Almost All The Way to Prudhoe Bay and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigbore4, May 25, 2019.

1. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ETA Title change / update

I will try to post this as close to real time as I can, but as you can see already a few days behind. If you are on our route of travel, holler out!

Wednesday, 5-22-19

And so it begins again....... FINALLY!

Had a few distractions, but finally got the bike loaded yesterday for departure this morning. I am riding with long time friend, Butch. @Pca1957 . I have long wanted to ride to Alaska, and all the way to Deadhorse once I heard about The Dalton Highway. Butch has always wanted to do the Alaska Highway, his grandpa worked on construction up there during the war. So we each have a major bucket list item this ride.

We’re riding a pair of Super Tenere’s, mine is a black 2012 Nuclear bike, his a 2013 in White. His is fairly new to him, we met the seller in Bozeman this past winter to fetch it up. Both bikes are well sorted we are leaving on new Mitas E07 + and fresh oil and other service. Without spilling all the beans, after we reach our primary objective, we plan to return to the lower 48, and spend several more weeks riding about. Planning on about 2 months total for the trip.

So… The following in italics is one of the last paragraphs from my 2017 ride report.

My big objective on this ride was to fill in most of the missing states that I have ridden in. I filled in 13 states this trip, and I have now ridden a motorcycle in every state save one, ALASKA!

I plan to fix that! And I live within a few hours distance of the Canadian border and have never ridden in Canada. We are planning to cut up early enough to get Manitoba, then the provinces between us and our objective.

Here’s some pics of the departure:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What a day! Cold and rain and wind all the way. We gave the wave off to camping. All the outer gear was wet, we were cold, and I don’t care what gear you have, all day in rain and wind at speed and stuff gets wet.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day, but we are OFF!

And that was all the pics for today. I never grabbed the camera one time after the departure. It was a cold miserable day.
    Blue Mule, DYNOBOB, 23103a and 10 others like this.
  2. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thursday, 05-23-19

Thursday was a much better day! Warm ad sunny ALL DAY LONG! We left Devils Lake and headed NW. My riding partner had his iPhone die and needed a replacement. Don’t it just figure, ride with the Beemer crowd and fix bikes on the side of the road, ride with an iPhone user and need to stop at a phone store.

The ATT store in Devils lake didn’t open till 10:00 AM. We found one in the small town of Belcourt ND. Small town, had an ATT store and they opened at 9:00. So we knocked an hour off our delay by going there. Guys knew their stuff, we got hooked up pretty quickly and headed for the border.

[​IMG]

From here we went west just a few miles and crossed into Canada at International Peace Garden. US 281to the border. Easy crossing, CA agents were great, and we were off on our adventure.

[​IMG]

Initially I had my GPS set avoid highways, but it is all the same scenery so I set it back and we worked our way up to highway 1, a little way west of Brandon. From there it was highway 1 all the way to Regina where we picked up highway 11. And buggered ourselves.

All the way to Regina, every small town had motels, right out at the highway. We were feeling pretty good and wanted to get to the west side and figured we would move on to the next town and grab a room. Yea right. Halfway to Saskatoon we found Davidson SK and a small seedy looking place. As it turns out, it was ok, I have stayed in lots worse. Comfy bed, loads of water pressure in the shower. Pretty much all you need. And the little truck stop restaurant out on the highway actually put up a really decent burger. All in all it worked out. But it was a longish day at close to 500 miles.

Here are a few pics from the days ride:

Devils Lake

[​IMG]

@Pca1957
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did not find the expanse of The Great Plains boring, to the contrary it was beautiful in its own way.
    EZMoney, Amphib, Foiler and 8 others like this.
  3. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday, 05-24-19

We were rolling around 8:30 this morning. Still on highway 11 until we picked up 16 in Saskatoon. We stopped on the west side of Saskatoon for gas and breakfast. Back in the saddle heading for Edmonton. We had a reservation in a decent motel on the west side. Might be the last shot at decent Wi-Fi till we get to Fairbanks. Not much to say about The Great Plains. We have both crossed a bunch of times in the US, it is bigger up here, but also different. I wouldn’t want to do it too many times but it is pretty and scenic in its own way. About 50 miles short of the hotel it clouded up. We stopped for a gear adjustment and rolled into the hotel close to 4:30. Dinner and cocktail, and here I sit with more cocktails documenting the ride. I have been remiss though, not one food pic yet. When I get a plate of Poutine that I find worthy, I will l get a pic of that!

Love the displays the farmers set up around their flag poles.

[​IMG]

My buddy Butch out in front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alberta Saskatchewan border, You really had to watch for it!:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get the rain gear our again.

[​IMG]

And we found these guys hanging out right in town (Edmonton) on the way to the restaurant.

[​IMG]
    wilsonjw42, EZMoney, Amphib and 6 others like this.
  4. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday, 5-25-19

We started the morning by getting my friends bike sorted. We lost a long-time friend last year and Butch’s new to him bike needed a sticker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a nice morning and we got rolling heading NW on 16. Not far west of Edmonton we picked up highway 43. Followed that to BC and then highway 2 up to Dawson Creek, our first major objective, Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway.

Some views on the way up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In some places there were serious moose warning signs.

[​IMG]

And we are close!

[​IMG]

But before we get there we need the rain gear one more time!

[​IMG]

The ride was mostly good, a couple sections of rain but not heavy. Just enough to stop and once again adjust gear.

And finally the first of a few objectives for this trip:

[​IMG]

And a couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I placed a couple stickers, one for our friend Kieth who we lost last year, and one for Larry Weaver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we are off on our quest to ride The Alaska Highway!
  5. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Following along, may you find your tent every night.......
    Blue Mule likes this.
  6. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    In from NZ!! :wave
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    :lurk In...
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  8. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I was coming along with you guys. Maybe next time. Have a great time as I’m sure you will.
  9. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll need to do this again Schmiddy, plan on it.
  10. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    In :lurk:drink
  11. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And may it be free of housekeeping.
    Blue Mule and bobw like this.
  12. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the view from our cabin porch in Toad River tonight. Struggling to get up and work on the report.
    20190526_195128.jpg
    TOTim, Rich Rider, EZMoney and 12 others like this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have stayed there a couple of times and it is a nice stop.
    Bigbore4 and bobw like this.
  15. RidewithAB

RidewithAB Just Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in, and ready to do another Alaska trip, so much to see up there.
    bobw and Phoenix101 like this.
  16. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip so far! Keep up the good work!

And if your southbound route has you stopping over in Prince George, hit me up. I'm on acreage just west of town with tons of lawn to camp on, plus a spare room and couch space if you need a break from the great outdoors (and the mosquitoes!)

Cheers!
    DisqoG and Bigbore4 like this.
  17. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great start so far. Enjoy the trip.

Rob
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  18. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll keep that in mind with thanks!

Whitehorse tonight. Going up to Dawson tomorrow.

I'll try to get another post up tonight.
    B10Dave and Phoenix101 like this.
  19. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    in
  20. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday, 05-26-19

Whoooeeeee, what a day!

We left Dawson Creek a shade before 9:00 AM. The night before my friend Butch had found info in the trestle bridge on a stretch of the original Alaska Highway over the Kiskatinaw River. So we went and rode over it. What a cool place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The river the trestle spans:

[​IMG]

One taken from downstream:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just a bit farther up the old road this marvel of Beaver engineering. New meaning to the term Busy as a Beaver!

[​IMG]

Ran into a rider from Sau Paolo Brazil at a gas stop. His English was not real good, but far better than my Portuguese! He was on one of the small GS’s, I have a sticker buried in my gear for the cabinet in the cave. He claimed he rode all the way, but did not understand me when I asked about the Darien Gao. Regardless, he was up well into Canada on a GS from Brazil. Much Respect!

#AndyNaEstrada

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We saw seven bear today, a couple moose, a Caribou, some sheep, and a moose swimming across the lake.

[​IMG]

More vastness, not sure that is a legitimate word use but it fits.

[​IMG]

Getting their boats in the water.

[​IMG]

The moose hung on just long enough for a pic:

[​IMG]

This Caribou was very cooperative pacing me down the road. I did not notice the dust from his big feet pounding the shoulder till I uploaded the pic:

[​IMG]
    And some sheeps for @bluestar :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We did about 400 miles today. It was awesome. Fantastic scenery throughout the day, and the last 50 or so miles wonderful twisties to have some fun on.

We stopped for gas in Fort Nelson.. I asked the young lady working if there was someplace up the road to get rooms. She recommended Toad River Lodge. $125Ca for 2 beds. Food, Fuel and cabins. Great spot! Here are a couple pics from the porch on our cabin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And had the first oops of the trip. Ran the bike up to gas up after we settled in the room. I picked it off the side stand after fueling, put my foot in a low spot and over we went. Quite a load to get up even for 2 of us. A little scrapped skin, wounded pride but good to go for tomorrow!

And after dinner and having a couple drinks, I got me a postcard pic:
    [​IMG]
    HiJincs, DisqoG, EZMoney and 8 others like this.