Allstate PUCH Twing, ding, ding...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by spokester, Mar 9, 2016.

1. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    Ossa MAR? Used to play on one many years ago....
    spokester likes this.
  2. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Bertie! I need to research that MAR business, I hope it is one, but I recall they were called Plonkers back in the day.
    I just completed some work on it which I plan to post up in the trials thread later. Hope you and Crusty are well, Gerry
    BertieBassett likes this.
  3. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    BertieBassett likes this.
  4. BertieBassett

BertieBassett RustRider

Oddometer:
    spokester likes this.
  5. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bike is really cool, the ossa too. Thanks for posting it, a very interesting read!
    spokester likes this.
  6. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you like!:D
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  7. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. theforthstooge

theforthstooge Doin good for a burnt out shell of a Man

Oddometer:
    Your write up inspired me to get one, pick up a 1966 next week . I like the lines of that thing hope in person it has the same affect as a picture
    Houseoffubar and spokester like this.
  9. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awsome! I think you will be impressed by the build quality, a bit like BMW's. They all got parked back due to lack of spare parts and service back in those days. I look forward to seeing some pics of what you get!
  10. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having put about 3-400 miles on the motor, I decided to pull it down to make sure the pistons and cylinders were living a happy life and to see if it needed to be decarbonized. Pistons looked great, I'm glad I gave them an extra thou running clearance. Exhaust was heavily carboned. Pieces resemble a prehistoric fish skeleton! I'm using cheapo oven cleaner on the parts. Will replace the "steel wool" stuff. Snap-on lift goes to 4 feet high. Ideal for seeing the bottom of the motor :) Engine has to tip forward in it's mounts to get the cylinder off. Also giving it a general tune up and a few little fixes. I wound the kickstart spring a little tighter and also increased the tension on the clutch springs. DSCN6007.JPG DSCN6009.JPG DSCN6011.JPG
  11. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran into a fellow Sears rider down at the motorsports park in SC. DSCN5993.JPG DSCN5995.JPG

Attached Files:

jimroid likes this.
  12. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Celebrate our National Championship :) DSCN5906.JPG
    davebeef likes this.
  13. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Binding twine is an element of sealing the internal components of the baffle assembly. Note the new "steel wool" pan scrubber inside the baffle :) DSCN6028.JPG DSCN6029.JPG
  14. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cotton rope and pan scrubbers! Sweet. :)
    spokester likes this.
  15. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to mention, I cleaned the parts with Dollar store oven cleaner!
  16. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    My baby Sears left me stranded, on and off electrically dead. The problem turned out to be a fairly new battery that was intermittently defective. In my 40 plus years of troubleshooting I have never seen anything quite like it. It took a number of days in the workshop to pin down the problem. If I had known this was the problem, I could have gotten home on a 6 volt lantern battery! I'll carry one as a spare from now on. I was thinking of wiring one in series with the existing 6 volt system to power a 12 volt Garmin and my cell phone charger anyway. Here is a pic of the lengthy troubleshooting process and the nature of my temporary repair. The defective battery is visible near the front wheel in the first picture.

DSCN6104.JPG DSCN6106.JPG
    Bultaco74 and theforthstooge like this.
  17. Houseoffubar

Houseoffubar HoFmetalworks.com

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great info here everyone!
    I just picked up a 250 (motor only) that is going in a custom built chassis.
    Very excited to hear her run!
    spokester likes this.
  18. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had Sears/Puch 250s for over 40 years, probobly the most under rated and under apriciated antique bike ever. IMHO.
    spokester and jimroid like this.
  19. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just noticed my old PUCH mouse pad is being used to pad the battery in the last photo!
  20. Steadwood

Steadwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed this thread and found it to be a source of knowledge and inspiration . So after reading the section on stripping , cleaning and rebuilding the exhaust I decided to copy and do the same on my own bike . The use of pan scrubbers in the exhaust baffles is a stroke of genius and news to me but I like your way of thinking . I have a lot more work to do since I bought the bike in May 19 as a non runner with no papers . I have particularly enjoyed meeting people in different parts of the world while gathering parts and knowledge . My latest purchase is the front fender which came from Das in the Netherlands and before that the exhaust header pipes were kindly provided by Troy from Los Angeles . I am currently seeking an intake silencer for the carburettor , it intrigues me who I will meet from what part of the world in sourcing that particular part . Below are pics of as bought and how it currently looks . puch 110519.JPG puch 120720.jpg
    spokester likes this.