Almost All The Way to Prudhoe Bay and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigbore4, May 25, 2019.

1. Holeshot08

Holeshot08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Amazing pics....Fun!
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  2. neckbracebob

neckbracebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to pick up the gold nuggets along those Alaskan streams. The Klondikers left some for you.
    DisqoG and bobw like this.
  3. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are making great time. I hope you're doing some sightseeing and investigating in addition to all the riding.
  4. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rolled into Dawson City tonight. Looking at the dredge piles I would say that's covered.
    Phoenix101 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  5. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. We kind of have an agenda for the first bit. When we get Prudhoe Bay in the bag we'll be slowing down. Long day so far around 500 miles.
    bobw, B10Dave and rubline like this.
  6. Wfoducati

Wfoducati n00b

Oddometer:
    Did Butchie have an "I fall down" button for ya? Have fun crossing the last state off your list tomorrow (I assume)
    Holeshot08 likes this.
  7. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The I fall down button is on the cabinet in the cave. I guess I will need to carry it on my person now.

We should be crossing to pick up my last state tomorrow. Appropriately at the most remote US border crossing.
    Phoenix101 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  8. Holeshot08

Holeshot08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not seeing the rough roads they used to warn about ...looks like great roads so far.
  9. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we found some frost heaves and the gravel on the US side was loose and had us wandering a bit.
  10. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Weather in Fairbanks is currently awesome! I've seen some rain in the forecast for the weekend. Careful up to Deadhorse if its raining, the Dalton gets a bit slick if the rain is that far north.
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  11. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monday, 5-27-19

Today found us putting in another pretty long day at 490 miles or so, Toad River to Whitehorse. We stopped to gs up in Teslin, and might have stopped but dusty, busy and noisy. We decided to go for it.

Today was another day of boundless scenery. I did not take as many pictures today, just kind of lost myself in it. I think a couple are of Muncho Lake, it was gorgeous and I just soaked it in. We did stop in Watson Lake and walk through the sign forest. I think I will just post up the pics I have and let them do most of the talking today.

A selfie before leaving Toad River Lodge and Reflection Lake.

[​IMG]

Just getting going and this comes into view.

[​IMG]

A couple along Muncho Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fist time ever in Yukon for me, well technically it was the 4th or 5th time by the time we found a somewhat official looking sign!

[​IMG]

Obligatory stop at Watson Lake and the Sign Forest.

[​IMG]

Don’t recall for sure where this was but I like it so I’m posting it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The biker in the mirror shot.

[​IMG]

Not a great shot but caught this fella in the mud bath at the culvert.

[​IMG]

Enjoying the scenery.

[​IMG]

Fist stretch of construction in over 2000 miles. We caught the pilot car turning around and followed him to the head of the line.

[​IMG]

Cool bridge.

[​IMG]

And more stunning views.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the glare on this one, but it is pretty regardless.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow (today as I am now writing this) we head up to Top Of The World Highway.
    HiJincs, B10Dave, EZMoney and 8 others like this.
  12. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are hoping it's not but if it is raining up north we will either wait or wave it off.
    rubline likes this.
  13. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay safe, keep the rubber side down, and if you get in a bind in interior Alaska just give a shout and I'm sure some crazy inmate or inmates will lend a hand! Cant wait for my dempster trip in a couple of weeks!
    wilsonjw42, rubline and Bigbore4 like this.
  14. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuesday 5-28-19

So today based on advice from friends we turned off the Alaska Highway and headed northish up toward Dawson City. We saw no wildlife today. Roads were good and the scenery was good but what we were after was Dawson City. And it was worth it.

Montague Road House.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a bunch of pics from the ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we rolled into town there were huge dumps of gravel and stone from past mining operations, likely the big dredges. We stopped and gassed up on the outskirts of town and the young lady working the counter suggested the bunk house as a reasonable place to stay. It was and we did.

We unloaded the bikes and settled in a bit. As we were getting unloaded, we noticed a young lady painting a pickup with a roller brush. The counter clerk came out and was chatting with her and we started offering our commentary. Long story short, it seems it was the Swiss counter clerk’s birthday and they started the celebratory event the night before. Apparently the young lady got a little exuberant with the spray paint and her solution was to repaint the truck with a roller.

[​IMG]

We walked the town, checked out the Keno.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asked about the ferry and then landed at the Sourdough Saloon for drinks and dinner. A Gal Pal of mine suggest the sour toe cocktail, It was not available until 9:00 PM so I had to pass. We went back to the room.

We had a couple drinks and the neighbor came out to chat. What an interesting evening. This gentleman grew up in Germany during the war. His brother was an ME109 pilot shot down and captured and imprisoned in in the southern US. George was working on a farm where a US pilot parachuted in and the farmer arm-stronged the Nazi’s to let him keep the prisoner to work the farm.

George emigrated to Canada as a young man, somehow found his way to the USA after that and along the way was drafted into the US Army. He flew helicopters and shot on army rifle and pistol teams. His dad was a gunsmith in Germany. Fascinating guy.

He was up in Dawson City YT in a tesla driven up from California! He had worked out how to get charged on the road (heavy duty repair shops, welding shops all have 240 or 480 volt sources) And he was planning his routes down to the minute. He was looking for a charge station closer to the Dempster, he needed every minute of charge and Dawson City to Inuvik wasn’t good enough, he needed a charge at the start of the Dempster.

Like I said, fascination guy. Pic is me, George and my friend and riding partner Butch, AKA @Pca1957 .

[​IMG]

Tomorrow Top Of The World Highway!
    HiJincs, wilsonjw42, B10Dave and 10 others like this.
  15. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks for taking the time to post. Can you put a link, in the first post to your 2017 / other trips?
  16. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The trips in my sigline are hot links.
    blatant likes this.
  17. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    REAL TIME UPDATE!

The drinking lamp is lit on Airport Way in Fairbanks AK!
  18. Wfoducati

Wfoducati n00b

Oddometer:
    Happy you're having a good time old man, but we're having a blast in Wisconsin without you. We'll eat an egger, double brat, and breath in the race gas at Road America for you tomorrow morning. We had perfect weather on the ride out this morning.

Attached Files:

Holeshot08 and elron like this.
  19. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please do! I will miss the races but we have a plan and are going to tackle The Dalton Highway tomorrow. You guys bank up some vacation, I would love to do this ride with you before I am too old to get a leg over the damn thing!

ETA Send me a picture of a steak from Schwartz's!
    elron likes this.
  20. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, 5-29-19

This morning we were a little slow getting started. We were up late jaw jacking with the German immigrant, and this morning we had decided to stay over another night. When we checked on room availability they wanted to punt us to a room with a shared bathroom. We decide if we had to move all our shit, we would just move it to the bikes and be off. But the delay did mess us up slightly.

So after breakfast, we loaded up and rolled out to go see the Number 4 dredge. Not far out of town and pretty cool. Our schedule did not line up with a tour, so I may WILL need to come back.

My friend Butch was chatting with the lady from Canada Parks and asked how she came to be up here? Her reply, was “no tits, no education, no money so I came up and went mining”. HILARIOUS! She has worked with some of the mining outfits on the BS TV drama’s. And was very knowledgeable about the dredge and how it worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this stop we ran back through town to catch the ferry. No line, and the Ferry was just pulling out of the other side. We rolled on and parked and pretty quick away we went!

[​IMG]

Once on the other side it was a quick climb up and BOOM the scenery belted ya right in the face! I’ll just throw in a few pics here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Butch seems to be enjoying the ride!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After somewhere around 100 miles of gravel, we got to the northernmost border crossing in the USA. And crossed back into the US. Felt pretty darn good.

And for me it was a very big deal. I have now ridden a motorbike in every one of These United States! I feel it was appropriate that my 50th state was Alaska!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cruised the rest of the way down and we are in Tok AK tonight after a brief stop in Chicken. Ran into the Brazilian guy again and chatted with him a while. He is working his way back down to San Francisco to store the bike at a friends and he will fly home to Brazil.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow an easy jog into Fairbanks, and then if we get a weather window, up to Deadhorse.