Allegheny National Forest ATV Trails (Timberline, etc) NEED GPX - Help!

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Zatoichi101, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Zatoichi101

Zatoichi101 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need some help finding GPX files for the main trails in the Allegheny National Forest, specifically the Timberline Trail loops A, B, etc.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd553354.pdf

We went down there last week and there were no GPX files I could find, and nothing pops up in the Garmin. So, we were left with the paper map in the above link, which is the same one the Park Service will give you when you purchase the permit to ride the trails. But that map proved completely worthless back in the trails as almost NOTHING is marked. So there is no real way to figure out where you are on the map.

And so, I am trying to find some GPX files of all of the trails on this map.

If anyone has any information on where I could find those, I would sure appreciate it.
  2. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ever get them. I never saw the post. I have gpx tracks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  3. Zatoichi101

Oddometer:
    Sperduton!! NO -- I haven't been able to find them anywhere! Thanks for getting back to me -- I will pm you.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    for future reference... if you have a trail map ( pdf or jpg) you can georeference the image, so that it will display on top of your regular maps. then you can go play, and see where you are on the trail map in real time.

Screenshot_2018-11-16-06-10-45.png

here's what it looks like once you georeference the park map, i turned the opacity down some so you can see the base layer map below it...

Screenshot_2018-11-16-06-12-29.png

then you can run whichever loop you want and know where you are, no trail markers needed.

georeferencing can be done via Google earth, garmin basecamp, Avenza, maprika, and several other phone apps, i use one called locus.

it's pretty handy if the only park map is at the trail head on a bulletin board... just snap a picture of it with a phone/tablet, georeference it in the app, go ride.
  5. Zatoichi101

Oddometer:
    ohgood -- Thank you for this information. Never knew anything about this possibility. I will try that as well!