Almost All The Way to Prudhoe Bay and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigbore4, May 25, 2019.

1. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Real Time Update. In Fairbanks, need a little welding done in the morning. Then off to Denali Highway.
    Oh, and a Title change.
    Amphib and bobw like this.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope all is well.
  3. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have stipulated that. All is well, working on getting caught up. Is there any GOOD internet in AK?
    :jack

Which is why we come here, ESCAPE!
    bobw likes this.
  4. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thursday, 5-30-19

This morning we dawdled around and finally got rolling out of Tok around 11:00. We stopped a couple times for pictures. Order of pics suspect. Been a couple days and I am a forgetful old man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Memorial bridge at the Gerstle River crossing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we stopped in Delta Junction. Somehow we both spaced the fact it was the end of The Alaska Highway! After a coffee and a snack I said lets go check out the historic marker sign I saw on the way in. Good thing we did! End of the highway, and we got our passports stamped!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is pretty cool and is a great lead in for the next pic, my first actual view of the pipeline.

[​IMG]

My first look at the pipeline.

[​IMG]

After that a short stop in North Pole AK and then on in to Fairbanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this as we were coming onto Fairbanks. Any USAF guys care to call it?
    [​IMG]

We rolled into Fairbanks and went to a Super 8. Most reasonable deal we could find. Parked up carried the stuff in and covered the bikes as there were some folks hanging around. I went down later that evening with a cup of Whiskey. When I got down there it seems like our Super Tenere’s had been busy! There were 2 more of them out there! I called Butch to come down and we hung out there till the new guys came back from dinner. I do not think they are on ADVRIder, but on the Super Tenere forum they are @escapefjrtist and @panman. We jaw-jacked a while and then a couple Africa Twins rolled in. Father and son team from Jersey. A good time was had by all!

Adam and his dad Steve from Jersey, quite the pair. Jersey to Floriduh, to AZ and chunks of the BCDR on the way north. I gave Adam one of my cards, hoping he will chime in. He had a drone with him. Might have changed my mind on the drone subject. Crazy footage he had of his dad riding.

The all important Super Tenere's
    [​IMG]

The whole fam damnily
    [​IMG]

The plan for tomorrow is to roll earlyish for Coldfoot. Book a room for 2 nights. Then tackle the run up and back to Deadhorse in one go. We have a weather window so we want to try and take advantage.
  5. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holeshot08, Amphib and bobw like this.
  6. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool. We will see how we end up. If I get my rack welded soon enough we are heading for enali Highway. If we blow the morning, we may just go check one out!

For Dredge #2, define talking to the locals? Is it on private property? Who owns these things other than the tourist ones? That winter pic is fantastic!
  7. That.guy

Oddometer:
    There's mining claims and equipment near it, best bet would be to talk to the people there. I don't know who actually owns it now.
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  8. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updates... the photos brings back memories of places that I visited a couple of years ago...

keep it going...
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  9. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying your report. I rode to Alaska a couple of years ago; it's the only trip I've ever done that I pine away for. I miss that ride, and I like the memories your pictures bring back.

There aren't that many routes to get your from the lower 48 up to Alaska. Everyone either takes the Alcan, or the the Cassier/Alcan up. So everyone sees the same things, and you run into people repeatedly on the road. For me it a guy named Fernando from Argentina. We weren't riding together, but we ended up sharing a table at least three times simply do to the fact we would need gas at the same intervals. He spoke little English, and I even less Spanish. That made it all the more memorable.

I hope today is going well for you. I look forward to seeing your next batch of pictures.
    wilsonjw42 and Bigbore4 like this.
  10. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the comments. Keeps me working on it.
    DarkLeftArm, nick949eldo and RedUly like this.
  11. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Your 'Top of the World' pics are great. Rode it three times - two were in whiteout fog and blowing sneet. Those views were mostly of 20 feet in front of my bike! I'm in!
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  12. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR ! Wow there is a BLUE SKY in Alaska... we have found it to be a very rare situation when we are there.

Don't stay at Coldfoot... stay at Wiseman... we stayed here:

https://www.arcticgetaway.com/

the jet looks like a C17 to this old army guy
    wilsonjw42 and Bigbore4 like this.
  13. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C-17A. they're stationed at Elmendorf AFB AK.
    Holeshot08, TM1(SS) and Bigbore4 like this.
  14. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday, 5-31-19

Today we got a slightly earlier start as we headed for The Dalton Highway. We did not know what the day would bring, so we were rolling by about 7:30 AM. Weather reports were somewhat sketchy, predicting rain. As it turned out the ride was awesome all the way to Coldfoot! I shot so many pics today I won’t be able to recall where they were taken, but I will post some of the better scenes.

Had a partial technology disaster today. Hit one hell of a pothole, sharp edges and all. Tossed my phone out of the cradle! Got my hand on it and it slid out from under my gloved fingers and went south. I hollered on the comm to @Pca1957 to not run over my phone! He not only missed it, he saw it hit, come out of the not so protective case and slide off the road.

We doubled back and the search was on. By the time I found the right spot to get the side stand down and not have the bike go over he had found the case. A few seconds later the found the phone. Slid all the way down the bank to within a foot of going in the water. Screen broke, not bad still works!! So I saved my pics from the day!

Unfortunately there is no ATT store in Coldfoot AK!

The ride up was stellar view after stellar view. The stories you read, the pics you look at, just don’t do justice. Seeing it first hand is utterly amazing! I will throw up my pics, and they are pretty good, but plan on getting off yir ass and riding up here. It MUST be seen firsthand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great scenery started almost right away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the obligatory stop at the Arctic Circle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Coldfoot I left a couple stickers, this first one for Larry Weaver.

[​IMG]

And this one for our friend Keith who passed last year way too young.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow morning we plan to set off for Deadhorse!
  15. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    And no updates since 5/31? Did the guys make it up to the industrial Park at the end of the world? Curious minds want to know!
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  16. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's written. Struggling to find internet up here! I hope to get a couple more days up tonight.

Real time at breakfast in Whitehorse heading to Watson Lake for the night. Should have some interwebs there.
    rd400racer and TM1(SS) like this.
  17. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm confused/amazed that there isn't more snow in the mountains and s**t weather for a May/June ride to Alaska!!! I'm planning a trip up there next summer and would never consider going this early in the season. Down here in Colorado, we still can't ride above 9 or 10K feet because we are BURIED in snow.

enjoying your RR, keep on keeping on.
    Railrocker likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've had a great trip so far after that first day of cold rain out of MSP.
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  19. That.guy

Oddometer:
    The highest pass with a road through it in Alaska is only 4700'.
    Tijuana_Taxi, Bigbore4 and gpfan like this.
  20. FlyingSkeet

FlyingSkeet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great report
    Holeshot08 and Bigbore4 like this.