Allstate PUCH Twing, ding, ding...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by spokester, Mar 9, 2016.

1. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    One hundred and seventy five cee cees of Austrian thunder came into my possession at a minimal cost. Here's what it looked like; DSCN5073.JPG DSCN5072.JPG DSCN5075.JPG DSCN5079.JPG
    BertieBassett and Combustify like this.
  2. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was unbelievable how bad I wanted to get this thing running so that I could ride it! The Austrian build quality is right up there with BMW. They even use the same ignition key. Note RayOVac 6 volt lantern battery and slimy subframe center stand holder :) DSCN5089.JPG

Piston pin puller DSCN5095.JPG DSCN5096.JPG DSCN5097.JPG
    BertieBassett and Combustify like this.
  3. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    These PUCHs were sold mail order by Sears under the Allstate brand name in the 1960s. I was able to acquire the owners/shop manual here in America. It covered everything from assembly out of the crate to full overhaul and parts manual. Also, I got a gasket set here. My same internet inquiry in Germany yielded a bonanza of hits and any and everything was awesomely available. My even more awesome German wife handled the online ordering chores and DING-DONG, new pistons, bearings, seals and carb float and needle were on the door step the next day...all the way from Australia (Austria)...born in a Billabong tree and raised by Koalas! Second oversize on the pistons, sent the cylinder(s) off to Newcomb to be bored. I specified .004" clearance so that I could give it a very hard break in :) Note piggy back connecting rod for the unique "twingle" arrangement. DSCN6084.JPG

The gear selector mechanism at the top of the crankcase is rather complicated. The book said not to mess with it if you didn't have to...I didn't! DSCN6085.JPG

I love the compact "Power Egg" design of this engine! DSCN6179.JPG DSCN6182.JPG
  4. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here you can see the intake port where a single carburetor serves "both" cylinders and their single combustion chamber and spark plug. Note dual exhaust pipes serving the front cylinder. Choke is cleverly incorporated into the air filter cover. Six volt DC generator pumps out the WATTS! DSCN6185.JPG DSCN6186.JPG

Attached Files:

Houseoffubar and BertieBassett like this.
  5. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCN6189.JPG DSCN6191.JPG
    slideways and BertieBassett like this.
  6. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets see some smoke! SAE 40 2T oil from 1976 at 16:1 ratio :) DSCN6192.JPG DSCN6195.JPG
  7. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somebody needed to do something about the gas tank...probably me. Luckily, the petcock from my 500cc Motor Guzzi fitted that thang. Rattle can rescue and note tool drawer mat knee grips :rofl DSCN6233.JPG DSCN6239.JPG DSCN6241.JPG

Attached Files:

8. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCN6252.JPG

Custom molding on the green front fender will require some attention. DSCN6261.JPG

Green grips in custom with PUCH color motif :) and a hack job with a couple of PUCH toolbox stickers :imaposer DSCN6333.JPG
  9. mellephants

mellephants loves dirtbikes

Oddometer:
    Wow!!
    spokester and Houseoffubar like this.
  10. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets drive this thing! My awesome German bike and my awesome Australian wife...I mean my awesome Australian bike and my awesome German wife...I mean my awesome Austrian wife and her awesome Australian bike...I mean my awesome German wife and my awesome Austrian bike. DSCN9548.JPG
  11. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it. I have a 250cc I need to do something with.
    Houseoffubar and spokester like this.
  12. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two of my buddies are expert trials riders and I always get them to sign off on my projects! DSCN9540.JPG DSCN9546.JPG

A lot of attention was centered around this unit! DSCN9563.JPG DSCN9553.JPG
    Now I hope to find some pictures about how I removed the one inch of bondo from the front fender and other details like how I determined that the 50 year old Semperit tires are good for another 50 years and about how the rear shocks were rebuildable with 1 and 7/8 cubic inches of oil (I ain't kiddin')...it was 40wt and the internet provided the conversion to ccs.
  13. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of pics. Brand new OEM luggage rack for an early 80s KZ 750 Twin was a dead bolt up with just a few hardware store spacers and bolts. Now ready for a big time camping trip! Look at the shocks in the photo. They come apart like a pair of forks would. I was able to revamp the leather seals and refill with the 1 and 7/8 cubic inches of 40wt oil (Havoline) :) DSCN0257.JPG

Post It note makes excellent trip meter. I'm a huge stickler for originality :) DSCN0259.JPG
    BertieBassett likes this.
  14. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely love this bike. And the Kaw luggage rack. And the Post It note tripmeter. And the buddy approval system. SWEET!!!!!
    spokester likes this.
  15. Combustify

Combustify n00b

Oddometer:
    spokester likes this.
  16. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I like them there things, thanks for sharing on here. :-)
    nsu max and spokester like this.
  17. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Houseoffubar and Combustify like this.
  18. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job! My Zundapp has an egg motor too. I had no idea the "Australians" made such a nice little bike :D
    Houseoffubar and spokester like this.
  19. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sweet little power egg has very nice pulling properties. Because the intake and exhaust timing are handled by the front cylinder and the transfer timing is handled by the rear cylinder, it's one of the few two strokes that doesn't "hunt" or "surge" at steady cruising speed. Also aided by the division between the two cylinders acting somewhat as a "deflector dome" piston as seen in older outboard motors and such. Not giving the incoming fuel charge a straight shot at the exhaust port.:beer
  20. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    A sweet addition to my PUCH, a Vermont license tag! Bike was missing papers :( I have recently enjoyed some high quality riding, bike runs perfectly! DSCN1222.JPG

Took it on a camping trip, along with my OSSA Plonker. DSCN1239.JPG DSCN1235.JPG