensive parts website; however, in the case of hard to source parts, nothing beats a conversation.

https://www.triumphestore.com/
    rd400racer likes this.
  12. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    A dealer should be able to tell you for sure. I bought mine quite a while ago; certainly possible Triumph has discontinued them and moved over to Arrows, which they also offered at the time.
    rd400racer likes this.
  13. Steve516

Steve516 Guzzis R Us

Oddometer:
    bonnie box.jpg
    That is the case I put on my '16 T100. It's just 32 liter, but holds my XXL Nolan and Shoei Neotec helmets perfectly. Also under $100, very rare for Givi.
    I had originally run the case on my RE Himalayan and was a bit concerned that it looked too ADVish for the Bonneville, but it has grown on me and fits fine.
    Not the best pic, but
    davyjones, Bors, Rick G and 1 other person like this.
  14. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Nothing, and CycleWorld thought it was a better bike than the 883 when the Bolt came out:
    https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/08/...tster-iron-883-urban-cruiser-comparison-test/

I think this comparo, like many others, is going to require a test ride if possible. Some people are going to gravitate toward the Bolt with its much more refined engine, better brakes, better suspension, and slight power and torque advantage, while others are going to prefer the "it's a Harley" rawness and cool factor only the Sportster will get you.

If you're looking at used examples, you can probably find a Bolt for 2/3 of what you'll pay for a comparable used 883. :dunno

Of course, you are comparing the Bolt to a Triumph Speedmaster, and this is a Bonneville thread. The Speedmaster is superior machine in every quantifiable sense compared to the Bolt, especially if you are looking at the water-cooled 1200, which is a beast of a bike.

But you HAVE to buy the bike you love, and this is the un-quantifiable stuff. In the end, it doesn't matter a rat's tit what any of us think -- if you've ridden the Bolt and you LOVE it, you should buy it. If you try to be rational about buying a motorcycle, and spend too much staring at spec sheets, you won't keep the bike for long. Buy the bike you love. I've made the mistake of buying motorcycles other people told me I should love. What the fuck sense does that make? They're not the ones riding it :lol3
  15. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    New top case arrived today. I ordered this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CBHXNR1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

It's basically cheap plastic, but at this price point that's what I was expecting.

I had hoped I'd be able to use it without the passenger backrest and top rack neither of which I need or want, and seeing as how it came with those components not attached, I should be able to use it without them just fine.

There are holes in the case where those mounted but I can fix that with some small bolts + rubber washers to keep the water out.

Set it on the Renntec to see how it would look:

New top case 1.jpg

New top case 2.jpg

Minor disappointment - I had hoped this would have come with a quick-detach plate like my Givi knock off did. Unfortunately, it doesn't, so the case will be bolted directly to the Renntec rear rack. Good news is that a quick test fit showed that it should bolt in just fine.

However, it's not any wider than the handlebars so it shouldn't be any more difficult to maneuver or park the bike

New top case 3.jpg

Current plan is to test-fit it to the bike, plug all the holes for the stuff I won't need and then paint it, probably try to mimic the bike's paint scheme, i.e. maroon bottom and silver top. Quick question: Should I "scuff up" the paint before painting or would spraying on a primer be sufficient?

Also I think it came with a rear LED light. Not sure whether I'll use that or not, I may just run reflector tape on the case. I'm not keen on cutting/splicing into factory wires.
  16. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Hope it works out for you!

I'd just leave it black to keep it low-key.
    If you paint it red & silver, it'll have moar red & silver on it than the tank.
    Unless you want to draw everyone's eye to the trunk...
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  17. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Good point. I think I'll leave it black.

It came with an LED light that is on a sort of "wing" that attaches to the back. I don't really like it though. I don't think the simple box needs any embellishment. I'll probably put some reflective tape on it for safety but I don't see the need for the LED.
    Steve516 and HapHazard like this.
  18. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    You could always wire it up as a simple running light, but I'm with you that a simple reflector of some sort is probably good enough and will be the least intrusive/visually detracting, aesthetically.
    HapHazard likes this.
  19. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    When I bought my BMW (R1150R, sold last year) it had black reflective tape on the cases. I thought that was really nice because in daylight you couldn't really even see it, but at night if a headlight shined on it, it would really light up. I found what I hope is something similar at Amazon and ordered a roll, that way I can put the reflective tape on the cases but it won't be visible during the day.
    HapHazard and DeepBarney like this.
  20. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't hurt to have extra visibility during the day.

Rick G