All Things Bonneville

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rider33, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Looks like his washing machine and car broke down on the same day and he's on his way to the laundromat! :D

I had a Beakster (R1150R) for about 7 years. Great bike, got rid of it last year and sometimes wish I hadn't.
    rixcafe and B02S4 like this.
  2. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or, to get half-inch higher bars you can stack stainless steel washers on the top cripple-clamp under the stock risers and use the original large long bolts & nuts. I put flatter bars on my T100, found them too low, did that and the back feels much better. One of these days I'll try another half inch - I'll take the stock big bolts from my risers to the marine store I know sells U.S.-made fastenings and duplicate them but with bolts an inch longer, then stack more stainless washers to get a full inch more rise. The washers I used are the same outside diameter as the Triumph riser pillars and look fine when all's reassembled. Far cheaper than buying taller pillars and I can't see any reason why it's not as safe. I do recommend being sure to get proper U.S. bolts and not trust your life to Chinese fastenings. No. 5 bolts seem correct for the purpose, not stainless bolts - too much of the bolt is buried and air-deprived which can be the death of stainless used in tension or sheer. (The washers are in compression; no problems likely.)
    HapHazard likes this.
  3. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    First real test of the cheap Tombstone-style windshield from Amazon:

I led the local RAT group on a short (100 mile) ride yesterday since it was a beautiful fall day in Colorado and the aspen and cottonwood trees are almost done turning gold. Had a great ride and it was the first long ride with the new windshield I got back in July.

(Here's the link for those interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z441N8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details )

After some tweaking I got the thing mounted solidly and I have to say it did a good job of blocking the wind. It should make a nice "winter" shield since I ride year 'round. Overall I'd say for $50 it was a good buy. It matches the classic styling of the bike and seems to work without any drama and that's really all I expect of a windshield.

A few pics:

2021-10-03 15.04.22.jpg

2021-10-03 15.04.48.jpg

View from the cockpit:

2021-10-03 15.04.57.jpg

I also went back to the old Givi-knock-off trunk instead of the Harley Tourpack style trunk I bought a few months ago. That thing turned out to be made of very cheap plastic and was not detachable. So I sold it and put this one back on. This one doesn't quite match the "look" of the bike but it's easily removable and just so darn useful I can't do without it. I bought it in 2009 when I had a Scrambler and this has now been on 4 different bikes. It seems to be indestructible.
    Bors, XT Traveler, Hookalatch and 3 others like this.
  4. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    BTW if anybody gets a shield like that one, post up a message or shoot me a PM and I can give you some advice on the best way to mount it. It doesn't come with instructions and it took me about 3 tries before I finally got it right.

All the fasteners are metric Allen bolts so it's a good idea to have a set of T-handle Allen wrenches to install it.
  5. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    It's not by accident that I live in a wonderful place to ride motorcycles. Unfortunately we have had another summer plagued by record breaking heat, fires, and lots of smoke.
    For about 2 months it was too smoky to be outside for more than a few minutes and it really curtailed my riding. Lately the fires have been increasing brought under control and the air has cleared on most days. It has been clearer to the east so I headed out that way last weekend.

Anytime I head east I travel thru miles of these rock walls. I never tire of marveling at them. They are all dry stacked, about 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide.
    IMG_4886.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    Most of the roads I generally ride on have more curves than straight sections. They are not all that way however. This is on the way to Lassen National Park.
    IMG_5223.JPG
    Unfortunately there is still a fire burning in the park and it is closed.
    IMG_5229.JPG

I kept heading east and stopped for a photo in the Hat Creek area.
    IMG_5269.JPG
    On my way to Fall River Mills I went thru Cassel. Cassel is a very small community, not on any regular thoroughfare. You pretty much have to want to go there. Which makes it all the more remarkable the art works made from scrap metal you find there. 2 brothers have been adding to this unusual collection for several years. Normally involved with construction they use discarded and left over materials to design these creatures when things slow down in the winter. Here are just a few.
    IMG_5290.JPG
    IMG_5283.JPG
    IMG_5301.JPG
    IMG_5294.JPG
    IMG_5286.JPG
    Shin1ichi2002, Don03st, Bors and 14 others like this.
  6. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the Newchurch models had 1" or 7/8" bars?

I'd like a set of factory bend bars in black like that model features, but I've got 1" bar and controls and I don't know which size that model came with.
  7. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the stock shocks on the se 13"? Any one fitted 12.5"? I have a chance to pick up a set of slightly used progressive 412s in 12.5" standard. I think the stock suspsension is slowly causing me spinal compression issues....[​IMG]
  8. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    I don't have an SE, however I previously had PS412 shocks, & if plush is what you're after, those aren't it.
  9. s.ga.rider

Oddometer:
    Most reviews I've read said they are the best shock for the money and a lot better than stock. The oem se shocks are terrible
  10. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    They are better than the A/C Bonnie OEM shocks.
  11. rixcafe

rixcafe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Thruxton they should have built.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would argue the Thruxton might have been best seller in the Bonneville range had it been built as a higher spec roadster rather than a tarted up boy racer. More power, bigger brakes, sharper steering and alloy rims, what's not to like? Some may not care for rear sets but these work perfect for me with this handlebar-seat combination. I was very indifferent to this bike when I rode it a couple of years ago, didn't care for the ergos or the styling. Last year I was offered the bike at a very attractive price and took a gamble that I could make it work. Am very pleased with the results.

Rick
  12. wetwider

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick,

If I'm not mistaken, you had Pirelli Sport Demon tires on your Thruxton awhile back & now have Avons. Would you please tell us how they compare?
    I just went though what a bunch of us are experiencing with the pandemic and supply chain mess making tires hard to get and was only able to buy Pirelli Sport Demon for my Bonny. It's run through two sets of Avon Roadriders I've liked a lot but there are none to be found - all sold out, new ones maybe on a ship anchored somewhere. I can't wait if I wanna keep riding so bought the Pirellis . They aren't mounted yet and I've still time to send 'em back if others say they're awful. What's your opinion, please?

BTW, with 13" Hagons in back, progressive springs in the forks, and the triple trees lowered 5/8" on the fork tubes, the bike on Roadriders is a flickable dream compared to the handling dog she was out of the box. 'Hope the Demons don't destroy that.

Thanks.
  13. rixcafe

rixcafe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I bought the bike last September it had a brand new Sport Demon up front, with a wobble. Remounted, rebalanced and a still a wobble. As I was not the original purchaser with a receipt, Pirelli would not replace a clearly brand new tire so I took my business somewhere else. As long as your new tires are round I think you will be like them. Other than mileage most reviews are favorable.
  14. wetwider

Oddometer:
    Thankya kindly Rick.
  15. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I've had one front and 2 rear Sport Demons on my '12 Maggie. Hated them, although they stuck ok. MUCH stiffer than the stock Metz radials, mediocre mileage (5k at best from the rear) and handled like crap as they get past half worn.

Now that Conti makes the Road Attack 3s in the stock Maggie sizes, I've gone with them. Night and day difference.
  16. s.ga.rider

Oddometer:
    Got my m bars and d9 lay flat bracket installed. Looks a lot better with the d9 installed.

20211019_150201.jpg
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  17. geolpilot

geolpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2005 Bonnie did this yesterday. 20211019_104131_1634760123692_resized.jpg
  18. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^Must be your lucky day, all them 7's!:thumbup
  19. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    Who has a good analog clock they’d recommend that mounts to handlebar or bar clamp? I’m one of those mildly neurotic people who always had to know what time it is.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  20. wetwider

Oddometer:
    I've had a "Bike Watch" clock on my steering head bolt since I bought the bike. It looks just like most handlebar mount clocks (white numbers & hands, black background, chrome bezel) but is a rubberized push-fit into a collar held on to the big nut with a set-screw. Well made & very tidy. `Ridden nearly 40,000 miles with it there, never tried to come off, needs a new battery every couple years, no biggie to change (though I let the watch shop guy do it - prying the case open ain't easy for most of us). Takes your basic watch battery.

Interesting - I'm seldom interested in the time while riding but this thing's handy. Trying for miles before dark and wonder how long you've got? Look down. PIA to check the wrist watch. And no, I've no connection to any watch or clock maker or purveyor of the things. My clock was a party favor when I bought the bike.