All Things Bonneville

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, Oct 27, 2014.

1. furygan

furygan Long Time Rider

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to put the fat 16" wheels from the Speedmaster on a T120? Just for looks...
  2. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    davyjones likes this.
  3. furygan

furygan Long Time Rider

Oddometer:
    Bors, davyjones and Philthy64 like this.
  4. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here, that's maybe the one I like the most in their lineup. Simple, neat, elegant. I'd love to have the same exhaust on my 2014 Scrambler but they say it won't fit.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. rixcafe

rixcafe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've now owned my '04 Thruxton for 12 months and 3500 miles. It has been a very satisfying motorcycle fulfilling its mission as a back road day tripper. Great handling, comfortable and fast enough for who it's for.
    "What year is that?" and "I had one of those" always make me smile.

[​IMG]
  7. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Way back in 2005 with my first Triumph (2001 Thunderbird triple) I realized there were always going to be three things I heard at every gas station:

1. "What year is that?"
    2. "I thought they went out of business?"
    3. "I had a Triumph/Dad had a Triumph/Uncle had a Triumph/Mom's boyfriend had a Triumph back in nineteen-sixty-something"
  8. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was filling up at a station once when a kid on a Honda sportbike pulled in. He said something about not seeing many Triumphs around here, but he preferred the older ones, not the newer ones like mine. Mine was a pretty nice '71 Blue 650 Tiger. He seemed pretty shocked when I told him my bike was probably twice as old as he was.
  9. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    You forgot "Did you restore it yourself?" :rofl
    PDarnall, maydaymike and rixcafe like this.
  10. Old Queenslander

Old Queenslander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a WC T100 and my friends ride air cooled models. On a long ride my 14.5L tank takes me at least 360kms sometimes the reserve lght comes on at 350kms with 70kms range remaining according to the computer. Mt friends on the older air cooled models are looking for fuel at the 240km mark and they have bigger 16L tanks. So the WC model is a lot more economical. Chain adjustment is a pain in the arse. I just replaced mine today after 29500kms, it was stuffed.
    [​IMG]IMG_2053 by Drew Jackson, on Flickr
  11. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 1200 runs anywhere from 295 to 325 kms before I have to fuel up. And i run the tank right down, I 've had 1km worth of fuel showing. Its surprisingly accurate. Mind you I'm north of 290 lbs and 6'2". I face some rather strong headwinds on my commute and I like to wind the bike up on occasion.

I had mine parked downtown one Friday night, stopped at the bank on my way home from work. I guy comes out of the tavern, says how much he likes my Bonnevile and starts talking about his old 1972 Tiger. I told him mine was a 2016. He looks real close at the engine, radiator and front brakes. He shook his head in disgust and as he walked away he said "I don't like your bike anymore".
    PDarnall and rixcafe like this.
  12. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the ability to start at the press of a button, keep the oil inside the engine and have a headlamp that actually illuminates the road are real downers.
  13. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Somehow this photo just seems natural for Triumphs.

The blue and white Triumph has always been my favorite motorcycle, responsible for 50 years of riding adventures.
    XT Traveler likes this.
  14. ghoststrykre

ghoststrykre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was on the highway doing about 68mph on my Street Twin. Decided to pass the car ahead. Clutch in, downshift, rev match, clutch out and off I went. Power went smoothly, but as the RPMs grew I heard a metallic ringing noise out of the engine. Rather high in pitch. Almost like the noise my lock nut makes on my clutch cable if it comes loose, but it sounded like it had a tad more weight to it.
    I completed my pass and shifted back to (I think) 4th and rolled along at 75mph or so with no more issues. Rev limiter never got engaged. Anyone know what this metallic ringing could have been out of the engine?
  15. rixcafe

Oddometer:
    Detonation or pre-ignition. Fresh petrol and what octane?
  16. ghoststrykre

Oddometer:
    I'm running 93 octane that I got last week, and I believe it is at most 10% ethanol. I got lazy and didn't ride to the ethanol-free 91 octane across town. I wondered if it could be a rattling side stand as I've heard of that, but the sound just felt and sounded as if it was coming off of the engine area.
  17. rixcafe

Oddometer:
    Detonation will produce a pinging sound under a very high load as you describe. Back off and it goes away. 91 octane is adequate stock.
    ghoststrykre likes this.
  18. ghoststrykre

Oddometer:
    i was honestly just using the 93 because of the added fuel detergents used in it. Are you saying I’m using too high of an octane and it’s causing detonation? It absolutely goes away as I back off the throttle. So if I go to 91 it should be better?

if so then I’ll give it a whirl! Thanks!
  19. rixcafe

Oddometer:
    93 will not cause problems you describe but why pay if not needed?
    ghoststrykre likes this.
  20. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Unless the fuel was stale, it wouldn't be your problem. The higher octane might burn a faction of a percent less completely than lower octane, theoretically. In reality it ain't worth troubling your mind over.

As to the mystery noise. What kinda' condition are the chains and sprockets in?